August 23, 2019, 02:55:58 PM

Author Topic: Writing a TV Pilot Treatment for a Fantasy Series  (Read 663 times)

Offline NinjaRaptor

Writing a TV Pilot Treatment for a Fantasy Series
« on: February 12, 2016, 09:59:34 PM »
So as part of a school assignment, I've written up the bare bones of a pilot treatment for a hypothetical cartoon series aimed at girls under age 12. It's about a young warrior queen named Ikaba who rules a jungle civilization loosely drawing from Central African cultural influences. The show will have her go on adventures with her rambunctious little brother Kengo, and they'll face perils like dinosaurs and other jungle beasts, poachers, renegade cultists, and maybe an overseas imperialist or two.

In my pilot I have the following information:

* Logline summarizing the show.

* List of major characters with paragraph bios.

* Setting information.

* An abbreviated act-by-act summary of a hypothetical pilot episode.

So are there other parts that I could add to the pilot treatment in case I want to take it beyond school to an actual TV studios. For example, should I add information on my ideal target demographic (little girls) and the medium (2D animation)? Advice would be particularly welcome from people who know a thing or two about televised showbiz.
NEW self-published anthology:
Dinosaurs & Dames

Offline CryptofCthulhu

Re: Writing a TV Pilot Treatment for a Fantasy Series
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 01:40:44 PM »
I would go look for some scripts from TV shows that are similar in nature to what you are trying to create and see how they were written. Even some movie scripts might be helpful.

Given the amount of money that has to be invested into developing a TV program, seeing the formats that have been most successful couldn't hurt. Spending millions on an episode is no laughing matter, especially if you have to shoot at specific locations or build elaborate sets. The budget will dictate quite a bit in regards to what you can and cannot film, and thus what you can and cannot have in your script.
“Silence is only frightening to people who are compulsively verbalizing.” ~ William S. Boroughs

Offline CameronJohnston

Re: Writing a TV Pilot Treatment for a Fantasy Series
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 09:02:39 AM »
Definitely worthwhile looking at some TV show and movie scripts, and you can get a bunch online.

Things I think you would need if you ever wanted to take this further:

As it is in animated form, you would likely need some sort of artwork of the characters (even if rough) to give them an idea of how you imagine it looking. Treat it as a business plan, with data on the target demographics (little girls) and why they would like this show/make it popular. If possible track down the likely cost of animating an episode on the cheap to give you an idea of exactly how popular your show would need to be to make a profit and how you can keep costs down - can scenes/characters be re-used a lot?

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things