November 20, 2019, 10:17:54 AM

Author Topic: Writing that inspires you  (Read 1364 times)

Online Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
Writing that inspires you
« on: October 04, 2013, 01:50:53 AM »
Seeing as we have a thread about books that make you stop writing, because it's just so damn good you don't think you can ever approach it, I thought I'd start one about things you read that actually inspire you to write, because the idea hits you hard. I recently experienced this with Theodora Goss' short story The Mad Scientist's Daughter (which I raved about on the What are you currently reading thread). So what have you read that makes you think, what if? And immediately gets ideas running about in your head? In short what inspires you to write?
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline EricaDakin

Re: Writing that inspires you
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 06:23:44 PM »
I can't really pinpoint any books that gave me specific ideas, but I know there are many writers who have influenced my own writing. I write first-person pov because Robin Hobb did in the Assassin trilogy. I have a trilogy of standalone stories which are interlinked because that's what Nora Roberts does a lot.

I think I'm more in the camp of getting a teensy bit depressed at the genius of others, I just also have enough common sense to then shrug it off and get on with it. ;)
Butterflies instantly came to life in his stomach, and the little bastards were heavily armed. - The Republic of Thieves.

Offline Wizard Police

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 06:35:10 PM »
Any book that can keep my adrenaline pumping, George Martin, Patrick Rothfuss, etc.

Offline SunnyE

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 09:18:13 AM »
I've been inspired by countless books going back to early childhood. By both those who make me want to be better and those who make me think I can already do better. So many books/authors have inspired me to write and in a variety of ways, but the one who really inspired me to think I can actually do it for a living was Harry Potter. Not really the books, but Rowling. Her story was really moving to me, and I have been down a similar path. So that helped me to realize that if she could achieve the level of success she has under those circumstances, then I can probably at least make a meager living from it in some capacity. And that's how the series I'm working on came to be.
You can't deny laughter; when it comes, it plops down in your favorite chair and stays as long as it wants.  ~Stephen King

Blog: www.asunnyviewforyou.blogspot.com

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 06:50:22 PM »
I love reading random short stories from authors I've never heard of. I'll hit Beneath Ceaseless Skies or Fiction Vortex or any of the dozens of other sites and binge on five or six random stories. Usually, within a day or two, I'm ready to write another short story of my own. It shakes loose whatever ideas are rattling around in my head.