December 13, 2019, 04:49:31 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently writing?  (Read 6292 times)

Offline ChooChooChoo

Re: What are you currently writing?
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2015, 02:55:49 PM »
It is strange why this sort of thing is absent, perhaps because it requires you to bare your precious works a bit, those types of writing that are personally yours and hidden in your word document, suddenly baring it all can feel a bit exposing?

Anyway currently writing a fictional (obviously) autobiography of a gay man who lived a life in the pursuit of looking for something better, his desire to be a poet and write his experiences of the world he traveled through, we discover the fantasy world he lives in through his eyes (I haven't really detailed many elements of it yet, but I want it to be an actual 'world' with different continents and cultures that he travels to).

Begins with him waking up one morning in his first year at university after having slept with the nephew of the King, realising he's made a terrible mistake and needs to get expelled. My idea was to have a fantasy story but from the viewpoint of a writer/poet (Important note: there will be NO torturous Tolkien-esque long poems, trust me) rather than the usual POV character's we get in fantasy. I may also switch gender I haven't decided yet.

Would anyone actually read this? :P I'm curious.
I'd probably give it a go. It has a bit of a Walter Mitty feel about it, and there's also a touch of Replay in there. I quite like fictional biographies, Austin Grossman does them really well.
Hmm bit different from Walter Mitty in tone I think, it's basically a viewpoint from a writer/poet wondering middle earth, rather than imagining his fantasy world. Also trying to quite hard to make sure he's not seen as an unreliable narrator, he's quite honest with his faults. Although people like unreliable narrators so idk.

Don't switch genders. Your story would have more impact if it was a gay man rather then A woman I feel. There seems to be more of a stigma around homosexuality within men in today's society and I feel the setting would realistically offer more opportunities if the character was a man rather then a woman.

Offline Yora

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2015, 05:43:00 PM »
After suffering through a few days of inspirational amnesia, the creative spark has returned today.

Having been fed up with bad and cliched fantasy a while back, I think I did what we Germans call "throwing the child out with the bath water". I do hate stereotypical fantasy adventuring parties with elves, dwarves, and wizards fighting orcs, and dragons, and demons, and undead. But what I really hate is a crappy execution. But the general principle is great. And it's something I very rarely see these days, outside of licensed novels for RPGs and videogames. I think my struggle with finding what I really want to write was that I tried to throw out the good archetypes together with all the cliches and kitsch. And as a result the story elements I still had left were completely lacking in spirit and style.

The most basic idea behind my plans is that most high fantasy worlds have a lost past that is much more magical and fantastical, and whose great wonders have been lost to the current age. Lord of the Rings did it, because that was the theme of the book, and everyone copied it, but without questioning the reason for it. I almost always find the old days of the past much more interesting and often would rather hear the stories that are mentioned of ancient heroes than that of the protagonist of the story. So the central idea is a world in which dragons and minor gods walk the earth, the world is almost all wilderness, and heroes are exploring strange places never seen before by mortals and encountering spirits and great monsters.
The world is entirely forests and oceans, with the people being ruled by tribal leaders and minor kings, and worshiping the spirits of nature that sometimes can be seen on holy mountains or near sacred springs. There are trolls and wild men living in the hills, giant monsters in the sea, and great castles of fey lords in the forests. Witches, shamans, oracles, shapechangers, dryads, talking animals. The whole program.

What I want to do differently is to get away from the idea of mixed adventuring parties that travel from town to town doing mercenary work for excitement and fame. And no dark lords with their armies of evil trying to cover the world in darkness. I want to concentrate on local affairs like a monster that appears near a village and forces the warriors to hunt it, or searching for someone who is cursing other people in the village with dark magic. Stuff like The Thirteenth Warrior instead of Lord of the Rings.
This material is better suited to several stories instead of a big novel, and that also allows for visiting very different places and cultures without going on huge adventures. But I have an idea for one protagonist that I want to use a lot and already have a couple of general story ideas for. A young warrior who doesn't really fit well into the group of older warriors of her village, and as such does a lot of scouting and exploration that take her away sometimes for weeks. She is on the lookout for trouble that might come to her village and one of the handful of people who regular bring news from other neighboring settlements in the region. The central character trait I want to go for is that she is not particularly powerful, but has a tendency to poke ahead a bit further than would be sensible. She knows when things get too big or dangerous for her, but has a compulsion to get one more peek before leaving things alone, leading to trouble. But at that point it's no longer about foolish heroics but saving herself and a few others if possible, even if it takes the most cowardly and undignified methods possible. Her heroism does not come from incredible deeds, but from always risking a bit more than anyone would reasonably expect of her. And to add an autobiographical element, she comments on things half a second before considering if it's appropriate to say something. I don't like comedy outside of obvious satires and hate charming rogues and comic relief characters. But with this character I want to do someone who always has a happy attitude and is slightly rash and impulsive. Not a funny character, but a character that is fun.
Like, if Han Solo was a 21 yea old woman. Or a dialed down version of Toph from Avatar. Or Deunan from Appleseed.
We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on a big tower of other dwarves.

Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor

Offline ClintACK

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2015, 07:47:11 PM »
...what we Germans call "throwing the child out with the bath water"."

In English, we say "Don't throw the baby out with the bath water." -- for the alliteration.

So the central idea is a world in which dragons and minor gods walk the earth, the world is almost all wilderness, and heroes are exploring strange places never seen before by mortals and encountering spirits and great monsters.

The world is entirely forests and oceans, with the people being ruled by tribal leaders and minor kings, and worshiping the spirits of nature that sometimes can be seen on holy mountains or near sacred springs. There are trolls and wild men living in the hills, giant monsters in the sea, and great castles of fey lords in the forests. Witches, shamans, oracles, shapechangers, dryads, talking animals. The whole program.

What I want to do differently is to get away from the idea of mixed adventuring parties that travel from town to town doing mercenary work for excitement and fame. And no dark lords with their armies of evil trying to cover the world in darkness. I want to concentrate on local affairs like a monster that appears near a village and forces the warriors to hunt it, or searching for someone who is cursing other people in the village with dark magic. Stuff like The Thirteenth Warrior instead of Lord of the Rings.

This material is better suited to several stories instead of a big novel, and that also allows for visiting very different places and cultures without going on huge adventures. But I have an idea for one protagonist that I want to use a lot and already have a couple of general story ideas for. A young warrior who doesn't really fit well into the group of older warriors of her village, and as such does a lot of scouting and exploration that take her away sometimes for weeks. She is on the lookout for trouble that might come to her village and one of the handful of people who regular bring news from other neighboring settlements in the region.

The central character trait I want to go for is that she is not particularly powerful, but has a tendency to poke ahead a bit further than would be sensible. She knows when things get too big or dangerous for her, but has a compulsion to get one more peek before leaving things alone, leading to trouble. But at that point it's no longer about foolish heroics but saving herself and a few others if possible, even if it takes the most cowardly and undignified methods possible. Her heroism does not come from incredible deeds, but from always risking a bit more than anyone would reasonably expect of her. And to add an autobiographical element, she comments on things half a second before considering if it's appropriate to say something. I don't like comedy outside of obvious satires and hate charming rogues and comic relief characters. But with this character I want to do someone who always has a happy attitude and is slightly rash and impulsive. Not a funny character, but a character that is fun.
Like, if Han Solo was a 21 yea old woman. Or a dialed down version of Toph from Avatar. Or Deunan from Appleseed.

Sounds awesome.  I would pick up a book based on that blurb.

You should NaNoWriMo her first adventure -- the one that takes place in her home and sets her to wandering.  Or whichever one excites you the most.

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2015, 09:59:54 PM »

ooooh...  i'd totally read that.

doooo eeeeet.

Offline ArhiX

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2015, 11:02:15 PM »
The most basic idea behind my plans is that most high fantasy worlds have a lost past that is much more magical and fantastical, and whose great wonders have been lost to the current age. Lord of the Rings did it, because that was the theme of the book, and everyone copied it, but without questioning the reason for it. I almost always find the old days of the past much more interesting and often would rather hear the stories that are mentioned of ancient heroes than that of the protagonist of the story. So the central idea is a world in which dragons and minor gods walk the earth, the world is almost all wilderness, and heroes are exploring strange places never seen before by mortals and encountering spirits and great monsters.

Im telling you: 'magical dinosaurs'. Humans (and all other humanoid races) are boring.
I also always loved when author had mentioned something about the past of his world. Great magicians, powerfull demons, raging dragons. It always seemed so much more interesting than protagonists wandering through human-infested world, searching for 'whatever-that-is-there-that-they-desire'.

Wild world with changing rules.

This is my life's purpose. My only aim and goal for now. To create a story about the world, from it's very beginning, to the very end. It might never be published. It can rot in my drawer. But it will be there.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 11:03:47 PM by ArhiX »
"The world is full of stories, and from time to time, they permit themselves to be told."

Offline ClintACK

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2015, 11:52:40 PM »
This is my life's purpose. My only aim and goal for now. To create a story about the world, from it's very beginning, to the very end. It might never be published. It can rot in my drawer. But it will be there.

One of my trunk ideas that I'll probably never do is to tell the story of a tree.  Not an ent walking around, but an actual tree.  Fighting its neighbors for sunlight.  Rapid growth when a neighboring tree is lost in a storm.  Chemically fighting off insect invasions.  Woodpeckers and squirrels and an insect invasion. 

Offline night_wrtr

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2015, 03:59:53 PM »

One of my trunk ideas that I'll probably never do is to tell the story of a tree.  Not an ent walking around, but an actual tree.  Fighting its neighbors for sunlight.  Rapid growth when a neighboring tree is lost in a storm.  Chemically fighting off insect invasions.  Woodpeckers and squirrels and an insect invasion. 

Please do this. I wish to be a beta-reader.

Offline Matamelcan

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2015, 04:45:44 PM »
2 novels, and numerous short stories.
Ugh, at least I like them.
"Deep within the dark embrace of the forest, under massive boughs and a roof of intertwined limbs, several elves bowed their heads, lips moving silently in prayer, the raging storm lost to them in the tranquility of their faith."

Offline ClintACK

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2015, 05:45:20 PM »

Please do this. I wish to be a beta-reader.

Heh.  It's in my file of "overly ambitious" story ideas I couldn't possibly pull off with my current skill level.  (Single character, man-vs-world conflict, no dialogue, inhumanly passive PoV char...) But someday.  :)

Offline Yora

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2015, 06:33:46 PM »
Sounds like my idea of an alien contact story, in which humans detect a signal that has been traveling from another planet for over a hundred years, and it will take 200 more years until they may or may not get a reply to the answer they send back. There's never any aliens in it and the signal that was detected doesn't really have any useful information other than "Hello, is there someone out there?"
But having people react to that could still be a great story. I just don't have any idea how to do that yet.  :D
We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on a big tower of other dwarves.

Offline ClintACK

« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2015, 08:56:09 PM »
This thread seems to have sucked the "Awesome ideas..." thread into it. 

I wonder if anyone's ever written a short sci-fi story about the life cycle of an internet thread.

Offline night_wrtr

« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2015, 09:16:44 PM »
This thread seems to have sucked the "Awesome ideas..." thread into it. 

I wonder if anyone's ever written a short sci-fi story about the life cycle of an internet thread.

;D

For fantasy I can see the perfect antagonist:

"In the beginning there was a post. An origional post, with life and purpose. Then, without warning...the Trolls came."

Offline Yora

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2015, 09:17:25 PM »
A story that I really want to write for real, but want to have a lot more experience before I try it, is about a girl with magic powers and an old warrior who is her bodyguard, who work for a warlord who uses her as his secret weapons to defeat enemy armies. But she never wanted any of that and only did what she was told because she had to, but now that she's older she is trying to escape. The biggest problem is her bodyguard, who was always good to her but is very loyal to the warlord and doesn't want to hear anything about quitting. He would get into a lot of trouble and lose his status, but is also one of the few people in the army who she does not want to see hurt.
And as with all my story ideas, I already know the ending and its emotional content. The big part of the work is in building up the characters and their personal motivations to get the reader to the point where that final scene has the emotional impact I want it to have.

The concept is very much a deconstruction of the whole young adult hero archetype and fantasy warfare, and very much inspired by the old TV show Neon Genesis Evangelion. I think 50,000 words is a good aim. It's by far the most ambitious story concept I have and I hate rewriting old stories later, so it's something I want to get right on the first try. I don't expect to doing it anytime soon.

Offline jefGoelz

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2015, 02:29:09 AM »
A low fantasy war story centering on a squad of soldiers (really, on two of them). They are (mostly) "normal" people who have magical weapons. Set in alternate reality earth where magic has replaced (much of) the industrial revolution.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 02:31:57 AM by jefGoelz »

Offline KaiHerbertz

« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2015, 08:03:07 PM »
I'm writing (and will continue to do so during NaNoWriMo) the sequel to my novel. The logline of the new book is: "A broken wizard seeks to redeem himself while struggling to prevent an undead dragon from ending mankind."