January 20, 2021, 09:43:14 AM

Author Topic: What kind of physical attacks would a ghost have.  (Read 587 times)

What kind of physical attacks would a ghost have.
« on: November 28, 2020, 07:44:42 AM »
I'm writing a ghost character and I'm trying to come p with a ghost that does more than just scare you.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Purple Dove House
Re: What kind of physical attacks would a ghost have.
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2020, 08:10:57 AM »
Seen a few instances where a ghost has entered a person and communicated or taken control in that way.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2020, 09:30:43 AM »
I personally find the ghost that scares and manipulates to be the more compelling ghost.
But for the sake of your question, I've seen ghosts cause "accidents" or scratches/bruises. (mostly stemming from the idea of domestic abuse and other taboos)

Offline Ned Marcus

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2020, 01:20:12 PM »
Heart attacks? Or make it a poltergeist.

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2020, 10:32:51 PM »
I have been trying to remember which piece of media used "Swayze" as a verb to indicate a ghost impacting the physical world, and I think it might have been Supernatural, which is a bit embarrassing... ;)

Is the ghost in the real world, or a fantasy world? Either way, it really is entirely up to you what "powers" ghosts - or this ghost in particular - can have! Everything from the power of suggestion/possession, or creating an ambient atmosphere (prompting conflict, for instance, or prompting amorousness), to full physical manifestation and literally shoving things and people around seems very possible. You might also be interested in looking up the ghost-beliefs of non-Western cultures? I'm thinking particularly of the "hungry ghosts" of Chinese/south-east Asian cultures, but I'm sure there's lots of variety around the world!

Offline K.S. Crooks

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2021, 02:41:04 PM »
Your ghost could move objects, posses a person or animal and cause it to harm itself or others. You could make it that the ghost for a time can take on a solid form. The ghost could have telepathic abilities and attack a person mentally- make a person see things that aren't real.
K.S. Crooks- Author
www.kscrooks.com

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2021, 04:24:42 AM »
All the ghosts I've ever met personally could move things.

In the Shining, tho, they did a pretty good job without having lift a finger.

Offline Neveesandeh

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2021, 09:23:51 AM »
Create illusions? Produce a freezing mist? Have an icy touch? If a ghost is some sort of genius loci's memories, that opens up possibilities of manipulating time/reality. Anything works really, as long as it's creepy.

Offline S P Oldham

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2021, 03:28:29 PM »
A ghost could instil terror to the degree that it paralyses (temporarily) the unfortunate being that comes across it. It could make someone hallucinate, thus luring them into danger, into doing something like stepping over a cliff or through a window. It could bring with it enough coldness to literally freeze objects, even causing them to crack and break. Or similarly, it could bring a building, intense heat, hot enough to make things smoulder and smoke, possibly even burn. It can bring with it visions of the physical past, making someone believe there are steps where in reality there are not, or solid ground where there is in fact a hole and so on. You could make your ghost physically able to do things to, though for me a ghost that can do too much in that vein is in fact a poltergeist. I think the whole point of ghosts, the thing that makes them scary, is that sense of doubt it instils in the human mind, even when the hairs are standing up on the back of our neck - did I really see that shadow? Was there really a mist in the room just now? Did I really feel a cold hand on the back of my neck? The suggestion is the scare for me, where ghosts are concerned. Plus a great back story, of course.
S P Oldham