December 13, 2019, 12:00:57 AM

Author Topic: Why Do You Want to be an Author?  (Read 5172 times)

Offline CryptofCthulhu

Re: Why Do You Want to be an Author?
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2016, 07:52:01 AM »
To make a living telling stories and not having to work a typical 9-5 job. Fame and fortune is just the icing on the cake if it ever happens. As long as I can pay my bills and put some money away for the future then I'm happy. Even if it lets me work part time at a regular job I'll be happy.
“Silence is only frightening to people who are compulsively verbalizing.” ~ William S. Boroughs

Offline Captain Blobby

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2016, 11:02:28 AM »
I started writing to plug the gap between games coming out to keep myself and my best friend entertained. I think that will always be my priority when it comes to writing, but I would like to share my work with a larger audience. I don't think I could take the insecurity of not having a career so I'm not that interested in chasing the big publishing contract.

Offline Phoenix

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2016, 06:44:21 PM »
So that's my question for the writers on this forum. Why do you write, despite the immense amount of time it takes? What keeps you going past the dozens of agents who don't even request sample chapters, the mounds of rejection letters for your short stories, and the tiny advances or payments that don't even allow you to quit your day job? What do you hope to accomplish?

Good philosophical question about writing. Why? Ive always been an introvert, the person everyone looks over and doesn't expect to get far in life. So honestly, writing is a way for me to actually talk to the world and try to inspire other people. I wanted to prove to everyone from my past, that a nobody can actually turn into a somebody.
"My death shall spark a war, and from the ashes of the battlefield I shall be reborn"

Offline JRTroughton

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2016, 07:11:06 PM »
I want power and glory eternal. Writing seems less dangerous than raising an army.

Offline Peat

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2016, 07:44:58 PM »
I want a job where I never have to put clothes on.

I need to get rid of the ideas somehow before they consume my mind and leave behind a festering zombie.

Also this...

I want power and glory eternal. Writing seems less dangerous than raising an army.

Finally, I've heard acting described as the shy man's revenge - the ability to go out and be whoever for those who don't have the confidence to do so in their everyday life. Well, writing for me has more than an element of that.

But, really, it's mainly about not having to put underpants on.

Offline JRTroughton

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2016, 08:47:47 PM »
Addendum: I've done some research. It might actually be easier to raise an army rather than find fame and glory eternal as a writer.

I shall evaluate my options.

Offline Peat

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2016, 09:13:04 PM »
Addendum: I've done some research. It might actually be easier to raise an army rather than find fame and glory eternal as a writer.

I understand Afghanistan is nice this time of year.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline shadowkat678

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2016, 09:14:11 PM »

Preach that!  8)
Be not a writer, but a Storyweaver. For that, my friend, is how you'll truly leave your mark.

Offline Adrian_Selby

• Soulfinder
  • Author of Snakewood, Producer at Boss Alien
    • View Profile
    • My personal blog
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2016, 11:13:05 AM »
I've wanted to do it all my life.  I couldn't bear not doing it.

Offline bdcharles

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2016, 12:54:20 PM »
I want to write to give life to the thoughts, characters and situations floating around in my head. They've been there far too long, taking up space and achieving very little, that it's time to release them. And if my WIPs get converted into an HBO series, for instance, so much the better. Anyway it's more fun than my regular job.
Find me on twitter @jd_books

Offline bdcharles

« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2016, 12:56:14 PM »

Depends who you want to give you this glory and fame. Other people? Might work, might well not. But to your characters you are God.
Find me on twitter @jd_books

Offline shadowkat678

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2016, 06:15:05 PM »
But to your characters you are God.

A very evil god most would wish to strangle, but true enough. Be glad I didn't create the world....but you know, it does give some perspective looking at it like that. We all get angry that there's so much hate and horror in this world, but when we make our own the exact same thing happens. Funny...or, ironic. Not really funny.
Be not a writer, but a Storyweaver. For that, my friend, is how you'll truly leave your mark.

Offline marshall_lamour

• Soulfinder
  • Creator of the "Children of Cataclysm" series.
    • View Profile
    • Thriambus
Why Do You Want to be an Author?
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2016, 07:39:44 PM »
I've had a singular world brewing in me ever since I was a kid. That world gradually became my own internal mythos and a repository for many of my personal dreams and notions as well as a testing ground on which to put those through the wringer. Though I hadn't originally intended to pursue this by literary means, my love of literature and its low-friction approach to developing a narrative eventually won out.

I had long dreamed of publishing, but I really never intended to publish fiction. Since having given fiction a go, however, I've had a greater drive to write, even beyond that work, than I ever had before. It's been a great way to become familiar with how to see my creative writing through. It's helped to have had so long to mull over and develop the bones of my narrative to make that possible.

Since my original forays into writing were for the purpose of developing and communicating philosophical notions, I would say that's my main reason and drive to write, even when it comes to my fiction. Obviously there's the satisfaction of bringing one's imaginings to life, particularly when it comes to literary SFF, but that's just a perk for me.
Discover the world of Aeva in book one of the Children of Cataclysm series: Sons of Exile