December 08, 2019, 03:21:35 PM

Author Topic: You know you're a writer when...  (Read 18130 times)

Offline Wizard Police

Re: You know you're a writer when...
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2012, 10:15:46 AM »
...you're the only one of your friends that vents about writer's block on the daily.

Offline Wizard Police

« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2012, 06:22:31 AM »
...you think of a great idea but you're nowhere near a computer or any technology to write it down, forget about it hours later, and you feel like your story sucks without it.

Just happened to me, I was playing basketball, thought of a great idea, and forgot what it was when I finally had the chance to grab my phone and jot it down. Ughhhh I hate this.

Offline Fallen One

• Chrestomanci
  • At long last I crafted a decent profile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2012, 06:51:09 AM »
...you think of a great idea but you're nowhere near a computer or any technology to write it down, forget about it hours later, and you feel like your story sucks without it.

Just happened to me, I was playing basketball, thought of a great idea, and forgot what it was when I finally had the chance to grab my phone and jot it down. Ughhhh I hate this.

That's why I try to always have a few small pieces of paper and a pencil with me :)
Director and editor of Nerd Alert Magazine:
 https://www.facebook.com/NerdAlertMagazine

Offline Wizard Police

« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2012, 07:07:17 AM »
lol I do too (well I type things down in my phone), but sometimes I get ideas during the strangest times. A month ago I was I was getting one of those hour long massages, and an idea struck me. I didn't want to just stop it right then and there, and I was feeling so relaxed too, so I told myself I'll do it later. And then, I forgot it.

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2012, 03:58:40 PM »
My greatest ispiration happens when I'm walking out in the woods. (I live in the pine forests of East Texas) Just recently I invested in a tape recorder, and I tell you, that's the reatest thing. Sure, people look at you like you're crazy as you talk to yourself while you're walking or supposed to be asleep at midnight, but it sure helps. Saves me from getting anry when I lose that creativity spark and yell at others for no aparent reason. :D
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline naugem

« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2012, 04:46:53 PM »
A related post: Are you really, truly an author? Try this little test

I especially liked:
-When you began writing in your adult life, it felt like coming home. Back then, it was less like work than happiness, a return to the sunlit playground. That innocent pleasure has faded with the need to earn a living but even now, on a good day, there is nothing quite like it.

Offline Sophie Proud

« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2012, 06:49:58 PM »
.... when you see a person running on the street and you immediately know who she is, where she comes from, her rank, her family, her motivations, her possible powers and the creature or thing that scares her and that made her flee.
... when you can follow a stray dog's moves while he is only begging for some bread and create a movie script based on his eyes.

Happens to me everyday! :)

Offline AlmightyZael

« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2012, 02:04:36 AM »
...when you feel satisfied with the work you've done. Go to sleep. Wake up. Then delete the entire 10'000 words because you realise they are terrible.

...when you have roughly 13 billion story ideas, a few hundred opening sentences or cool quotes, and have nowhere to put any of them.
Up Helly Aah!

Offline FlemmingHansen

« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2012, 07:33:14 PM »
The first Stephen King book you ever read is "On Writing" :)

Guiltyyyyyyy!

twitter|blog|website

Offline jefGoelz

« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2012, 09:21:09 PM »
you know you are a writer when people pay you for your work.

Offline Lor

• Pictish Wonder
  • Master Namer
  • Queen of the Pirates
    • View Profile
    • The Marketplace of Opinions
« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2012, 09:29:49 PM »
you know you are a writer when people pay you for your work.

If you write only to get paid, you're going to spend a long time disappointed.

You know you're a writer when you find stuff written all up your arm from committee meetings that had nothing to do with what was discussed in said meeting, you just didn't want to put it in your meeting notes in case you never see it again.
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye." - Miss Piggy

Offline Idlewilder

« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2012, 10:00:11 PM »
...when you decide it would be a good idea to stop work on your novel for a month, only to find that at the end of that month, you've started another one.
Make Another World.

Offline Nyki Blatchley

« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2012, 05:19:12 PM »
You know you're a fantasy writer when you look at an acronym and immediately start planning the character who'd have that name. (Just happened to me - it was AXUG, who's definitely a troll.)

Offline Jian

• Kingkiller
  • Can't think of anything clever for this...
    • View Profile
    • Writer's Periodical
« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2012, 05:32:08 PM »
... when you've read this: http://www.brentweeks.com/extras/writing-advice/1-general-writing-advice/ and found it extremely interesting and forced your sister to read it. And then you find out it's 10k words long. ;D
Oh, I have a blog. http://dullboredom.wordpress.com/

Check it out, if you've got the time. Much appreciated.

Writer. Read my free, serialized story Radio Silence and vote to keep it free and serialized!

Offline asabo

« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2012, 05:43:36 PM »
You know you're a fantasy writer when you look at an acronym and immediately start planning the character who'd have that name. (Just happened to me - it was AXUG, who's definitely a troll.)

Absolutely! And sometimes when I misspell a word and think, hmmm, nice sound to that. How can I use it?
Lethal Seasons - Apocalyptic Science Fiction (no zombies)
http://allthereisandtherestofit.blogspot.com/p/lethal-seasons.html