July 15, 2020, 05:42:43 PM

Author Topic: Super Dialogue Challenge  (Read 5560 times)

Offline professional-liar

Super Dialogue Challenge
« on: January 20, 2011, 02:57:33 AM »
I'm stealing this one from the guys over at writing-excuses, but I think it would be a great exercise.

The rules: Write dialogue with no dialogue tags and no narration. Write it in such a way that we get character, conflict, and setting.

Not a complete story, but let's try for a complete scene. 

Who dares take the Super Dialogue Challenge?
Check out my webcomic-The Venom King www.venomkingcomic.com

Offline Autumn2May

• Word Mage
  • Administrator
  • Khaleesi
  • Does the noise in my head bother you?
    • View Profile
    • The Write Way To Type - Writing Blog
Re: Super Dialogue Challenge
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 03:37:55 AM »
Okay, I'll play. :)  I'm trying to avoid working on my pitch anyway. ;)  I think I understand what you mean, but let me know if this is set up right or not.  This is a conversation that two of my characters might have had in my book, if I'd written this scene. :)

What are you doing down here Mac?

Nothing.

What are you supposed to be doing?

I’m supposed to be giving these wanted posters to the boss.  But I’m avoiding it like the plague.  What are you supposed to be doing Joey?

Exactly what I am doing: checking on you!  Mistress Maggie has been waiting for those posters for over an hour now!  She finally sent me down to find out what was keeping you!

Meh.  I’ll get to it.  It’s not like someone is going to come through the checkpoint in the next two minutes that just happens to have a bounty on them.

Really?  That would be amusing wouldn’t it?  Oh I’m sorry Sir Barret.  We didn’t catch the traitor, because we didn’t have updated posters when they went through.  We only realized they were wanted after they were long gone!  We promise we’ll do better next time!

Oh stuff it!  You just want me to go back up there so Maggie can assign me to the lamest checkpoint we’ve got for the night!  You’re such a bloody brown-nose!

And you are a first class slacker!  If you’d just brought her the posters as soon as they’d come in, you wouldn’t be in trouble in the first place!

That I highly doubt that.  No matter what I do that woman has it out for me!  I think I must have wronged her in a past life or something.

Well, it doesn’t matter either way at this point.  You’re needed upstairs.  I came to find you.  And look, I succeeded.  Now get upstairs before she comes down and kicks both our asses!

Fine.  I’m going.  But I’m telling you, this is all just an evil plot to make my life miserable!

Right, because you’re so important, that Mistress Maggie gives a rat’s ass about whether you are happy or not.  Get going!

I’m going!  I’m going!  I so need to find a better hiding spot…
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 03:14:18 AM by Autumn2May »

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 01:33:50 AM »
That's exactly what I was talking about.  It was good too.  I could easily tell the two characters apart due to their different roles.  I'll be sure to post mine soon, so you're not the only one :)

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 03:24:00 AM »
Okay, here's my go at it.  Everyone please let me know what you think.

“What is the last thing you remember?”

“I..I…I saw the crack in the cannon before it became a weapon against its masters.  It exploded and tore everyone within twenty steps to shreds.”

“That’s not the last thing you remember.  You didn’t die, not there.  Look around.  You’re in a desert.”

“Maybe wit ya dead men do tell a tale, but ain’t very akcrite.”

“Shhh, let it speak.”

“I..I awoke to the silence of corpses and the caws of crows, crows everywhere, feasting.  Men, food for birds.  It’s not right.  I couldn’t.  I wouldn’t let it happen to me.  I stuffed my fiancé’s letters into the coat pocket of a man that no longer had a face.  I stole the first horse that still stood and rode it until it dropped dead.”

“A deserter, him deserves ta git kilt.”

“I didn’t waste a spell to hear your attempts at speech.  Go on, soldier.”

“I was a coward.  I know.  That bothered me most, but I couldn’t go back.  They would hang me.  The things I’ve done to survive.  I hurt people, murdered them, but I always buried them if I could.  I wouldn’t leave them for those damnable birds.”

“How did you get here, to this wasteland?”

“Ya, git to da part ya gits kilt.”

“I was with a man as horrible as me, worse.  Watson, James Watson.  He shot me in the back for my pistol and my last three bullets.  I fell here and before I died I could see them circling, damnable birds.  I reached for my coat pocket where I had kept her letters, but it was empty.  I swear…”

“Ah, why ya go and drop ya stone.  He ‘ad more story ta tell yet.”

“They go on as long as you let them, about regret, about how they would have done it different.  It’s pointless to listen to and we got the name we needed.”

“Why ya cuttin’ off his finger?  Ain’t the birds ate him up enough?”

“If you think I’m leaving behind the trigger finger of a murdered murderer, you’re insane.

“Ya goin’ ta use it fer more necromansy?”

“Necromancy.  It’s called necromancy.”

Offline Autumn2May

• Word Mage
  • Administrator
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 04:10:13 AM »
Very cool!  But I guess no one else wants to play.  Their loss. :P  That was fun!  Good game! :)  Is this part of a story you're writing, or just something you made up for the game?

Offline The Mad Hatter

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 05:05:49 AM »
Very cool!  But I guess no one else wants to play.  Their loss. :P  That was fun!  Good game! :)  Is this part of a story you're writing, or just something you made up for the game?

Haven't been playing because I'm working hard, and I'm getting places.

Wayne aka The Mad Hatter

Offline Overlord

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 05:39:34 AM »
I will join in shortly ;)
Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 06:19:44 AM »

I just made that up for the dialogue challenge.  I tried to use three characters to score some difficulty points :P, but I might get around to turning it into an actual story at some point.

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 06:22:12 AM »

It was a lot of fun, but harder than I thought it would be.

Offline Autumn2May

• Word Mage
  • Administrator
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011, 06:39:30 PM »

I'm holding you to that Overlord. :)

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2015, 09:13:31 AM »

I'm holding you to that Overlord. :)

and still waiting  ;)
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2015, 12:12:18 PM »
@Eclipse, you are an evil man.  ;) ;D
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com