December 09, 2019, 12:43:15 PM

Author Topic: The Originality Thread! (For Authors and Tears)  (Read 5327 times)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
Re: The Originality Thread! (For Authors and Tears)
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2016, 05:13:24 PM »
Yep, @m3mnoch.

And this:
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2016, 10:08:32 AM »
I once had an idea very similar to the Japanese anime "Your Name", in the romance and dream part, wayyy before I saw the film (which was today). Great thing I gave up on trying to write romance and drastically uphaul the idea, turning it to an idea for a horror short story instead (for which I am rather satisfied with).

Offline Peat

« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2017, 01:01:00 PM »
I was reminded the other day of an idea I came up with that would feature a group of Monster Hunters, trying to stay aloof from the politics of the Empire in their role as protectors of the common folk, owing much of their power to alchemical preparations.

"Oh, like The Witcher?" says the friend I show it to.

Err, yes, now you mention it... Curses! Foiled again!

Offline MammaMamae

« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2017, 04:12:47 AM »
I started writing a Roman a Clef of my college years / young adulthood in Pittsburgh.  One of the major characters was based on my on and off college "boyfriend" / best friend; a sexually ambiguous bookstore clerk with daddy issues and an uncertain future, recently graduated from Pitt.

Lots of scenes in Oakland, Shadyside, and Schenley Park.

All I can say is darn you, Michael Chabon. 

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2017, 05:13:15 PM »
I remember earlier in this thread I said it wouldn't be that important and perhaps could use the similar material anyway.

Well, now the joke's on me.

I have a WIP with pirates loosely based in a country like Venice. The Most Serene Republic of Venice, as History records it.
To make an allusion for it, I had the ruler called by "Your Serenity".

Five minutes ago I picked up The Goblin's Emperor and in the first chapter you can guess what they call the Goblin Emperor ...  ::)

Hm, what to do now. Follow my own advice and keep it anyway or change to something else like "Most Serene" (though I think this is a little too obvious and direct)? Hm.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2017, 05:44:34 PM »
Hm, what to do now. Follow my own advice and keep it anyway or change to something else like "Most Serene" (though I think this is a little too obvious and direct)? Hm.

Ha! While I cannot offer the answer you seek, Lanko, I can at least offer sympathy. Hope you figure it out.

Offline RobertS

• Builder
  • Personal Text, isn't that a bit personal?
    • View Profile
    • robertdavidstrawn.com
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2017, 05:55:50 PM »
I have been composing and working on an epic fantasy series, "Headgames," for quite some time. It's a seven book series that is million words long so there are ample opportunities for possible similarities to other works. I have immersed myself in the parallels between myth, religion and folktales in order to try and find the beliefs that are native to humans. While stitching it all together I decided to put in a classic Texas family that would match close enough to real families that exist in rural Texas. In this case I wanted to have Norse Gods hiding their existence and fitting into their community. Since a lot of the settlers that left long family traditions here in Texas were named "Johnson," I decided to give my hidden Norse Gods that last name. I have had family friends with that name and it is one of my darling wife's family names. It is the fifth most common surname in Texas so I figured it was perfect for someone trying to hide their identity.
Then I found out about the New Zealand series about Norse gods titled, "The Almighty Johnson's."   :-\

I am keeping the name, no one who reads my writing is going to believe for a moment that I am ripping folk off, except where I am doing a homage with a twist. Originality is not something that I have trouble with. They may decide that I am crazy, and don't know where to put a comma. They would be correct.
I would rather look stupid today than be stupid tomorrow.

Online Yora

« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2017, 09:32:11 PM »
I had a really cool idea for an alternative concept of multiple worlds of mortal and divine beings. And then Dungeons & Dragons came along with a new edition and completely overhauled the way it treats other worlds of divine beings. The real reason is that even when you craft something new, you're still using the same pool of existing elements that everyone else is using.

I think there's very little risk now of anyone else writing about elven barbarian kings riding dinosaurs. And if anyone does, that's great. The world as a whole will be so much richer for having multiple takes on it.  :P
We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on a big tower of other dwarves.

Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2017, 09:40:13 PM »
@RobertS  Bad luck about the name.  This is an homage to American Gods by Neil Gaiman?
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline RobertS

• Builder
  • Personal Text, isn't that a bit personal?
    • View Profile
    • robertdavidstrawn.com
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2017, 10:33:51 PM »
@RobertS  Bad luck about the name.  This is an homage to American Gods by Neil Gaiman?
Gaiman, to me is one of the driving forces in literature today. Since I have read his work, and loved it, my thoughts on these things are naturally more than just an homage. Gaimen explores things in a way that influences ones shaping of ideas.
Most of my thoughts on this part of the story come from the Prose Edda and Poetic Edda. I like to use original sources or as close as I can get. http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/ice/index.htm Tom Holt, Rodger Zelazny, Wilhelm Wagner and Neil Gaiman are all strong influences though.

Gaiman's gods are evolved from the thoughts of men. In my stories they evolved from geology. While twisting things together, I try to remain true to the original concepts and myths. In many of the myths, the gods were descended from the giants. As were cyclops, ogres, trolls and dwarves. The giants were made by cataclysm and natural forces. Each generation seemed to be less brute force but more evolved. Their children were made by parts of the giants and by the giants will.

My premise is that the Fairytales, myths, religions and legends are all mostly true. The shuffle is figuring out how to put the puzzle together into a coherent whole.  The result is a sort of universal fairy theory.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 10:58:04 PM by RobertS »
I would rather look stupid today than be stupid tomorrow.

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2017, 10:47:05 PM »
Thanks RobertS. Have been enjoying a variety of stories involving old Gods in various urban settings and look forward to yours in due course.
@Lanko The use of the word Serene in various forms  was pretty common in many old  European titles although doubtful if nowadays. You should use whatever you want, regardless of The Goblin Emperor. Been a while since I read it but it left me with impression of an Oriental court at the time anyway. I enjoyed it hope you do as well. ;D
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline Peat

« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2017, 11:31:20 PM »
I had a really cool idea for an alternative concept of multiple worlds of mortal and divine beings. And then Dungeons & Dragons came along with a new edition and completely overhauled the way it treats other worlds of divine beings. The real reason is that even when you craft something new, you're still using the same pool of existing elements that everyone else is using.

I think there's very little risk now of anyone else writing about elven barbarian kings riding dinosaurs. And if anyone does, that's great. The world as a whole will be so much richer for having multiple takes on it.  :P

40K's Exodites. But they never did too much with them and they were a really cool idea, so go wild :D
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2017, 12:53:52 AM »

40K's Exodites. But they never did too much with them and they were a really cool idea, so go wild :D

I can probably also cite the Elves in Magic:The Gathering during two or three blocks (Zendikar and Shards of Alara come to mind). Aside images and flavor texts, at best there are short stories only.

Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019