April 04, 2020, 12:58:15 AM

Author Topic: Wearing costume while writing  (Read 4257 times)

Offline K.B. Adams

Wearing costume while writing
« on: March 26, 2015, 09:52:50 PM »
Does anyone else ever find it useful and/or fun to dress in costume similar to the main character you're currently writing on?

Doesn't work if you're a gal writing about a three-headed male dragon, or switching characters quickly. But a few times when I donned translucent wings, or another time I wore a pinafore over a calico dress, pantaloons and a bonnet, it helped me tap into other realms of thought.

The hard part is doing this as an adult and hoping no one will see you. If you continually worry about someone finding you out, it's harder not to have one foot in the current realm on guard while slipping off into fairyland or the 1890s. Even if other people "understand why you're doing it," I find their presence pulls me right out of my suspension of disbelief.

Offline jefGoelz

Re: Wearing costume while writing
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 10:05:09 PM »
hard to type while wearing gauntlets.  ;)

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 10:17:57 PM »
Is this sort of like the pitcher in Bull Durham who wears panties on the mound (yes, that's the word) in order to think less about...pitching?  ;D

Um, no. I've never tried it!
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 10:21:22 PM »
Can't say I have, though throwing on a Victorian coat, some slacks, and nice shoes probably isn't that hard. Just not my cup of tea while writing.
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline Conan

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 04:19:57 AM »
Maybe you should tell people what the K.B. stands for, before we attempt to answer this.

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

c
Tied up and twisted; gnarled and knotted with wrinkles; haggardly firm and unyielding; his eyes glowing like coals, that still glow in the ashes of ruin; untottering Ahab stood forth in the clearness of the morn; lifting his splintered helmet of a brow to the fair girl's forehead of heaven.

Offline K.B. Adams

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 05:37:59 PM »
"K" is the initial of my late husband's first name, he died of pancreatic cancer. "B" is the initial of my first name. We wrote the ebook "Build 100 Worlds" (fantasy fiction ideas) together before he died. So K.B. is my fantasy fiction name from now on.

Online Rostum

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 06:01:31 PM »
Is this like character acting? character writing perhaps.

Offline K.B. Adams

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2015, 08:23:55 PM »
Sort of a way to get a deeper felt sense of being the character, or being within the setting's time frame. I wouldn't have known this worked if I hadn't taken part in an historical re-enactment as an educational project that had nothing to do with fantasy writing. It was almost haunting, even the children involved were saying they didn't feel they were in the 21st Century anymore, they had time traveled.

I don't do this for my entire writing session, just now and then I get tangibly into character in some way, even for 15 minutes, and something in the mind shifts and gives me a thought wave to return to. To continue to just sit in the costume while in front of a laptop doesn't do the trick. Once I'm really into the writing itself in front of the keyboard, I don't notice the current surroundings or garb and need to be free from distraction and to be very comfortable.

Offline Sir Gawain

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2015, 11:14:40 AM »
As sort of a side job, I used to design and make gowns and alter clothes for my brother (a professional photographer). In doing this, and editing his master's thesis, I came to understand that the clothing actually gave meaning and depth to his photographs. A great photograph is one of the most difficult things in the world to pull off. Unlike writing, you have to convey everything in one still, including mood and motivation. What the model wore added to the depth of the photograph and also influenced her reaction to the whole shoot.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's not that strange of an idea. If you are wearing a long, black, reptilian looking gown, you are probably more inclined to feel like a villain, or at least out of this world.

And honestly, I cant judge anyone when it comes to dressing up. I used to make new costumes for each renaissance fair. It's relatively cheap when you know how to use a pattern and catch materials on sale. I even dressed up my poor husband and his friend in arm guards and helms. I had larpers following us around the whole faire asking when we wanted to meet for a match and where we got our costumes. I think the crowning moment of one of these trips was the dance I had with Henry VIII's and his courtiers because of how authentic my costume looked. I have to say, even thought I was just dancing with re-en-actors, it was pretty awesome. Being spun and tossed around in period clothing is great for writing.

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2015, 01:16:04 PM »
As sort of a side job, I used to design and make gowns and alter clothes for my brother (a professional photographer). In doing this, and editing his master's thesis, I came to understand that the clothing actually gave meaning and depth to his photographs. A great photograph is one of the most difficult things in the world to pull off. Unlike writing, you have to convey everything in one still, including mood and motivation. What the model wore added to the depth of the photograph and also influenced her reaction to the whole shoot.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's not that strange of an idea. If you are wearing a long, black, reptilian looking gown, you are probably more inclined to feel like a villain, or at least out of this world.

And honestly, I cant judge anyone when it comes to dressing up. I used to make new costumes for each renaissance fair. It's relatively cheap when you know how to use a pattern and catch materials on sale. I even dressed up my poor husband and his friend in arm guards and helms. I had larpers following us around the whole faire asking when we wanted to meet for a match and where we got our costumes. I think the crowning moment of one of these trips was the dance I had with Henry VIII's and his courtiers because of how authentic my costume looked. I have to say, even thought I was just dancing with re-en-actors, it was pretty awesome. Being spun and tossed around in period clothing is great for writing.
Really neat stuff. I have to say I started out sort "meh" and "really?" about the idea - snooty me. Reading several posts, including this one, makes me re-think. And I haven;t been to a RenFair in some years. Probably time to go back!
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2015, 02:16:16 PM »

Really neat stuff. I have to say I started out sort "meh" and "really?" about the idea - snooty me. Reading several posts, including this one, makes me re-think. And I haven;t been to a RenFair in some years. Probably time to go back!

Time to buy the goat costume you had you eye on....
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline wakarimasen

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Builder
  • Currently suffering multiple story disorder...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2015, 03:12:06 PM »

That's got to be like those the People Against Goodness And Normalcy wear... surely?
[youtube]NIm8qNirTOk[/youtube]

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2015, 03:25:49 PM »

That's got to be like those the People Against Goodness And Normalcy wear... surely?
[youtube]NIm8qNirTOk[/youtube]
I want!
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2015, 01:40:44 AM »
Deuce, my current character is a naked, emaciated human eating boogeyman from the American Indian traditions and I am not dressing like it, especially as fall is turning into winter here, and Australians have no clue what double glazing means!!
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty