January 28, 2020, 01:29:54 PM

Author Topic: Plot Choice  (Read 5706 times)

Offline Dan D Jones

Re: Plot Choice
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2013, 08:59:07 PM »
Don't write a novel. Writing a novel is a massive investment of time which can be utterly futile if you've made some horrendous error right at the start.

I don't necessarily disagree with this, but it really depends on the writer.  I think writing what you find inspiring is most important; even if writing short stories is technically a better route, if you find it boring it won't help.  And the skill-sets are pretty different once you get into it -- you don't really do a lot of world development for short stories, for example.

That said, I think the right mentality is to accept that your first novel is not going to be good for much other than laughing over twenty years from now.  If you get to the point where you've recognized some major flaw, stop, and start writing something else.  Remember, nothing says you can't steal characters, world elements, or plot details from your own unfinished pieces, so if you came up with something cool you can reuse it later in a better work.

Fully agree.  Hemingway said something to the effect that the first million words you write are going to be crap.  That can be awfully discouraging if you're just starting and it's probably a bit of an exaggeration but the only way you're going to learn to write a novel is to write a couple of bad ones.  Yes, it's a lot of work but it isn't wasted work, even if not a word of it ever sees the light of day.  It's the price of learning to write.  Writing is a labor of love, but it's definitely labor.

Offline Wizard Police

Re: Plot Choice
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2013, 10:05:39 PM »
Do my crappy essays throughout school count towards my crappy first million words? ;)