September 16, 2019, 01:55:25 PM

Author Topic: The Worldbuilder Herald  (Read 1766 times)

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
The Worldbuilder Herald
« on: March 20, 2015, 12:32:47 PM »
This is somewhat a writing prompt, but also a place for discussion or critique.
Write a news article about a part of/event in your world(s) as if it were for a newspaper. Then give feedback or comment on the other pieces. As an example:

Simon Asher accused of necromancy!
Barge Hold -
Yesterday evening late, lord Asher was arrested at his estate near Barge Hold after several parties had expressed their concern regarding strange noises coming from his home.

Lord Asher was to run for the position of mayor later this year. His opposition informed us that they regret to see such a fine man fallen so low.
While Asher was indeed a highly esteemed member of society, once a member of the admiraldiers, none of his neighbours seem surprised. Asher was a retired man after operation Magi and spent a lot of time by himself.

At the moment of writing, peacekeepers are running through his manse in search of evidence of the forbidden southern magic.

Interviews on page 3.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
Re: The Worldbuilder Herald
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 12:42:21 PM »
This is somewhat a writing prompt, but also a place for discussion or critique.
Write a news article about a part of/event in your world(s) as if it were for a newspaper. Then give feedback or comment on the other pieces. As an example:

Simon Asher accused of necromancy!
Barge Hold -
Yesterday evening late, lord Asher was arrested at his estate near Barge Hold after several parties had expressed their concern regarding strange noises coming from his home.

Lord Asher was to run for the position of mayor later this year. His opposition informed us that they regret to see such a fine man fallen so low.
While Asher was indeed a highly esteemed member of society, once a member of the admiraldiers, none of his neighbours seem surprised. Asher was a retired man after operation Magi and spent a lot of time by himself.

At the moment of writing, peacekeepers are running through his manse in search of evidence of the forbidden southern magic.

Interviews on page 3.
OK, I'll bite a bit. "peacekeepers are running".
Not so much. The rest of the article is quite neutral - this strikes me as a change in tone.
"Operation Magi". It makes me curious about that, but with my memories cluttered with "Operation Desert Grain of Sand" and everything else, it just sounds too.... straightforward. :)
I also want the article to discuss Lord Asher's belfry and carillon. Don't see that in there.  ;)

The combination of magic, politics and retired expert grabs my attention.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Henry Dale

• Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 12:56:36 PM »
No one said it was a neutral newspaper :p

What's operation desert grain of sand?

That belfry and carillon is going to haunt me >.>

Thanks for the feedback! Now it's up to you guys to write something ^^

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 01:38:07 PM »
What's operation desert grain of sand?
Just a smart aleck riff on "Operation Desert Storm". "Operation Enduring Freedom", "Operation Desert Shield".
Yada Yada. (as in, et cetera, but smart alecky)

Operation Overlord... now that was an Operation name! Maybe you've got me convinced on "Operation Magi" ;)
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 02:02:38 PM »
OK, my newspaper article...

Mysterious Fire Destroys Bitter Keep
Warmenton, Little North

Word has reached the Capital of a mysterious fire that gutted the ancient castle known as Bitter Keep, the primary residence of Tertius Argamem Prato, sometime during the last month. It is said that Prato, his son Jored and every member of the household perished in the blaze. The Star Sheet contacted Secondus Domina Maridan, and she has ordered her husband, Strategos Landrew, and a company of our proud Larten City Reserve to ride north and ensure that the citizens of the Little North are in no danger in the absence of their Tertius.

The rider who brought this disturbing message to Our City describes a strange series of events that can only be described as deeply worrying if they are found to be even close to the truth. She also reports rumors that former Battlemaster, Quartis Faris Greyheart, was in the Little North during this time. Greyheart has been little seen in several years and is reputed to have been exploring the frontier and investigating means to prevent incursions by the Kolder tribes.

Unlike our brother news sheets, that bay and cry at every distant drumbeat and quiet rustle of leaves, the Star will not yet report on the full story provided by this messenger, since the facts are not confirmed. But we will bring you this tale of strange magics as soon as we are able. Remember, responsible citizens do not gossip or rumor-monger to the detriment of Our City.
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Henry Dale

• Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 02:13:26 PM »
Nice one ^^
Not sure what this Star Sheet is but I suppose it's some sort of Oracle? Though it could also be the name of your newspaper seeing as you mention it later as the star.
Also, latin names :p
And I suspect the Kolder to cast magic and torch the fort? Though it might be something more complex...hmmmm.

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2015, 06:48:58 AM »

Warmenton, Little North

Unlike our brother news sheets, that bay and cry at every distant drumbeat and quiet rustle of leaves, the Star .

Hi Brother Goat, was reading this and enjoying, but the idiom jarred,  try out    ..who raise a hue and cry .... and check out the origin in wiki. Used often in medieval times and originated in common law. Then they sent hounds baying after the culprits.

No offence meant, please don't send in the herd.
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2015, 01:54:10 PM »

Warmenton, Little North

Unlike our brother news sheets, that bay and cry at every distant drumbeat and quiet rustle of leaves, the Star .

Hi Brother Goat, was reading this and enjoying, but the idiom jarred,  try out    ..who raise a hue and cry .... and check out the origin in wiki. Used often in medieval times and originated in common law. Then they sent hounds baying after the culprits.

No offence meant, please don't send in the herd.
Awesome! Thank you!
www.starlit-lands.com