March 30, 2020, 05:19:00 PM

Author Topic: Who do you write like?  (Read 26108 times)

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
Re: Who do you write like?
« Reply #105 on: March 26, 2015, 10:32:26 PM »
I know, but that's not her main body of work, and I doubted that 'style site' was using that for comparison, hehe

(and I think it's Charlotte 'something else' - Charlotte Rampling is an actress, recently returned on Broadchurch ;D)
I checked, it's Anne Rampling. The other one is A.N Roquelaure, and that was what she originally wrote Exit to Eden under, which was later made into a film.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Justan Henner

• Barbarian who pronounces are, our and hour all the same way
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 27, 2015, 04:01:16 AM »

Probably, I just saw that she had written erotica on the wikipedia page, and thought it was out of place for the piece I had written haha.
You had never heard of Anne Rice?

Never. (Well, maybe? Probably?) I've read a lot of books without even noticing the author's name. For other than the names I've read over and over, it's not since the last few years that I really started paying attention to them.

EDIT: In fact, even some of the books I have read multiple times, I don't know the author's name at all. If it weren't sitting next to me on the bookshelf, I wouldn't have known who wrote Golden Compass despite having read the whole series twice. I usually have to look these things up by title if I read it past a certain date.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 04:11:36 AM by Justan Henner »

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #107 on: March 27, 2015, 05:44:43 AM »

Probably, I just saw that she had written erotica on the wikipedia page, and thought it was out of place for the piece I had written haha.
You had never heard of Anne Rice?

Never. (Well, maybe? Probably?) I've read a lot of books without even noticing the author's name. For other than the names I've read over and over, it's not since the last few years that I really started paying attention to them.

EDIT: In fact, even some of the books I have read multiple times, I don't know the author's name at all. If it weren't sitting next to me on the bookshelf, I wouldn't have known who wrote Golden Compass despite having read the whole series twice. I usually have to look these things up by title if I read it past a certain date.
Yeah. I get that sometimes, too. I have to remember certain authors names when I got to the bookshop just so I can keep an eye out for them. It really doesn't help to not spot something and then ask the person at the counter 'Do you have that book with the elves (or insert fantasy trope of choice) in it?'
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline SarahW

« Reply #108 on: April 05, 2015, 07:34:11 PM »
When I put two of my short stories in I Write Like, most commonly I would get William Gibson or H.P. Lovecraft.

Always wanted to try reading/writing Cthulhu Punk.