December 12, 2019, 11:38:19 PM

Author Topic: Writing Sequels  (Read 460 times)

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

Writing Sequels
« on: November 01, 2019, 03:10:16 AM »
Despite the warning that I should never start a sequel unless the first one got signs of being published, I did went and start writing my sequel anyway, hehe. I know, I know, but it's the only bookish idea I've got in my head right now, and my idea of trying to write another novel kind of got stuck half way and didn't laid out as well as I'd expected it to. So, what do you guys think about writing sequels, and have you ever done the same thing?

Offline isos81

Re: Writing Sequels
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2019, 05:10:28 AM »
Nope, but send me for a review as soon as you finish the chapters ;)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2019, 08:10:04 AM »
I'll definitely send them to you when I'm finished, isos! :) It's great to know that someone is anticipating to read my writing, haha.

Offline isos81

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2019, 09:50:47 AM »
I'll definitely send them to you when I'm finished, isos! :) It's great to know that someone is anticipating to read my writing, haha.

Why not sending me chapter by chapter this time? Does that sound a better way?
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2019, 10:03:37 AM »
I'm still not finished with revising the story, haha. I wouldn't want to send an unfinished product that may still be kinda bad, that's waht.  ;D

Offline isos81

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2019, 12:43:38 PM »
OK, I'm eagerly waiting. I'm always in for free books, haha ;D

Offline Yora

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2019, 01:05:21 PM »
Writing a second story and making a series is a good idea when you still have stories to tell in that world or with those characters.
Writing another story because the first one got name recognition is not a good idea. Those are generally the works that fail very badly. If the story is wrapped up, the ending resolved the situation that gave the first story its identity, or the protagonists have nothing left to do, then forcing another story just doesn't work.

If you think there are more stories to tell, sure go ahead.
We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on a big tower of other dwarves.

Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor

Offline MrNybble

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2019, 04:21:45 AM »
I would say write sequels if that's what you like to do. I have several series in the works. Some have giant time gaps in between each installment. Allows for filler stories is there is enough interest in the main series. One series may have a sequel as it's based on a multi-generation family of assassins. Got to continue that morally questionable tradition. Even one series continues a thousand years after... correction, there are two series that have a thousand year time skip before the sequel starts. All this taking place in the same world with some crossover in events.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2019, 12:44:24 AM »
Despite the warning that I should never start a sequel unless the first one got signs of being published, I did went and start writing my sequel anyway, hehe. I know, I know, but it's the only bookish idea I've got in my head right now, and my idea of trying to write another novel kind of got stuck half way and didn't laid out as well as I'd expected it to. So, what do you guys think about writing sequels, and have you ever done the same thing?
I’ve written 4 Realmspace books and working on the 5th. I doubt I’ll ever get anything published, I’m not good enough, but I just enjoy writing them and the characters, so why not do it, SK?

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2019, 01:28:20 AM »
I'm no longer weiting a sequel, and even if I was, I'm no longer requesting any beta readers, so don't up your hopes too much, @isos81.

Offline isos81

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2019, 06:09:24 AM »
I'm no longer weiting a sequel, and even if I was, I'm no longer requesting any beta readers, so don't up your hopes too much, @isos81.

Why is that Inky? Is something wrong?