October 15, 2019, 05:10:03 AM

Author Topic: One Sentence writing advice  (Read 11221 times)

Offline Yora

One Sentence writing advice
« on: May 13, 2015, 10:42:15 PM »
Throw in anything you have which you think might be useful to think about for other writers. Discussing the thoughts is encouraged and it can be much more than on sentence. (And even those pieces of advice you have don't have to be exactly one sentence, just short and to the point.

When you write down ideas for a scene or a story, don't just write down the specific elements it includes, but also the meaning you want to express with it, and perhaps whatever inspired you.

I just remembered to write down an idea I had weeks ago, but even though I remember the characters and key scenes, I don't hav the slightest idea why it would be interesting. I am pretty sure it was inspired by a movie scene or something, but not remembering which one I have no idea what the motiavtion and meaning of it all was.  :-\

Offline Francis Knight

Re: One Sentence writing advice
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 12:17:09 AM »
Persistence > everything else

(is I can add another sentence, IF you are willing to learn)
My tongue has been in my cheek for so long, I've eroded a new mouth.

Duellists Trilogy (as Julia Knight) coming soon from Orbit!

http://www.juliaknight.co.uk/

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 01:36:52 AM »
If ultimately you're not enjoying yourself despite the eventual hardships, then you're doing it wrong. (Which is also a broad life rule for me)
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 02:04:05 AM »
Figure out what you want to do, and then do it as hard as you can.

Offline jefGoelz

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 05:45:17 AM »
Read much more than you write and read broadly within and outside your genre.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 03:30:37 PM »
There are easier ways to lose your sanity.

Offline night_wrtr

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 04:12:40 AM »
Fight through the fear and the headaches to finish what you started.

Offline K.S. Crooks

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2015, 04:02:25 AM »
Know where you want the characters to be, both mentally and physically at the end of the story.
K.S. Crooks- Author
www.kscrooks.com

Offline Lu Kudzoza

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2015, 05:58:30 PM »
Characters must be true to themselves.

Offline Yora

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2015, 06:28:05 PM »
That seems to require some more elaboration. As someone who does not know what "staying true to himself" means, what do you think I should know or look out for.

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2015, 06:38:47 PM »
That seems to require some more elaboration. As someone who does not know what "staying true to himself" means, what do you think I should know or look out for.
The idiom "true to yourself" in general means behaving according to your beliefs and doing what you think is right. When it comes to fictional characters, I'd assume it has a slightly larger scope, so rather than specifically beliefs and concept of justice, they should behave in a consistent manner that always reflects some part of their personality.
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Lu Kudzoza

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2015, 06:55:47 PM »
The idiom "true to yourself" in general means behaving according to your beliefs and doing what you think is right. When it comes to fictional characters, I'd assume it has a slightly larger scope, so rather than specifically beliefs and concept of justice, they should behave in a consistent manner that always reflects some part of their personality.

I pretty much meant just what Yora said, "behaving according to your beliefs and doing what you think is right."

Each character should have his/her own set of beliefs, influences, back story, etc. that makes them who they are. The way they respond to different situations should be based on who they are as a person. What I often see is an author who needs something to happen to advance the story, but the "something" is totally out of character for the person involved. For example, the sidekick who always acts as a leveling influence to the hero suddenly loses his temper over something insignificant then storms off into the wilderness so the hero has a chance to face some monster by himself.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 06:59:49 PM by Not Lu »

Offline wakarimasen

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Builder
  • Currently suffering multiple story disorder...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2015, 10:10:11 AM »
Edit, edit, edit.

It's something I don't do! but I'm down with the old phrase "The only thing you can do with good advice is pass it on."

Offline jefGoelz

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2015, 03:46:04 AM »

I pretty much meant just what Yora said, "behaving according to your beliefs and doing what you think is right."

Each character should have his/her own set of beliefs, influences, back story, etc. that makes them who they are. The way they respond to different situations should be based on who they are as a person. What I often see is an author who needs something to happen to advance the story, but the "something" is totally out of character for the person involved. For example, the sidekick who always acts as a leveling influence to the hero suddenly loses his temper over something insignificant then storms off into the wilderness so the hero has a chance to face some monster by himself.

Real people do things that seem unreasonable to an observer all the time.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2015, 04:28:20 AM »

Real people do things that seem unreasonable to an observer all the time.
;
Yeah, fair enough, but that doesn't make the point moot. A Muslim can drink alcohol IRL. That's a reflection on religion, how religious you are, and how real life practices can sneak past a half shameful, half sheepish muslim wine amateur...
Now a character who is described as a vehement feminist and goes about the country side raping and making broad "women" generalisation, that's pretty problematic.
Believe it or not though, that happened to me, when I indulged in a self published vampire story, called "Here there be sexist vampire" or somesuch. It was pretty bad. Inconsistent writing, bad story, cliche characters, poorly written, ect, but the worst was that it was supposed to be all about that super gifted woman vamp showing the big sexist man vamp that women can kick it... and all the while she couldn't resist being totally enamoured and attracted by the big macho vamp, loving being exasperated by his statements, getting rescued, and totally indulging the men's macho behaviour. The massive inconsistencies in that character was an immediate turn off, and the novel was finished only because it was short.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 03:22:13 PM by Nora »
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty