October 31, 2020, 07:40:48 PM

Author Topic: Writing Software  (Read 8241 times)

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • BrawBlether
Re: Writing Software
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2015, 05:19:47 PM »
I tried several programs on my Mac, but nothing worked better for me than OmmWriter. It's an ultra-simplistic software, and that's its strength. It has very few functions, you just sit down and type away. I then used Word to edit the manuscript.

Now that I'm back to Windows, I downloaded NimbleWriter on Steam (because I got a -75% discount coupon). Again, simplicity is the keyword here, although this one has several interesting features, including achievements related to your writing, which can be fun and act as a positive motivation.

However, I just downloaded FocusWriter and will be giving it a go. I'm liking the look of it, whereas I think NimbleWriter still has plenty of room for improvement.

I never got into Scrivener, as the learning curve seems too daunting  ::)
https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2015, 06:14:15 PM »
I tried several programs on my Mac, but nothing worked better for me than OmmWriter. It's an ultra-simplistic software, and that's its strength. It has very few functions, you just sit down and type away. I then used Word to edit the manuscript.

Now that I'm back to Windows, I downloaded NimbleWriter on Steam (because I got a -75% discount coupon). Again, simplicity is the keyword here, although this one has several interesting features, including achievements related to your writing, which can be fun and act as a positive motivation.

However, I just downloaded FocusWriter and will be giving it a go. I'm liking the look of it, whereas I think NimbleWriter still has plenty of room for improvement.

I never got into Scrivener, as the learning curve seems too daunting  ::)

oooh!  oooh!  i've spent a ton of time researching this very thing.

i loved ommwriter on the mac, but i wanted more customization.  focuswriter isn't terrible, but, really -- on windows, you want to look at writemonkey.  it's pretty amazing.

http://writemonkey.com/

and, yes, you are totally right that the learning curve on scrivener is high.  i've finally gotten it wrangled how i want it.  but really, the only uniquely useful thing with it is the corkboard.  it's a case where you can spend way more time tinkering than writing.

Offline ClintACK

« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2015, 07:33:35 PM »
This seems like the sort of thing that could eat up all my procrastination time when I ought to be writing.

I used to be an emacs snob.  I wrote my thesis in LaTeX.  Now I write in Word. 

It remembers the words I typed, so I don't have to.  What else would I need?

Should I be worrying about writing the a whole novel in one file?  I like being able to search a single document, but I hear a lot about people using separate documents for each chapter.

Offline Yora

« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2015, 07:56:42 PM »
If you keep multiple copies and regular backups, a single file shouldn't be a problem at all.
We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on a big tower of other dwarves.

Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2015, 01:09:23 AM »
This seems like the sort of thing that could eat up all my procrastination time when I ought to be writing.

I used to be an emacs snob.  I wrote my thesis in LaTeX.  Now I write in Word. 

It remembers the words I typed, so I don't have to.  What else would I need?

Should I be worrying about writing the a whole novel in one file?  I like being able to search a single document, but I hear a lot about people using separate documents for each chapter.

heh.  omg -- latex?  emacs?  dude, you would love my process!

i use voodoopad as my personal worldbuilding wiki (it one-click creates pages and automatically links names and terms to those pages from then on)

i write each scene/chapter in individual, plain text markdown files.  (rain_book01_scene006.md and the like)

i have a git server where i commit all changes as i go.  (so, i can "git pull" from my wife's machine or my phone and keep writing -- i wrote 300 words on my phone from my son's soccer practice the other day!)

i have a shell script i found/improved that uses multimarkdown to compile all my .md files and .css files into single html, rtf, epub, mobi, and pdf files -- complete with page breaks and sexy chapter headings and everything.

oh, and it'll compile to latex if i want it to!

Offline ClintACK

« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2015, 10:57:12 AM »
Wow.  I can't even imagine writing prose on my phone.  That's impressive.

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2015, 03:43:57 PM »
if only i could critique on my phone...  *sigh*

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2015, 08:18:44 AM »
Bought a new mac and am already a diehard fan of Ulysses III no questions asked!!!

Talk about supper simplistic! Here's a screenshot of my entire screen as I write... The choice of white on all-black is mine and people can fully customize that.

Or if I want to keep an eye on my fb at the same time... And you can see one of the two optional side bars where my different written files are stored.

The possibilities of this softwares are endless and beautiful. It remembers your instructions as it goes and makes the according alterations when you save your document to different formats, meaning that while it's super minimalist, you don't need any other software to adapt it to produce .odt or .rtf or .pdf ect.
It offers plenty of options that are mostly invisible and can be written in with symbols.

For example different types of lists, headings, quotes, emphasis, links, annotations, ect. Also allows easy media addition.
Bref, I'm in love and it makes writing a pleasure.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2015, 12:04:59 PM »
This ^.

Ulysses is now my go to.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2015, 04:03:54 PM »
1) i LOVE the thought of sharing screenshots your writing environment!  personally, i can't imagine sitting there in microsoft word writing all day.  i think i'd go crazy.

2) i tried ulysses and loved it.  especially its support for markdown.  the showstopper for me was i wanted something that let me customize the background images.

3) speaking of writing environments!  depending on what kind of scene/chapter i'm writing, i'll load one of these scrivener preferences i've created (you can do the same thing in focuswriter):

lots of action
Spoiler for Hiden:

dark and forboding
Spoiler for Hiden:

lovey and peaceful
Spoiler for Hiden:

badguy alert!
Spoiler for Hiden:

all stark and lonely
Spoiler for Hiden:

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2015, 04:58:21 PM »
Ah, but @m3mnoch, on my Mac, I could have Ulysses open on half the screen and suitably moody iumagery on the other half.  ;)
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline night_wrtr

« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2015, 05:12:51 PM »
I've been using Scrivener and I think it's great. I love being able to separate out scenes or chapter breaks within one document.