October 17, 2019, 07:12:31 PM

Author Topic: You know you're a writer when...  (Read 17668 times)

Offline Nyki Blatchley

Re: You know you're a writer when...
« Reply #60 on: October 13, 2012, 02:32:27 PM »
You know you're a fantasy writer when you look at an acronym and immediately start planning the character who'd have that name. (Just happened to me - it was AXUG, who's definitely a troll.)

Absolutely! And sometimes when I misspell a word and think, hmmm, nice sound to that. How can I use it?

The letters on car numberplates can be useful, too.

Offline JonRock411

« Reply #61 on: October 13, 2012, 02:57:09 PM »
You write.    ;D

OK, fine.   

You've spent the past year planning your Nanowrimo story and a month before it starts, change everything and start wondering if you could do two of them.

Your reaction to someone mentioning how much they love something that is in your book is unimaginable giddiness

You spend hours and lose sleep over whether or not something mentioned once in a throw-away line is accurate

You are constantly told you should get on a decent sleep schedule because you stay up all night so you can write when it's quiet

You mentally log "description sketches" of people you see at work for use as characters in your book

Offline shadowkat678

« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2016, 01:58:28 AM »
When your family looks at you like you're crazy, and you just realize at that moment you've been talking out both sides of a story conversation and...and with hand motions.

When you do the same thing on a walk in public.

When you go to sleep tweaking scenes you're planning in your head to figure out which works best.

When you try to figure out what so and so would say if in so and so show.

Would this character like chocolate, vanilla, or strawberry?

Closing your eyes and becoming a character, then being grumpy for the next few hours because your character just went through a horrible experience, and how dare I make myself feel that. Yes, I need to understand how she feels, but that was horrible.
Be not a writer, but a Storyweaver. For that, my friend, is how you'll truly leave your mark.

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2016, 08:09:49 PM »
You have a story with goats
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline SugoiMe

« Reply #64 on: April 30, 2016, 05:01:43 AM »
Seriously guys? I have like 12 ideas for books I wanna write!

...every night, you think in prose and poetry, and it's so exciting, you start either mouthing the words or making exaggerated hand motions.
"And then the time came when the risk it took to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anais Nin

Offline DrMclony

« Reply #65 on: April 30, 2016, 08:47:25 AM »
...you drive a few hours from your home and meet a random stranger not in any kind of bookish place who asks "are you THE *insert your name here* who wrote *insert title here*?"

I was kind of pleased to say the least.