April 01, 2020, 09:47:20 PM

Author Topic: What do you find most difficult about writing?  (Read 3234 times)

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
Re: What do you find most difficult about writing?
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2016, 03:52:05 PM »
Our biggest problem is the whole "writing" thing. It'd be cool to just make up stories and have the worlds appear instead. Would save a lot of hassle and heartache.  ???

Fixed it.  ;)

Offline Captain Blobby

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2016, 04:04:31 PM »
I have difficulty is shutting up my inner critic, the pedantic, second guessing sod who knows what I'll write before I write it and shoots it down. I'll start the weekend with good intentions to write and by Sunday night I'll be completely drained of any ideas, feeling like a failure.  I would have wrote perhaps 500 words and so I either delete it all or send it to my folder marked mass grave.

I'd love to thump him.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 04:30:25 PM by Captain Blobby »

Offline Overlord

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2016, 10:07:23 AM »
Easy question: Coming up with an idea for an adventure that is worth writing about. A convincing reason why any one the characters care enough to risk their lives.

I often come up with crazy huge adventures, like G.R.R. Martin style epic and find myself too scared to write about them. I hope that, like Sanderson, one day I feel ready to tell my finest tale. I guess that until then I will just keep practicing with my shorter work :)
Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering

Offline Overlord

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2016, 10:10:39 AM »
Aside from getting distracted I apparently lack description in my text which causes my pacing to be way up there.
I have to learn to take my time and actually write down all the stuff I imagine rather than blasting through it...

Pretty much the exact same as me. Writing short stories helped me a fair bit... rather than epic plot and multiple threads, I began being able to focus more on economy and as a result of the form, you get to the second/third/fourth draft stage quicker.

Is that a Boston Terrier in your avatar picture?

Yeah! That's Poppy. She actually came to work with me today (I snuck her in, so having to hide her from my boss!) as my partner's dad has been rushed into Hospital. She has been asleep on a cushion by the printer box (although I woke her up taking this picture) >.>

Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering

Offline CryptofCthulhu

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2016, 10:33:29 AM »
Bostons are the best! My parents have three!  :D
“Silence is only frightening to people who are compulsively verbalizing.” ~ William S. Boroughs

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2016, 09:59:57 PM »
I find middles the hardest. My story outlines all too often go:
1. Gripping and immediately engaging beginning!
2. Development of problems and establishment of heroes/villains
3. STUFF HAPPENS
4. Stirring finale and heartbreaking conclusion

I'm a planner because I need to stitch over the gap between parts 2 and 4 before I start writing, or otherwise I end up on the precipice of the unknown section with no firmer idea of what comes next!

Offline Yora

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2016, 10:08:30 PM »
Have you considered aiming for shorter total lengths? That still means that you have to bring the beginning and the end together in a way that works well, but when you have a great beginning and great end you could make a full work of relatively short length that is pure awesome.
We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on a big tower of other dwarves.

Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor

Offline Very Tired Writer

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2016, 03:21:14 AM »
I guess my biggest problem is that often things don't turn out as well as they do in my head, and I don't like writing when something like that happens.
I don't even know what to put here yet

Offline NinjaRaptor

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2016, 02:34:03 PM »
Finishing what I start and not getting distracted by other ideas are big problems for me. But I would say the biggest challenge of all is characterization.

I notice that characters and their interactions come to me in visual form first and foremost. In my head I see what they look like, what they do, and where they are. It's like watching actors on a movie screen. Internal aspects of character like what's going on inside their heads don't come so naturally to me. And honestly, this isn't much different from how I perceive people in real life. I see what they look like and what they do, but I can't read their minds. I would have thought this normal, but given how people off the autism spectrum claim autistics like me don't have a "theory of mind", it makes me wonder if they have some kind of rudimentary mind-reading ability that we lack.

However, I do find that assigning a motivation and backstory to characters can help with their internal aspects, and even suggest how their character arcs would play out. So I think I have a strategy for overcoming this weakness of mine.
NEW self-published anthology:
Dinosaurs & Dames

Offline m3mnoch

What do you find most difficult about writing?
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2016, 06:26:10 PM »
plot, characters, dialog - these are my faves.  they've always come easy for me.

the painful, suffering-filled bits?

1) writing interesting prose.  i struggle tremendously with the "he did this.  she did that.  he did this other thing.  she followed up with something else."  every sentence would start with a name or pronoun if i didn't constantly battle against it.

2) finding the time to write.  family, work, social activities.  goddamn timesinks, they are.

Offline jefGoelz

« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2016, 03:07:44 AM »
getting published.
nothing is remotely close in difficulty.

Offline Phoenix

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2016, 03:40:03 PM »
Trying to stop procrastinating and actually start writing
"My death shall spark a war, and from the ashes of the battlefield I shall be reborn"