October 21, 2020, 06:14:09 AM

Author Topic: Receiving a fan letter and replying?  (Read 549 times)

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
Receiving a fan letter and replying?
« on: August 26, 2020, 01:26:17 PM »

I'm in a facebook group of J.D McDonald fans who wrote the Travis McGee novels someone posted this letter he had

Back in '81 or '82 my late wife got ripped off by some "record producers" in Nashville. The demo tapes she made there were lost. Irretrievable. A big fan, she wrote to ask Travis' help. This is the reply she got.  It hangs on my wall to this day.

Have you written to or had a fan letter from an author?

How would you deal with fan mail?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 01:59:05 PM by ScarletBea »
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline cupiscent

Re: Receiving a fan letter and replying?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2020, 12:21:27 AM »
That is diabolical, and I approve mightily.

I get all embarrassed about the idea of writing a fan letter to a writer I admire. My words seem to do scant justice to their greatness, and I feel like I'm going to waste their time, and I give up on the whole notion. (And yet, I know from my fanfic experience that any feedback, even incoherent typo-ridden "yay good rite moar" feedback was a delight.)

The closest I've come is effusive tweets at authors, and then if they get liked I blush and go hide.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2020, 01:24:59 AM »
I've written a few gushing emails to writers after finishing their books :-[
I cherish their replies :D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline hexa

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2020, 01:45:02 AM »
My middle school language teacher assigned us to write 2 letters: the first to a corporation, the second to a foreign embassy.

For my corporation, I wrote to Domino's Pizza, saying that I liked their mascot The Noid, an intelligent gremlin, and expressing disappointment that they had replaced The Noid with a stupid soulless Dominator.  Domino's Pizza did  not reply to my letter

For my embassy, I wrote to the nation of Guatemala, simply asking for information.  Guatemala sent me a reply!  It was information about their nation.  My friend sent a letter to Costa Rica, and was disappointed when Costa Rica did not send him anything

My middle school teacher retired from her job, and I stopped writing letters, although I did send mail to a famous prison inmate named Reality Winner, who was convicted of espionage.  However, Miss Reality has recently received 4,200 letters, and I don't want to write to her anymore

Offline Ned Marcus

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2020, 03:31:03 AM »
I always reply to fan mail. I can't imagine wanting to ignore it, but I don't receive it every day, so it's very manageable.

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2020, 04:47:25 AM »
Back in my first year of university, when my friends and I had too much time on our hands and stayed up so late playing cards and talking rubbish that many ridiculous notions seemed like excellent ideas, a friend of mine decided his dorm room was going to secede from Australia. He wrote to the United Nations asking for recognition, enclosing detailed maps outlining the territory he was claiming, and including a lollipop as evidence of the production strength of his new nation.

He received a response from some official very gravely outlining their concerns over the size, capacity, dependency and disputed status of his nation state (not to mention said territory being on the third floor of a building) and therefore declining to recognise the nation at present. But thanking him for the lollipop.

Offline hexa

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2020, 05:01:14 AM »
cupiscent, did you get a degree from university?  Are you a doctor of taxidermy?

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2020, 04:32:34 PM »
I wrote a fan letter once. It was to the Wachowskis after watching Cloud Atlas. They sent me this huge signed poster and a letter which was nice, but I wonder if it's just sort of a standard thing sometimes.

I have 2 fan letters I've been in the process of writing for like 6 months but I've sort of been in this rut where everything I do doesn't feel good enough, even (weirdly) fan letters.

I've never gotten any fan letters for fiction of course (since my shit isn't really out there at all) but the positive feedback (I got a comment on Tasfin's Trade when I put it up on my website which was really really nice) is super meaningful. I have no idea how to reply.

Back when I was 23, my first documentary won some awards and was part of two travelling festivals, and I would get emails from random people all over about how they saw the doc in DC or something and it had inspired them to do something or another and that was really meaningful and I never knew what to say to those even though they meant so much, and last time I gave a public speech like a year or two ago a woman wrote me a note about how meaningful what I do is and slipped it to me at the podium after I was done.  I keep it by my desk b/c I found it really touching and I really need that stuff sometimes.

It's so easy to feel like a failure all the time (to be afraid to even put things out there in the first place) when someone tells you that you're not... idk it really leaves you speechless. (well it does me anyway)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 04:34:47 PM by J.R. Darewood »