July 16, 2018, 05:37:55 PM

Author Topic: One Sentence writing advice  (Read 7679 times)

Offline RussetDivinity

Re: One Sentence writing advice
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2015, 05:07:49 AM »
Don't be afraid to have side projects.

(Really, this is probably the only reason I don't get burnt out, though it also takes me a lot longer to finish things than I might otherwise.)

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2015, 01:59:09 AM »
Don't bore the reader.

Don't confuse the reader.

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2015, 03:30:47 AM »
Your flowery language will only confuse the reader (and yourself), not paint a witty commentary about something.

Yeah, I can make up some of the craziest similes that, at the very least, make sense to myself. Sometimes.
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2015, 05:40:26 AM »
Inertia is your friend, and your enemy.

This is, when you get in the habit of writing, it's easy to keep writing, but when you stop, it can get really hard to get going again.

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2015, 06:57:01 AM »
A reader's plea- Please cut down on adverbs and adjectives, choose one that is perfect.
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2015, 08:44:57 AM »
When struggling to edit a clunky piece of writing, read it aloud and it will help to iron out problems.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2015, 03:24:45 PM »
When struggling to edit a clunky piece of writing, read it aloud and it will help to iron out problems.

I've been told that having it read to you by someone else is even better. Haven't tried it yet, but I love reading my stuff aloud to check out my prose.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2015, 03:26:08 PM »

I've been told that having it read to you by someone else is even better. Haven't tried it yet, but I love reading my stuff aloud to check out my prose.

I like the "someone else" in addition. When I read it aloud, I do hear the problems; but my audience doesn't. It goes by too fast, and I'm a passionate reader. Would probably help them give better advice if they read aloud.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2015, 04:01:53 PM »

I like the "someone else" in addition. When I read it aloud, I do hear the problems; but my audience doesn't. It goes by too fast, and I'm a passionate reader. Would probably help them give better advice if they read aloud.

Problem is when you go to do some writing in a coffee shop/quiet pub or something and sit there muttering to yourself - "Oh, it's just a crazy writer."
:p

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2015, 04:10:15 PM »

Problem is when you go to do some writing in a coffee shop/quiet pub or something and sit there muttering to yourself - "Oh, it's just a crazy writer."
:p
Just pretend you're on the phone? :D

I do think it's funny that throughout history, speaking to yourself would be seen as a sign of insanity, whereas nowadays it's almost a status symbol.  :P
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Yora

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2015, 06:00:55 PM »
Sorry to break this to you, but we still think those people are crazy.  ;)

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2015, 06:36:51 PM »
Sorry to break this to you, but we still think those people are crazy.  ;)
Oh...  :-[
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Yora

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2015, 07:45:12 PM »
"Hemingway had never been known to use a word that might send the reader to the dictionary."

It wasn't meant as advice in any way, but it should be.

Offline Idlewilder

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2015, 10:25:26 AM »
Write every day and, most importantly, finish what you started.
Make Another World.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2015, 11:10:16 AM »
finish what you started.
No! Not that!  :o  Please, oh gods, not that...
[falls weeping into a puddle on the writing room floor]
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)