August 25, 2019, 01:44:40 AM

Author Topic: what do you think about this character  (Read 274 times)

Offline AelizWarlok

what do you think about this character
« on: July 19, 2019, 10:20:24 AM »
So recently I finished the first book of the Royal Lines series, and I changed my protagonist. He was originaly a good guy, thriving to defend his nation of the usurping army, but as i slowly finished the novel, i realised what if I changed him? So now he is a selfish, overconfident grumpy dude that is responsible for the losses of his men. What do you think, do you think it's credible?

Offline isos81

Re: what do you think about this character
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 10:42:58 AM »
Is he changing in time or is he a selfish dude right from the start?
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline AelizWarlok

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2019, 06:14:42 PM »
in the first book, he is selfish and grumpy due to the years of dissatisfied work of guarding the border, he is 35 yrs old. In book two he is a young boy attending the warrior school, in the third book he is in his twentys, a cheery young warrior enthusiasm for life, and in the forth book he is a humble silent old man who regrets his past acts

Offline Bender

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2019, 07:33:44 PM »
It all depends on how the character changes and the events and experiences that drive the change. The shades of grey is what gives the change strength.

As a soldier, I can understand him getting disillusioned or just plain weary. But letting fellow soldiers die through irresponsibility is way extreme. Should be an interesting read.
Not all those who wander are lost

Offline AelizWarlok

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2019, 12:53:58 AM »
not just that, he realises his mistake and illusion when its too late.