May 26, 2017, 05:44:35 PM

Author Topic: Writing on the go  (Read 444 times)

Offline LightRunner

Writing on the go
« on: March 21, 2017, 12:52:57 AM »
I have found myself with a new schedule lately, that involves a bus commute and some traveling. Usually I read during this time, but sometimes I want to work on my writing.

Have any of you found any good phone apps for this kind of thing? I think it would drive me crazy to actually try to write or edit, given the size of the screen keyboard, but brainstorming...that might be possible. You never know what will strike your mind when waiting at the bus stop.

I realize that I could carry a notebook, but I already carry a ton of stuff and if I could find something better than "Notes" on my phone, that would be great.

Any ideas?

Offline Jmack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Elderling
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
Re: Writing on the go
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 01:28:47 AM »
I like Ulysses for writing on my iPhone. Very clean and simple.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 02:01:10 AM »
I have Ulysses on my Mac but use the notes app native to my iPhone for notes if not writing on paper. Can't be arsed having a special app. I do write on the go a lot though, since walking with music in my ears is a great opportunity to spend time in my characters' universes and I often come up with paragraphs or bits of worldbuilding then.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline S. K. InkSlinger

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 03:40:19 AM »
I also do use the note app on my phone a lot. By now it's totally cluttered with numerous ideas for my short stories, so whenever I needed to actually make a grocery or to-do list, it always got lost within the miscellaneous jumble.  ;D

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 09:57:40 AM »
I use Google Keep for notes on everything from stories to shopping lists, so that it's all there when I open Keep on a computer as well. I am totally Cult of Google, though. :)

Offline Justan Henner

• Barbarian who pronounces are, our and hour all the same way
  • Writing Group
  • Valheru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 01:51:53 PM »
Yep, just the notes app. Easy to just email to my PC, copy to a word doc, and format it all there. I tried a few word processing apps, but the format conversion was too big a hassle on each of them. Wasted quite a bit of my time.

Offline LightRunner

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 01:43:53 AM »
Thanks for the ideas! I do have a Mac and iPhone, so maybe it is best to use Notes and sync through the iCloud for quick ideas for now, though I'll take a look at Ulysses. Right now I'm doing all of my writing in Word, which is fine, but something with a better way to organize related files would be great.

Offline Blackthorn

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 02:43:55 AM »
Personally I use the app WriteOwl. So far I've found it simple to use, but even mobile I don't find much time to write notes.

Tags: