October 20, 2020, 03:58:17 PM

Author Topic: The Origins of Mary Sue!  (Read 1505 times)

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • www.tebakutis.com
The Origins of Mary Sue!
« on: February 27, 2016, 02:01:20 AM »
HOLD ON THERE, DENIZENS OF F-F! First, a disclaimer and ground rules. :)

It's not my intent to restart an earlier debate about whether a character in a show or movie is or is not a "Mary Sue". I certainly thought it was an interesting discussion and enjoyed it (including how civil everyone was!) but that's not the reason I wanted to post this link for our writers. It is, however, appropriate to the theme of our Monthly Writing Contest, Fanfiction!

I recently came across THE ACTUAL STAR TREK FANFIC from which we later lifted the term "Mary Sue" ... a story called "A Trekkie's Tale" from a young Star Trek fan named Paula Smith. I've been aware of the origins of the term "Mary Sue" for awhile, and I understand that how we use it has changed over time, but I'd never actually read the fanfic from which it spawned ... until today!

Needless to say, I was delighted to find the original story preserved on a site called Fanlore. It's actually a fairly funny read, and, as much as we may now debate who or who is not a "Mary Sue" and where we should use the term, the fanfic itself feels (to me) like a great example of a young Star Trek fan just geeking out as she imagines herself joining the crew of the Enterprise. There's something touchingly genuine about the idea of a young fan just writing herself into the story because she loves the show.

When I was young, I could seriously have seen myself writing a fanfic like this about me joining the Transformers, or the crew of the Yamato, or becoming a Robotech pilot, or something similar. I'm not sure I would have been quite so amazing as Lt. Mary Sue ... but I also can't say I wouldn't have been. :0

Anyway, you can read the entire fanfic (which is literally five paragraphs) at the following link. Enjoy, and consider yourself privy to one of the classics.

http://fanlore.org/wiki/A_Trekkie's_Tale

ONE EDIT: I should also point out, for those who don't dig all the way in, that the story was intentionally satirical. But I don't think that takes away from the way it channels a young fan who just wants to be part of the story, which I think is the core of what makes us want to write fanfiction.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 02:07:25 AM by tebakutis »

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
Re: The Origins of Mary Sue!
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 04:05:29 AM »
The portrait of Mary Sue is absolutely terrifying.  :o
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 04:20:16 AM »
Wow. Intense.

But how 'Tralfamadorian Order of Good Guyhood' did not become a thing escapes me altogether.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline CryptofCthulhu

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 10:19:42 AM »
I know I tend to fall into the fanfic, interject myself into the story as a new character, mode when I am reading a book or watching a TV series I really like.
“Silence is only frightening to people who are compulsively verbalizing.” ~ William S. Boroughs

Offline Iramesoj

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2019, 02:57:10 PM »
I think characters that do all in a perfect way are predecible and can became hateful, so writters shouldn't build them.

However, I think nowadays there are a "fashion" that says we must hate virtuous characters and this is a mistake. In other words, is falling in the other extreme.

For example, a sexy, intelligent, brave and honest hero that lives adventures against the evil characters of the story can be a nice character. You shouldn't build that character as "the guy who always wins" because then, readers wouldn't like him. However, you can create a good character with that attributes, but if you don't want that character being fairly hated, you should put him sometimes in hard situations: he should be defeated for someone strongest, being captured, etc.

However, I guess some people would say "I don't like that character, is a Mary Sue" because nowadays, a fashion said characters must be built in a dark way, like in SoIaF. That actual fashion dictates "Good Vs Evil" is a bad trope and characters should be ambiguous (like the man who cheat his wife but loves his friends, etc). As a consequence of that fashion, virtuous characters are looked in a bad way... and this is a mistake.

I think that because, in my opinion, literature should be varied, so we should have the chance to read about all types of characters: very virtuous, very mean and not as polarized characters. If all characters are built in a same way, we are killing literature.