August 23, 2019, 11:32:21 PM

Author Topic: Wattpad  (Read 1105 times)

Online Eli_Freysson

Wattpad
« on: March 03, 2019, 09:17:20 AM »
Yes, I move between options quickly, don't I?

Anyway, it has been suggested to me to simply release my next novel for free online, chapter by chapter as I write them, for the sake of feedback and hopefully some word of mouth. I would then release the finished version on Amazon.

The more I think about this option the more I like it. It would let me actually interact with readers.

But there's still the question of which site to go with. I'm aware of Wattpad, and I've done some minor reading on it. But I'd love to hear someone who's more experienced with the site than I am. Are there better options out there? Does Wattpad have some glaring flaw I'm not aware of?
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
Re: Wattpad
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 07:29:00 AM »
I think it's more about the demographic you're shooting for. Wattpad skews young. I have a friend who writes weird violent Gonzo shit and he did pretty well for himself on Wattpad. I started my current WIP on writerscafe which is generally better for poetry but I had a handful of dedicated readers driving me to finish a new chapter each week. It was never enough to really be considered an audience
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 07:30:33 AM by J.R. Darewood »

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 07:55:22 AM »
I think that Mark Lawrence did a story on Wattpad, chapter by chapter
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline NedMarcus

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 12:32:39 PM »
Does Wattpad have some glaring flaw I'm not aware of?

It obviously works for some. The most glaring flaw I'm aware of is the 400+ million stories uploaded to it, and this is the main reason I've not bothered with it.

Online Eli_Freysson

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 12:52:58 PM »
I think that Mark Lawrence did a story on Wattpad, chapter by chapter

Yes, I came across it. "Gunlaw".
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline Magnus Hedén

• High Lord of commas and Grand Master of semicolons
  • Godling
  • My name is Magnus. I make stuff up.
    • View Profile
    • My Patreon
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 01:01:55 PM »
I plan on releasing my first novel (which I'm actually hard at work on now) just like so through Patreon, and I've considered Wattpad as well (but with Early Access for patrons). I've not looked into it as I'm still a ways off, but I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts and experiences, as well as other suggestions.
You can find stories on my Patreon
I'm also on Twitter and the Book of Faces

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2019, 12:13:15 AM »
Does Wattpad have some glaring flaw I'm not aware of?

It obviously works for some. The most glaring flaw I'm aware of is the 400+ million stories uploaded to it, and this is the main reason I've not bothered with it.

My experience through wattpad was a as a reader/browser and I've officially written off this website entirely as being trash. I'm probably being unfair because I could maybe find good content if I dug and searched especially for it but, what I find glaring is that the best voted and best read stories tend to be awful, poorly written teen at its worst. Lots of smut and fanfic too. Lots of fanfic smut.
I just... I just never read a good thing on wattsap, and I have a feeling that Mark Lawrence gets to do that because we'd read his work on toilet paper anyway.
I mean, 4.6M reads here : https://www.wattpad.com/story/81539148-babysitting-the-bad-boy
And 7.4M reads there : https://www.wattpad.com/story/47260925-the-vampire-king
And these have somewhat correct english in their descriptions! Not always the case even in stuff with millions of reads.

I'm just carrying my point of view however, and as I said it's very biased because I browsed what's popular on wattpad, and not tried to search small works. But overall I feel like quality work is drowned in there and unless you know the person publishes there, there is no incentive at all for me to slog through it in search of good content.

Only my honest feeling about the website. Of course it's a good system to go with episodic publication if you don't have your own website! But like I said, maybe more if you already have a following?
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2019, 11:11:23 AM »
My experience through wattpad was a as a reader/browser and I've officially written off this website entirely as being trash. I'm probably being unfair because I could maybe find good content if I dug and searched especially for it but, what I find glaring is that the best voted and best read stories tend to be awful, poorly written teen at its worst. Lots of smut and fanfic too. Lots of fanfic smut.

I mean, 4.6M reads here : https://www.wattpad.com/story/81539148-babysitting-the-bad-boy
And 7.4M reads there : https://www.wattpad.com/story/47260925-the-vampire-king

Yeah, that's kind of what I was getting at when I said Wattpad skews young. But, uh, more descriptive. :) @Nora you hit it right on the head!

Offline SarahW

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2019, 03:15:44 AM »
I used to use Wattpad, but as I mentioned with my fellow LitRPG / GameLit authors, I prefer WebNovel.

Though more than that, I actually prefer my own website, because then I can manage whether my stuff has abusive software in it or not. (People that own their own content, by its nature, aren't easily manipulated into doing things against their own interest.)

Analytics is the big thing to me, I have no way of knowing where the analytics is coming from, and ... that makes me somewhat uncomfortable.