October 30, 2020, 09:52:52 AM

Author Topic: What is the best place to build you marketing platform as a fantasy writer?  (Read 3948 times)

Offline Newway12

Twitter, Facebook, Youtube...?

Where should I focus my resources when marketing myself?

Offline Roelor

There is no real answer to that. In my opinion keeping it all balanced is more important and to make sure you have something interesting to share.

Offline CameronJohnston

Depends on what you mean by marketing.  If it is networking with other authors etc then Twitter is the one to go for.  General networking by joining forums and actually being part of a community is also highly recommended  - as opposed to just drive-by marketing your own stuff, nobody likes that and it's a huge waste of time.

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline AnnaStephens

I agree with Cameron, plus having a website/blog can be really useful to direct people to from Twitter etc.

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
Adding to what others have posted, I have heard that one should take their target audience into account when it comes to marketing the work. While not all audiences are directly accessible in the same way or even to the same extent, a comprehensive strategy would include some engagement with the audience, I should think.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • Ryan W. Mueller
Depends on what you mean by marketing.  If it is networking with other authors etc then Twitter is the one to go for.  General networking by joining forums and actually being part of a community is also highly recommended  - as opposed to just drive-by marketing your own stuff, nobody likes that and it's a huge waste of time.

This. When somebody comes by and their only post is advertising their book, I'm not going to pick it up. However, if I see someone on a forum that I've enjoyed interacting with, I'll give it more of a chance.

Online cupiscent

When somebody comes by and their only post is advertising their book, I'm not going to pick it up. However, if I see someone on a forum that I've enjoyed interacting with, I'll give it more of a chance.

Yep. And for me this goes for Twitter / other social media as well. If I see someone just touting their book, I'm not going to bother to engage. If I see someone being interesting (in whatever way), having discussions, being a part of a community, then I'm likely to follow them, and look into their books. (Excellent people don't always write stuff I'm interested in--I've tried and failed at a lot of Jim Hines work--but I tried, and I'm likely to at least look at stuff he recommends as well.)

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • Nerd Empire

My plan is to dress as a wizard with a leather knapsack and hang out on a street busy corner bequeathing free copies to passerby's I've deemed as "the one".

Me and another friend have the dream of going across the UK in a gypsy wagon selling our books.

Offline Steve Harrison

I have found Twitter to be the best social media platform for me and I use it to direct traffic to my book on Amazon, my website and blog platforms. It's quick and easy to use and it's a great place for creative and fun posts. And unlike Facebook, where your posts hang around like a bad smell, you can tweet daily without pissing people off. There are also lots of specific hashtags to help you target your audience.

Disclaimer: Lots of writers completely disagree with the above :)

Offline Ray McCarthy

What others have said. Other than the sellers (Smashwords, Amazon, your own domain website), you need to engage with readers in an interesting way and only mention the books in appropriate subforums and times.
There is no "best" place. It depends partly on you your personality. Don't argue with people, reply to trolls or promote extreme agendas. Facebook is actually poor and worst parasite. Forums can be best. Twitter is marginal without a lot more effort than forums. Facebook worse.

It depends on you being interesting. Posting adverts is useless. Paying for them on the Internet is madness as there is 50% to 75% click fraud and little evidence of value, except to Google and Facebook who have 85% of Internet Advertising sales.
My Blogs & Books. Available via Amazon, Apple, Barnes&Noble, Kobo, Tolino and Smashwords.

Offline Lu Kudzoza

The first things you should have is a Website and an email newsletter because you control the content and aren't relying on a third party to get your message to your fans.

The next step is Twitter and a Facebook Author page. If your target audience is on in Instagram then you should be there too. These sites make it easy for your audience to engage with you (or just follow you). You'll be able to build a following there faster than your website or newsletter, but will often have to pay for ads if you want content to reach all of your followers (like new book releases).

A good strategy is to create the content on your website/blog first. Then push it to your newsletter subscribers, FB, Twitter, Instagram, etc. This will get people used to coming to your site and also lets your fans share/like your content with their friends.

The one thing to remember is that building your author platform is a long term project. Everyday you're hoping to pick up one or two more followers and fans of your work. You do this with interesting posts, not with "buy my book" posts. If you can pick up some true fans along the way they'll spread your content to their friends which helps you pick up more fans. And hopefully one day you reach critical mass and you're gaining tens or hundreds of followers a day.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 05:06:45 PM by Not Lu »

I've been doing my best to build a platform utilizing serialized fiction that I release through my own branded website. While I've written books, releasing original work incrementally has proven much more successful, though it is still a long-term, growth project, as others have pointed out. The only downside is it requires a huge amount of disciplined writing on a deadline schedule.

Because the content is always new as each issue is released, update posts don't come across quite as abrasively as  a never-ending chain of identical advertisements for the same product. As your brand grows, you become increasingly able to provide updates for other works to your existing audience through whatever variety of social media/newsletter outlets you choose to employ.

Offline Ned Marcus

I have found Twitter to be the best social media platform for me and I use it to direct traffic to my book on Amazon, my website and blog platforms. It's quick and easy to use and it's a great place for creative and fun posts. And unlike Facebook, where your posts hang around like a bad smell, you can tweet daily without pissing people off. There are also lots of specific hashtags to help you target your audience.

LOL. I believe you, and I've met other writers who say the same. But I don't really understand how it can work  :-\

What do you tweet about?

Offline Ned Marcus

While I've written books, releasing original work incrementally has proven much more successful, though it is still a long-term, growth project, as others have pointed out. The only downside is it requires a huge amount of disciplined writing on a deadline schedule.

This really sounds like a lot of work!

Offline Steve Harrison

LOL. I believe you, and I've met other writers who say the same. But I don't really understand how it can work  :-\

What do you tweet about?

I tweet a variety of links to my web site with promotional pictures of my novel and often funny photos. For instance, lots of friends and readers have sent me photos of themselves reading the novel in various places around the world, so I head those as, "Where are you reading...," and include travel as well as reading related hashtags. I also poke fun at this, by using pictures of my wife reading the book while driving, cooking and hanging washing, and me reading in the shower ("you just can't put it down...").

I use old movie stills and tie them into the book and I have an old favourite photo-shopped version of my cover with the synopsis in the form of a recipe. I do the same sort of stuff to link to my blog pieces and interviews.

The tweets seem to work in terms of driving regular sales, but even if they didn't, I'm having a blast!