March 20, 2019, 05:51:28 PM

Author Topic: Race Drawings  (Read 8363 times)

Offline Phoenix

Race Drawings
« on: March 01, 2016, 04:03:30 PM »
I can't find the thread I spoke about drawing my races for reference, so i'll just post them here.
Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Do you like? :P
"My death shall spark a war, and from the ashes of the battlefield I shall be reborn"

Offline Yora

Re: Race Drawings
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 04:05:49 PM »
Nice...
Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor

There is nothing to read!

Offline ArhiX

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 04:35:32 PM »

The one with the wolf is my favourite.
"The world is full of stories, and from time to time, they permit themselves to be told."

Offline NinjaRaptor

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 04:45:02 PM »
I especially like the first lion-like one with the short, scruffy mane. :)
NEW self-published anthology:
Dinosaurs & Dames

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 04:48:33 PM »
indeed!  those are marvelous -- you're very talented.

and, if you don't mind, aside from comments on the races themselves, i've got some thoughts you can take or leave on your art in general.  so, feel free to discard anything that you think is silly.
Spoiler for Hiden:

the things you do really well are hands (man they're hard!), non-straight-on faces, proportions, and anatomy in general.  you're fantastic at those.  i also suspect you're pretty good at clothing and accessories, tho there's not much here to go on in these sketches.

your lines are pretty clean and confident -- well done!  that's really hard to do.  that being said, i'd work more on line weight.  it'll add interest and cut down on the weird homogeny you are seeing, but can't quite put your finger on what it is.  it's line weight.

also, working on more dynamic posing would be beneficial to you, i think.  i've always been a huge fan of bart sears and his "drawing powerful comics" series.  it's fab.  it may be hard to find some of those old tutorials, but i'm sure there's a corollary online somewhere.  basically, start where you think you need to be, then exaggerate it another 50%.

finally, environments -- man, they're my buggaboo.  personally, i can't get excited to do them, so i rush it and they look crappy.  there's not a lot of example here, but i wanted to point out how important it is.

all that being said, if you can conquer figures AND environments, you can basically get freelance illustrator employment anywhere.  (from $30 to $120 an hour)  especially if you're fast.  (so work on your speed too!)

so, yeah.  like i said, ignore all of that if you want, but i think your stuff is really good, bordering on great!  keep up the good work and post more of this!

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 05:25:13 PM »
I like the rat-man the best.

@Dragonbane... did I mention I want goat/ram-people?
 ;) (In-joke with a long history)
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline night_wrtr

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 05:28:32 PM »
Awesome! The first one looks badass.

Offline Phoenix

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 06:28:32 PM »
I like the rat-man the best.

@Dragonbane... did I mention I want goat/ram-people?
 ;) (In-joke with a long history)
thank you for the idea :P...
"My death shall spark a war, and from the ashes of the battlefield I shall be reborn"

Offline Phoenix

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 06:31:01 PM »
indeed!  those are marvelous -- you're very talented.

and, if you don't mind, aside from comments on the races themselves, i've got some thoughts you can take or leave on your art in general.  so, feel free to discard anything that you think is silly.
Spoiler for Hiden:

the things you do really well are hands (man they're hard!), non-straight-on faces, proportions, and anatomy in general.  you're fantastic at those.  i also suspect you're pretty good at clothing and accessories, tho there's not much here to go on in these sketches.

your lines are pretty clean and confident -- well done!  that's really hard to do.  that being said, i'd work more on line weight.  it'll add interest and cut down on the weird homogeny you are seeing, but can't quite put your finger on what it is.  it's line weight.

also, working on more dynamic posing would be beneficial to you, i think.  i've always been a huge fan of bart sears and his "drawing powerful comics" series.  it's fab.  it may be hard to find some of those old tutorials, but i'm sure there's a corollary online somewhere.  basically, start where you think you need to be, then exaggerate it another 50%.

finally, environments -- man, they're my buggaboo.  personally, i can't get excited to do them, so i rush it and they look crappy.  there's not a lot of example here, but i wanted to point out how important it is.

all that being said, if you can conquer figures AND environments, you can basically get freelance illustrator employment anywhere.  (from $30 to $120 an hour)  especially if you're fast.  (so work on your speed too!)

so, yeah.  like i said, ignore all of that if you want, but i think your stuff is really good, bordering on great!  keep up the good work and post more of this!
thank you, but...I just drew the pictures for reference, and they're not even that good really

Offline Phoenix

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2016, 06:39:01 PM »
The first one is a Leonin called Umari 'The Hunter'

And in case your wondering, here's a basic history of him:
-Like all Leonin who come of age(they age faster so it's around 12) he fought a Hell Knight, won and got the scar(on his chest) to prove it.
-Personality wise, he's quiet, withdrawn, cunning, unpredictable, and lethal
-He was banished a few years after he came of age because he killed the son of King Lyran(king of the leonin)
-He was tortured by Erinye 'The Executioner'(who yanked out all of his claws on his left hand(paw?))<---(wears special rings with points on them that resemble claws), he was also forced to watch him(Erinye) kill his wife and son.

Offline Blackthorn

Race Drawings
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2016, 07:18:24 PM »
Those are really great drawings,  and even the characters background is a pretty good starting point.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Online Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2016, 09:11:49 PM »
These are very neat, the second lion being my favourite :) I think @m3mnoch has given you some very good advice, so that you can make the most of this talent.
https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline SugoiMe

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2016, 01:54:29 AM »
Wow, those are really good!  Really like the second lion, too, as it has the crispest lines (probably due to image quality).  Would love to see these in colour or inked.
"And then the time came when the risk it took to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anais Nin

Offline Blackthorn

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2016, 02:41:11 AM »
Wow, those are really good!  Really like the second lion, too, as it has the crispest lines (probably due to image quality).  Would love to see these in colour or inked.
I agree colour would work wonders, but really they're already good enough to make me envious. If you write as well as you draw you are sure to have success in the future.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Offline Phoenix

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2016, 03:44:23 PM »

I'll color them and if they come out good, i'll repost them here(with some new drawings :P)

Also anyone who has drawings they've done, feel free to post them on this thread.

P.S please request things for me to draw and post  :)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 03:49:27 PM by Dragonbane »