April 03, 2020, 12:34:49 PM

Author Topic: Who is writing?  (Read 1510 times)

Offline CameronJohnston

Re: Who is writing?
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2019, 06:16:32 PM »
I'm finishing off a few agent edits on a new thing and sending it off on submission to publishers next month, then I'm back working on the new new thing.

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline Lu Kudzoza

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2019, 08:35:50 PM »
I have it on good authority that @Justan Henner is online gaming 14 hours a day... while watching movies -- and not writing. Hopefully, it's just the holidays and not an addiction.

Offline Justan Henner

• Barbarian who pronounces are, our and hour all the same way
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2019, 11:19:19 PM »
I have it on good authority that @Justan Henner is online gaming 14 hours a day... while watching movies -- and not writing. Hopefully, it's just the holidays and not an addiction.

Oh, go back to your beads, Kudzoza. I'll have you know I worked a whole 15 minutes today.

Okay, 4 minutes and I drank some tea for 11.

Online cupiscent

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2019, 02:21:59 AM »

Oh, go back to your beads, Kudzoza. I'll have you know I worked a whole 15 minutes today.

Tea is VITAL to the writing process, sounds legit.

Offline Yora

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2019, 09:38:46 AM »
It's called research and brainstorming. You got to expose yourself to inspirations to come up with creative ideas.
We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on a big tower of other dwarves.

Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor

Offline Lu Kudzoza

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2019, 04:08:07 PM »

I'll have you know it's not "beads". It's fine art jewelry made from reclaimed materials found on beaches, in nature, and other public places. The beads are merely accent for each center piece.

Oh, I'm glad you got 4 minutes in. That 4 more than any day last week.  :o

Online Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2019, 04:12:13 PM »
Are you two brothers?
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Lu Kudzoza

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2019, 11:58:04 PM »
Are you two brothers?

He's my spawn. Or more correctly, spoiled, lazy, neerdowell spawn.

Offline Justan Henner

• Barbarian who pronounces are, our and hour all the same way
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2020, 01:57:59 PM »
Are you two brothers?

He's my spawn. Or more correctly, spoiled, lazy, neerdowell spawn.

I've yet to see the paternity test.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2020, 04:19:31 PM »
Despite having little time (comes with having little kids), I want to write again and while I know generally what I want to write I have problems with the specifics.

I started something which, structure-wise, is like the Starborn Few from Becky Chambers (completely different world building and genre). The main protagonist is the setting and you experience it through some loosely connected, sometimes intertwined stories that take place in this world and illustrate how different/interesting/dangerous it is.

I wrote 1-2 of those stories and have ideas for about 10-15 more but I just can't write them. I have no idea what the block is. It could be:
- needing to get used to writing again (NaNoWriMo winner 2011 ;))
- more world building (especially culture and social norms of the inhabitants of the world)
- this format just isn't for me and it would be easier to write a longer story following a few MCs.
- something else.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Online Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Valheru
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2020, 05:31:21 PM »
I spent most of November and Decmber making false starts and plotting things out. Now that the new year is here, I'm getting back into the actual writing side of things.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline Yora

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2020, 07:14:33 PM »
I am stuck at the beginning. Always wanting to make more adjustments to the setting before continuing with new chapters.
We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on a big tower of other dwarves.

Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor

Online cupiscent

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2020, 11:48:42 PM »
I am stuck at the beginning. Always wanting to make more adjustments to the setting before continuing with new chapters.

My advice is just make the changes and keep going like it was always that way. You can fiddle with the start literally FOREVER and every time you get it perfect, you'll write more and find it needs more changes. Just power through, get a complete first draft, then figure out how to make it all work together. (I mean... I realised two-thirds through my 90k-word draft that actually, Character A needs to be Character B, and the current Character B needs to be a completely different Character C, eliminating Character A's role entirely... so that's on my list to fix in revisions. I'm also quite sure I've changed the way magic works at least twice.)

Offline Matthew

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2020, 02:25:51 AM »

I usually manage a few chapters before I start the endless editing passes. Mostly the concept stays intact but I constantly change the wording.

Offline Skip

« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2020, 04:55:42 AM »
I R writing. Just finished second draft of a short story I'll be entering in a local contest. Yes, I'm supposed to be working on The Falconer, and I am. Really. It's just that this contest came up and I had this story idea and, well ...