March 30, 2020, 07:40:50 PM

Author Topic: So... what to build houses out of in the far future?  (Read 1749 times)

Offline Summer

Re: So... what to build houses out of in the far future?
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2016, 06:03:57 PM »
I just realized that I've never gone into what the buildings in my space opera setting are made of. I'm no engineer, but I do know that concrete degrades rather quickly compared to, say, stone castles.

I guess I could just say something like "megaconcrete" but I would like to put a little more thought into it.

Despite dipping into writing in the genre, I really do have little experience with space opera. Could someone give me suggestions on futuristic building materials, or what RL scientists predict?

I reckon, in the future, all housing will be underground, just below the surface, to preserve the environment; it'll be some form of graphite, but who cares, make up a name for an element/compound with the properties you need. Oh, and houses will be free - none of this paying a mortgage for half your life nonsense.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2016, 01:17:39 AM »
I doubt houses will ever be underground, unless the environment make it absolutely possible. First off it's a lot of work, to make a hole big enough, and you displace a lot of soil. It's not environmental friendly, unless you're doing a few hobbit houses here and there, and not housing millions of people.
On the other hand, humans love to be flashy and display. Rich people like to build taller than everyone else. People love ancient houses, old architecture.
I don't see humanity ignoring its deepest instinct to impress others through buildings (ahem, *cough* pyramids *cough*), and it wont preserve the environment.

Really preserving the environment would be everyone living in low orbit and people coming down to visit the planet on allocated vacation slots.  :D
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Captain Blobby

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2016, 08:51:32 AM »
I just realized that I've never gone into what the buildings in my space opera setting are made of. I'm no engineer, but I do know that concrete degrades rather quickly compared to, say, stone castles.

I guess I could just say something like "megaconcrete" but I would like to put a little more thought into it.

Despite dipping into writing in the genre, I really do have little experience with space opera. Could someone give me suggestions on futuristic building materials, or what RL scientists predict?

I reckon, in the future, all housing will be underground, just below the surface, to preserve the environment; it'll be some form of graphite, but who cares, make up a name for an element/compound with the properties you need. Oh, and houses will be free - none of this paying a mortgage for half your life nonsense.

I can see military structures being built underground, and they are right now to some extent. With the possibility of kinetic weapons deployed from orbit you would want as much rock between you and it as possible.