September 23, 2018, 07:23:21 PM

Author Topic: UGH... self-promotion  (Read 13432 times)

Offline Magnus Hedén

• High Lord of commas and Grand Master of semicolons
  • Night Angel
  • My name is Magnus. I make stuff up.
    • View Profile
    • My Patreon
Re: UGH... self-promotion
« Reply #90 on: June 13, 2017, 10:17:53 PM »
I don't like trying to appeal to the masses by being someone I'm not, either. So I don't. I go for a more personal connection, and I have accepted that I will be building slowly. For every personality, there is a successful way to approach online marketing. If you try to force it, I'm pretty sure you'll end up nowhere.

You should check out Amanda Palmer's The Art of Asking.

It started as a heartfelt TED-talk but she later wrote a book. Mind you, it's not some marketing course, more of a personal tale, but it can give you perspective on marketing. It helped me understand that there's more than one way to do things (also she's an amazing person).
You can find stories on my Patreon
I'm also on Twitter and the Book of Faces

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #91 on: June 14, 2017, 01:35:25 PM »

I think social media is how something like 30% of millennials discover books-- meaning 70% discover it another way-- and that can mean that you made it on someone *else's* social media-- and plenty of non-millenials out there don't discover books on social media either.  The largest category is word of mouth, but there are plenty of other ways.  Also, looking at how x% of people discovered books in general doesn't give you the marketing trajectory of an individual book-- that's totally different. People talk or share or instagam or whatever on their own, but what got the book to that point? The first link below is really revealing in that sense.

I'm just gonna leave these here...

http://www.goodreads.com/blog/show/372-anatomy-of-book-discovery-a-case-study

https://www.slideshare.net/GoodreadsPresentations/how-consumers-discover-books-online

http://www.ingenta.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/White-Paper-How-Millennials-Consume-Content.pdf

http://www.digitalbookworld.com/2017/powerful-shortcut-discovering-keywords-increase-ebook-sales/

Offline Magnus Hedén

• High Lord of commas and Grand Master of semicolons
  • Night Angel
  • My name is Magnus. I make stuff up.
    • View Profile
    • My Patreon
« Reply #92 on: June 14, 2017, 02:43:59 PM »
Very interesting. I'll definitely have a look at those and try to figure out ways to spread the word that suits my style (and conscience).

But I think social media is where someone who is completely unknown has a shot at getting the word out to a lot of people without spending lots of money. Not that there aren't other ways, I know a lot of basically unknown writers who for example contact local bookstores to do book signings, giveaways, etc. and I am sure there are many other creative ways. But I think it's a whole lot tougher without being active on social media. It tends to amplify and support other efforts, as well.
You can find stories on my Patreon
I'm also on Twitter and the Book of Faces

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #93 on: June 15, 2017, 11:44:26 AM »
Well, I've set up my first Goodreads Giveaway. The rules have evidently changed a bit since that list of advice I found was written, and it now has to start at least a week after you set it up, and last for at least a week. So it starts next Wednesday.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #94 on: June 15, 2017, 03:36:37 PM »
Well, I've set up my first Goodreads Giveaway. The rules have evidently changed a bit since that list of advice I found was written, and it now has to start at least a week after you set it up, and last for at least a week. So it starts next Wednesday.

PM me and remind me when it's up, Eli, and I'll retweet it for what that's worth.

Offline abatch

« Reply #95 on: June 15, 2017, 10:09:08 PM »

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #96 on: June 16, 2017, 02:08:51 AM »
I'd offer to retweet as well but I think I only have like 10 followers.

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #97 on: June 21, 2017, 08:12:22 AM »
Well, my giveaway is up:

https://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/show/241444-the-war-of-the-usurper

Let's see how it goes.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #98 on: June 21, 2017, 08:54:48 AM »
Good luck!
And I like the mysterious photo ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #99 on: June 21, 2017, 09:45:50 AM »
And I like the mysterious photo ;D

Heh. Yeah. It was taken last year, at the Námaskarð geothermal area. Those are sulphuric fumes.

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #100 on: June 21, 2017, 02:59:11 PM »
Well, my giveaway is up:

https://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/show/241444-the-war-of-the-usurper

Let's see how it goes.

I'm a bit confused by the page. You're only giving away a single copy? Or is it one copy per person? It currently says 1 copy available, with 138 people requesting.

I was going to retweet this for you, but if it's only one book and there's already 138 people requesting it, they might be a bit disappointed :p

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #101 on: June 21, 2017, 03:30:31 PM »
I'm a bit confused by the page. You're only giving away a single copy? Or is it one copy per person? It currently says 1 copy available, with 138 people requesting.

I was going to retweet this for you, but if it's only one book and there's already 138 people requesting it, they might be a bit disappointed :p

One copy is pretty much standard. I read an article by a woman with a marketing degree, who brought the scientific method to bear against the whole GG thing. Among other things, she came to the conclusion that offering multiple copies makes no difference.

Offline abatch

« Reply #102 on: June 21, 2017, 08:31:58 PM »
Let's see if that's true. I, too, will give away one copy -- paperback or for Kindle -- to the first person who claims it.

https://www.amazon.com/Steel-Blood-Fire-Immortal-Treachery-ebook/dp/B00AW53RMQ?ie=UTF8&keywords=steel%2C%20blood%20%26%20fire&qid=1462334033&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #103 on: June 21, 2017, 09:02:26 PM »
Let's see if that's true. I, too, will give away one copy -- paperback or for Kindle -- to the first person who claims it.

https://www.amazon.com/Steel-Blood-Fire-Immortal-Treachery-ebook/dp/B00AW53RMQ?ie=UTF8&keywords=steel%2C%20blood%20%26%20fire&qid=1462334033&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

I see that you've got a solid number of reviews. Have you tried for BookBub at all? It's difficult to get into, but it can really work wonders for your sales, or so I've heard.

Offline abatch

« Reply #104 on: June 22, 2017, 05:31:25 AM »
I believe I have and was declined. But that was several reviews ago...Perhaps I'll try again.  :)