April 26, 2017, 02:52:56 PM

Author Topic: UGH... self-promotion  (Read 3192 times)

Offline Lordoftheword

Re: UGH... self-promotion
« Reply #75 on: February 17, 2017, 02:23:03 PM »
Thanks @Eclipse. Some good stuff there!

I would also highly recommend listening to the Writing Excuses podcast with Brandon Sanderson and Co. The last season on genre writing was absolutely fantastic and has really helped me iron out some of the issues I was having with my current WIP. They also have some tips on self-promotion and regularly interview publishers and editors, so there's a lot of material there for everyone currently on the road to published authordom  :)
Author of Tournament of Hearts: The Librarian Gladiator.
Check out my embarrassing misadventures @ www.dustindoes.com

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #76 on: March 30, 2017, 09:54:56 PM »
So... does anyone here do author newsletters?

I'm trying to dig my out out of my hopelessness regarding my writing career, and actually ventured onto the Goodreads forums and asked for advice. Some wonderful mod deleted the thread, but one woman I managed to stay in contact with, due to remembering her name, linked me to a blog post about newsletters:

https://janefriedman.com/email-newsletters-for-authors/

I was slightly hopeful for a little bit, but after reading through it became evident that those require you to have some sort of social media presence. You need some way to reach out to people and get them interested in what you're doing, and you need the passion and dedication to do this regularly. I don't have those. I've tried to blog, and I consistently have nothing to say to strangers on the internet.

It seems that no matter what option I look at, it all requires me to engage in a way I just can't.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline Not Lu

« Reply #77 on: March 31, 2017, 04:43:28 PM »
So... does anyone here do author newsletters?

I'm trying to dig my out out of my hopelessness regarding my writing career, and actually ventured onto the Goodreads forums and asked for advice. Some wonderful mod deleted the thread, but one woman I managed to stay in contact with, due to remembering her name, linked me to a blog post about newsletters:

https://janefriedman.com/email-newsletters-for-authors/

I was slightly hopeful for a little bit, but after reading through it became evident that those require you to have some sort of social media presence. You need some way to reach out to people and get them interested in what you're doing, and you need the passion and dedication to do this regularly. I don't have those. I've tried to blog, and I consistently have nothing to say to strangers on the internet.

It seems that no matter what option I look at, it all requires me to engage in a way I just can't.

Instead of a lead generation newsletter start a "true fan" newsletter for people who have read one of your books. Put links in the back of your books that go to a signup page. In the newsletter you can talk about new characters or where the next book is going. All of that stuff you can automate with Mailchimp or other sites. Basically, you can write the content once then send it at monthly intervals starting from the date that someone signs up. You can also send announcements when you have a new book released. Or ask your newsletter subscribers to give your book a review, etc.

Once you've got a newsletter going, you can then join other fantasy authors in newsletter swaps where they all run a .99 cent or free promotion of a book at the same time. Then they email all of their subscribers at the same time. It's a free way to get a lot of people reading your book. In addition, some of them will go on to read the rest of the series and, of course, signup for your newsletter (where you keep then engaged enough to want to buy your other books).

Offline abatch

« Reply #78 on: April 21, 2017, 10:19:47 PM »
I've been promoting my first book -- the first in a now-four book series -- for four years It's all peaks and valleys, and I'm still hoping for a respectable valley floor (like, say, five books a day, for starters). But it's all about building a fan base and a collection of work.

And reminding folks that your stuff's still out there! :)

Tags: