July 21, 2019, 10:03:24 AM

Author Topic: New Writing Group forming!  (Read 858 times)

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
New Writing Group forming!
« on: November 24, 2016, 12:47:15 AM »
Greetings and Happy Holidays,

I am looking for a writing partner or two to start a small writing group that will operate for approx. 90 days, from the beginning of January to the end of March. Details can be worked out, but the atmosphere will be energized, positive, and encouraging.

This invitation is for all members, whether highly vocal and active, or quiet lurkers. If you're engaged in a long-fiction project, or about to be, at whatever stage, and you're looking for a partner or small group, I hope you'll reach out. I would welcome someone engaged in revision or a re-tool just as enthusiastically as someone on page 3, or page 103.

You can find a variety of samples of my writing in the "Work to be critiqued" section, as well as many examples of my critiques of others' projects and samples. I have led writing groups before in the far more carnivorous environment of business proposals, and should be able to provide a framework that gets the biggest bang for your time and energy. The goal is not to establish a time-suck in your calendar, but to provide a collaborative space that saves you time and enables your progress.

PM me if you’re interested to discuss. We can work out how we want to work, and from my view, everything is flexible. In fact, the only thing that is not flexible is the atmosphere, which I want very much to be positive and balanced. We come together to get energy and encouragement, not to be picked apart or criticized. In short, I want to work in the same mood and tone that we enjoy on this forum, but focused on our respective projects: candor balanced with respect.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Otto Von Chriek

Re: New Writing Group forming!
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 04:05:02 AM »
Sorry PM's not working... It sounds like fun can I join up?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 04:26:40 AM by The Elenium »

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 04:39:31 AM »
Sorry PM's not working... It sounds like fun can I join up?

It says it's not working, but in fact it is- just another of the little idiosyncracies around here. It's been happening a few weeks and is being worked on,

So, when you post a PM and then it comes up with that message ignore it, go to refresh and then home again and if you go back into your sent messages you will usually find it is there. If you sent toGem cutter earlier, have alook in messages now..

Also should warn all newcomers, sometimes you can lose a huge post by accident between preview and post because you may have run out of logged on time.  Make sure you get rid of the 60 min limit in log on box, if you ever actually log off, that limit comes back automatically.

If your post is long, highlight and copy before you preview or post so it is safe in case you have to log back in and start again.

ETA  It's not Chrome, I always use it, but if it says the site is down rather than posting errors, it probably is. It may be having work done by our US admin so allowing for time differences give it an hour or so and try again
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 04:42:20 AM by Lady_Ty »
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline SJBudd

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Godling
    • View Profile
    • SJBUDD
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2016, 07:16:45 PM »
Ooh yes well up for joining a writing group. Had a lot of fun in the last one back in January.

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2016, 08:42:24 PM »
I'm applying too.

My WIPs are in a standstill for months. Maybe regular discussions of stories and the craft is what I need to return to regular writing. Only saving grace have been a few bursts here and there and the monthly contests.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019