July 14, 2020, 09:02:52 PM

Author Topic: Your writing screen  (Read 820 times)

Offline Yora

Your writing screen
« on: November 01, 2019, 06:42:15 PM »
Since it's November I finally kicked myself to sit down and start to actually write something again. Has been way too long now.

And I realized that just for writing a manuscript, I don't really need a big screen full of buttons for fancy text formatting. A simple txt file will do. So this is how I set up my computer for writing:

Spoiler for Hiden:

(Putting large images in spoiler tags should help avoiding making this thread a total mess. Or just use a link.)

That background image has been on my computers for most of the last 15 years or so and has always been my primary reference for what my ideal fantasy environment looks like, so I don't mind having it occupy most of the screen.
We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on a big tower of other dwarves.

Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor

Online Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
Re: Your writing screen
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 05:13:50 PM »
I write in Scrivener's full-screen default. Just an open page and a list of chapters on the left. No distractions, so I can get fully immersed in what I'm doing.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2019, 11:31:03 PM »
I do Scrivener with most of the bells and whistles. I split the screen so I can have notes or rough-draft or another scene for reference in one half, while I'm writing in the other, and I have notes and tags and whatnot on the right so I can scribble thoughts that occur (like things that need to be considered for edits, or how this impacts another storyline) as I go.

I also have two monitors (because the computer is set up for my husband's work) so I often have a web browser in the other monitor so I can switch over and google things - spelling, definitions, historical notes, whether the Caucasus has any mythology of dragons, etc.

Online CameronJohnston

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 03:36:22 PM »
I just use a bog standard Word blank white screen.

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline MrNybble

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2019, 08:01:37 PM »
Google Docs for drafts as I can use it anywhere on anything and it backups across all devices. Microsoft office (2013) for editing.

Considering most of my writing is done on tablets, I don't have much screen space to work with.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 08:40:46 PM by MrNybble »

Offline Matthew

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2019, 09:11:00 PM »
I've been using Quoll Writer on a cheapo laptop that I use just for writing.... until I get sidetracked by streaming. Still, the agonising slowness of the machine (on top of the minimal Linux I use) means I can stay focused a lot better than I can on the PC (where I'll end up down a research hole for hours).

I'll usually set the desktop to something that feels in line with whatever I'm writing as well (for inspiration).