October 15, 2019, 07:44:35 AM

Author Topic: Real life experiences and non-fiction sources for better worldbuilding  (Read 27704 times)

Online J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
Re: Real life experiences and non-fiction sources for better worldbuilding
« Reply #165 on: December 14, 2016, 07:36:35 AM »
it is by will alone i set my mind in motion.

That quote is from Piter a la Lynch, but I think I'd rather call you "Gilbertus" a la Herbert...

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #166 on: December 14, 2016, 03:28:16 PM »

That quote is from Piter a la Lynch, but I think I'd rather call you "Gilbertus" a la Herbert...

/shakesfist

damn you, bradley!  i just lost an hour to the dune encyclopedia.

because, who wouldn't want to transform into a sandworm and become god-emperor?
http://dune.wikia.com/wiki/Leto_Atreides_II/DE

Online J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #167 on: December 16, 2016, 06:08:44 AM »

/shakesfist

damn you, bradley!  i just lost an hour to the dune encyclopedia.

because, who wouldn't want to transform into a sandworm and become god-emperor?
http://dune.wikia.com/wiki/Leto_Atreides_II/DE

Yeah... I don't know what's worse.  Loosing your genitals or developing the mental deficiency of celebrities (like Tom Cruise who between plowing through everyone around him and having his own religion has reverted to the maturity of a third grader).

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 31, 2016, 02:27:03 AM »
People were taking interest in disabilities recently, and I remembered that great video. It's a couple of married women, from the states I think, one deaf one hearing, giving advices for mixed couples. It's very insightful and shows both sides of the coin. They have a cool channel.

[youtube]Q8mmbuHuPUs[/youtube]
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Yora

« Reply #169 on: April 07, 2018, 12:29:44 PM »
Would you like to understand how it feels to be an apprentice sorcerer, pouring for nights over big dusty tomes to find a long and complex incantation that allows you to do something amazing, followed by hunting further for various obscure references that enable you to understand how the words are uttered? And after years of practice, you are finally starting to see the patterns emerge and know when to add a line that isn't mentioned in the instructions but vital to make the ritual work in your specific circumstances, even while most of it is still completely incomprehensible words you don't have any idea what they are doing.

Try to learn how to install graphics drivers in Linux.  8)

Just look at this mess: https://www.if-not-true-then-false.com/2015/fedora-nvidia-guide/ If you don't already know what all of this means, nothing of it will make any sense of you. But do it long enough, and eventually you will understand what "chmod +x" means and does, and when you might have to use it.

And the magic word is not "abrakadabra" but "reboot". When you use that one, you will see the swirling wirls of magic and wait in anticipatiion as you either get success or disaster.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #170 on: April 07, 2018, 12:57:50 PM »
I’ve decided that your Linux driver manual writing guy developed that entire page as an elaborate joke. Because the alternative is too frightening to contemplate.  :o
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Yora

« Reply #171 on: April 07, 2018, 08:35:54 PM »
It actually worked. Even though I have no idea what "dracut /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r).img $(uname -r)" does. But I typed it in anyway and the computer did not explode.

Though it did get somewhat scary when I rebooted and had to continue the process with nothing but typing text on a black screen because the computer no longer was capable of showing any windows, desktop, or mouse pointer.

Spoiler for Hiden:

For when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

But I realized that this was because I had given the computer the instruction to remove the necessary files and this is actually exactly what should be happening in that situation. So I continued to follow the instructions with confidence that I wouldn't have to spend my whole weekend rebuilding the whole computer from scratch.

The computer still doesn't do what I originally wanted it to do, but I feel quite certain that I actually made a significant step to getting there.  :P