October 15, 2019, 10:04:10 AM

Author Topic: You know you're a writer when...  (Read 17665 times)

Offline AnneLyle

You know you're a writer when...
« on: April 28, 2012, 12:09:52 AM »
...you glance at the Fantasy Faction thread title "Your Next 5 Books" and the first thought that pops into your head is "OMG, I barely know what the next one's going to be about, never mind four more down the line!"

:D
Elizabethan fantasy trilogy The Alchemist of SoulsThe Merchant of Dreams and The Prince of Lies out now from Angry Robot Books!

Offline AshKB

Re: You know you're a writer when...
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 01:18:29 AM »
Not that I've finished writing a novel yet, but this was...my exact same reaction *facepalm*

Books, hell, I barely know what my next five short stories/fanfics are going to be.
The mind is not a vessel to be filled, but a fire to be lighted - Plutarch

I not only use all the brains I have, but all that I can borrow - Woodrow Wilson

Offline FlemmingHansen

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 06:00:50 AM »
... You sit at the dinner table. Giggling and distracted by some odd events in your book.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 08:01:45 PM by FlemmingHansen »

twitter|blog|website

Offline Nyki Blatchley

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 06:38:34 PM »
...You find yourself correcting the grammar of news captions on TV.

Offline Lor

• Pictish Wonder
  • Master Namer
  • Queen of the Pirates
    • View Profile
    • The Marketplace of Opinions
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 11:14:08 PM »
...you and your writing partner constantly make nerdy references to elements of your novel which are hilarious to you, but make everyone else look at you like you've suddenly sprouted an extra head.
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye." - Miss Piggy

Offline AshKB

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 11:32:58 PM »

*raises hand* parking fine, here.

...you have debates with yourself about getting up to write down that really cool story, or actually going to sleep as it's 1am.

I not only use all the brains I have, but all that I can borrow - Woodrow Wilson

Offline Tiffany Kysis Tackett

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 08:02:11 PM »
...you madly scribble down story ideas when you are at a stoplight, and get pissed when it turns green, because you aren't ready yet.

Offline Francis Knight

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 12:20:59 AM »

The Blakes* Seven videos should have a damn apostrophe!

(granted the late ones do, at least the links on the net, but the early covers/titles/graphics..... *tears out hair*)

* IT NEEDS AN APOSTROPHE
My tongue has been in my cheek for so long, I've eroded a new mouth.

Duellists Trilogy (as Julia Knight) coming soon from Orbit!

http://www.juliaknight.co.uk/

Offline Funky Scarecrow

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 12:30:38 AM »
...you don't mind waiting rooms in the slightest and are quite happy for appointments to run late, since it gives you some alone time in which to plot and plan.
I am NOT short. I'm further away than I look.

Offline Yelnoc

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 03:23:49 AM »
You pin all of your story ideas on the corkboard behind your bed (because you know you'll never turn around and thus not feel guilty about how little you are actually writing).

Offline Dan D Jones

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 07:14:06 PM »
... you keep pen and paper on the night stand by your bed, another set in the glove compartment, more in the corner drawer of the kitchen, etc. so that you'll always have a way to scribble down that idea when it pops in your head.

Offline THElewisdix

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 05:26:14 AM »
... you keep pen and paper on the night stand by your bed, another set in the glove compartment, more in the corner drawer of the kitchen, etc. so that you'll always have a way to scribble down that idea when it pops in your head.

Pen and paper, puh!!! That's what I use my iPhone "Notes" app for.
I, Minion: "Fun, dark, a worthy read!"
http://amzn.to/ZwVnOu

Offline Silence

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2012, 07:10:34 AM »
...you're watching Game of Thrones and your favourite bit of that episode is when Stannis corrects Davos(?) for using "less" instead of "fewer"
Stephen Deas is the author of the aptly named Memory of Flames and The Thief-Taker's Apprentice series and the less aptly named Memory of, uh, Some More Stuff Burning And Maybe Some Other Stuff Too

Offline Francis Knight

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2012, 09:40:29 AM »
You've trained your family to take notes/point out interesting stuff while on holiday for 'inspiration/research for your next book'. And they don't mind.
My tongue has been in my cheek for so long, I've eroded a new mouth.

Duellists Trilogy (as Julia Knight) coming soon from Orbit!

http://www.juliaknight.co.uk/

Offline AshKB

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2012, 09:51:02 AM »
You have an exploding, highly eclectic collection of non-fiction books, partly on the premise of 'SHINY' and justified with 'RESEARCH' (or, Research's close cousin, 'I'll Totally Use This Information On The History of Make Up Later').