October 29, 2020, 10:45:26 PM

Author Topic: Plot Choice  (Read 6123 times)

Offline DavidTheGreat

Plot Choice
« on: May 06, 2013, 09:10:19 PM »
H Fellow Fantasy-Fans

I am new to this site and looking to write my first novel. I currently have 4 plots outlines, nothing too major at the moment, but I would love your opinions on which one you would like to read if you saw them in a shop...Please feel free to say non if they are rubbish.

Plot1
A boy sent through a portal to another world  for safety is tracked down 15 years later and returned when his magical gifts is the only thing that could stand up against the rising dark power that threatens to destroy his people.

Plot2
Dragons, once the guardians of the land and council to the Elders that rule, are now almost extinct. Hunted down when one of their own betrayed the kingdom and brought a great evil that now plagues the land. Dalgore, one surviving dragon must find and defeat the betrayer in the hope that it will save his kind from death.

Plot3
When the Guardians of the Elements are all killed by Seth, Guardian of Death, Areal, the only surviving apprentice must learn the power they once wielded. Areal must defeat both Seth and Death in order to restore balance before its too late. (Inspired by a game)

Plot4
A powerful kingdom must protect its people from a demonic army intent on taking this land for their own. A small group made up of unlikely heroes, travels in hope of finding the demonic King and destroying him. But will they send his army back to the underworld, or will one of them take the advantage?

Thanks for taking the time to read my first post. I really do look forward to hearing your thoughts.

David

If fantasy is to think imaginatively, then I must live in fantasy all the time!
David

Offline Francis Knight

Re: Plot Choice
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 09:25:17 PM »
They aren't my kind of thing (nothing about the quality -- just not the sort of fantasy I tend to read)

Which one excites you the most? Write that.

My tongue has been in my cheek for so long, I've eroded a new mouth.

Duellists Trilogy (as Julia Knight) coming soon from Orbit!

http://www.juliaknight.co.uk/

Offline Jeni

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 10:02:12 PM »
What about the lad from plot 1 teaming up with the group from plot 4 to find the demonic king who they discover is also the betrayer from plot 2 when they team up with Dalgore.

Not so keen on plot 3.

;D

Offline DavidTheGreat

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 10:08:17 PM »
Thanks that sounds like a great idea. A good start for some sub plots.

Thanks
David

Offline DjangoWexler

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 10:21:02 PM »
It's hard to say from such brief summaries -- when reduced to a sentence or two, almost anything sounds sort of banal.  ("Hobbit carries ring on dangerous journey to defeat Dark Lord bent on destruction.  Yawn.")  Try this -- before committing to one or the other, try expanding them out into small outlines of the whole story, maybe a page or two.  That should give you a decent idea of which one is most interesting for YOU, at least, and that's the most important thing!

Also, you could try writing up a description of who the main characters are for each one.  Not just what they do, dragon, apprentice, soldier, or whatnot, but what kind of person they are, how they behave, how they feel about each other, etc.  You can discover a lot of neat things in the process.
The Thousand Names -- released July 2!
http://djangowexler.com/book-info/

Offline DavidTheGreat

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 10:31:20 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I will do just that.
David

Offline Wizard Police

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 04:13:14 AM »
Like suggested before you know what I do when I have a bunch of ideas? I throw them in a pot all together. My current story is made up of two major stories that I was working on at the same time. I felt that each of them individually were lacking and I needed to spruce it up, so I combined them and suddenly ideas were popping up out of nowhere. And as I kept on writing it I was throwing more story ideas into the mix and it kept on growing and growing and growing.

Like lemme tinker with your plot ideas; Areal, the last of his kind, is sent to another dimension by Dalgore when the betrayer unleashed Seth and Death unto the kingdom. Dalgore chooses the exact dimension that will make him into the required leader to save the world. 15 years later the Demonic King decides to take over the kingdom from Seth and Death and the betrayer, and despite not being ready Dalgore retrieves Areal back into the current dimension anyways and rushes his development.

Or something like that, this one is kind of messy.

Offline wolfking

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 01:51:19 PM »
I like 4 out of the bunch.

Offline DavidTheGreat

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 08:43:06 PM »
Thanks for all your advice. I will begin the task of revising and combining them now.
David

Offline Dan D Jones

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 03:37:19 PM »
Write what inspires you.  Plot almost never carries a book.  What carries it is execution.  If this is your first book, then the chances are that the execution will be so-so - at best.  That's not a criticism of you or a discouragement.  It's what history shows us is usually the truth.  Very, very few writers ever sell their first book.  Writing a book is something that you learn by doing.  So get to doing.  Start writing.  It doesn't matter which plot you pick.  Just pick one and start writing.

Offline AnneLyle

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 03:48:55 PM »
They aren't my kind of thing (nothing about the quality -- just not the sort of fantasy I tend to read)

Which one excites you the most? Write that.

This. Choose the one you like, and dig into it some more. Develop your hero and your villain, and then come up with some events that move their conflict along.

I find that what sparks my imagination is the characters, and they don't really come alive for me until I'm writing about them doing stuff and talking to one another. A novel is a long, long slog, so you're going to need some fun, interesting company along the way :)
Elizabethan fantasy trilogy The Alchemist of SoulsThe Merchant of Dreams and The Prince of Lies out now from Angry Robot Books!

Offline Ashes

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2013, 05:13:45 PM »
Plot 4 seems like an interesting one. Plot 3 aswell, as long as it doesn't read like some free fanfic of the game that inspired it. First two didn't interest me at all.
That being said, the first two could be brilliant if they were discribed in a better way. Like a real book blurb.
Plot 4 sounds like one I would try.
“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the persuit of evil.” David Gemmell

Offline DavidTheGreat

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2013, 08:43:45 PM »
Thank you for your advice, all of you. I have a lot to do!
David

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2013, 08:00:40 PM »
I know that this is probably not the most popular opinion around, and I'm also aware that the skill sets are slightly different but (for whatever it's worth) here's my opinion:

Don't write a novel. Writing a novel is a massive investment of time which can be utterly futile if you've made some horrendous error right at the start.

Write your idea as a short story. Or take some portion of it that could be considered a fairly self-contained prologue and write that. When you're done, read it. Then read it again. Then read it aloud. If you aren't making changes every time you read it, either you're the author of the next "To Kill a Mockingbird", or you're missing something. Then give it to a friend or family member to read. Think about their comments and maybe change it again. See if you can persuade them to read the edited version (assuming there is one). Put it up here in the "work to be critiqued" section. Then read all the comments as dispassionately as possible. Then rewrite it. Then save it somewhere, and start again on a new story/plot/idea. Do it all again.

Before you invest the amount of time, effort, love and heartbreak required to write a novel, learn to write good, compelling narrative. Learn how to write believable characters that people will engage with. Learn how to write a world. Then write your novel.

Offline DjangoWexler

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2013, 11:33:57 PM »
Don't write a novel. Writing a novel is a massive investment of time which can be utterly futile if you've made some horrendous error right at the start.

I don't necessarily disagree with this, but it really depends on the writer.  I think writing what you find inspiring is most important; even if writing short stories is technically a better route, if you find it boring it won't help.  And the skill-sets are pretty different once you get into it -- you don't really do a lot of world development for short stories, for example.

That said, I think the right mentality is to accept that your first novel is not going to be good for much other than laughing over twenty years from now.  If you get to the point where you've recognized some major flaw, stop, and start writing something else.  Remember, nothing says you can't steal characters, world elements, or plot details from your own unfinished pieces, so if you came up with something cool you can reuse it later in a better work.
The Thousand Names -- released July 2!
http://djangowexler.com/book-info/