May 29, 2020, 01:24:13 AM

Poll

I need a word for the substance that is the source of magic. Vote for 3!

Spirit(s)
2 (7.7%)
Vita
6 (23.1%)
Etheren
1 (3.8%)
Pneuma
3 (11.5%)
Numen
4 (15.4%)
Illumen
1 (3.8%)
Majik
1 (3.8%)
Anim
3 (11.5%)
Your own suggestion (enter below)
5 (19.2%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: April 12, 2020, 12:10:30 PM

Author Topic: Need a solid word for my Gin & Magic stories  (Read 721 times)

Offline Ray McCarthy

Re: Need a solid word for my Gin & Magic stories
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2020, 10:01:06 AM »
Flicker is the word that keeps coming up in my head. It’s frustratingly insubstantial and fleeting, just like trying to grab hold of magic can be, and it seems to be a word that people know and fits within the time frame comfortably.
And Flickheads works?

Flicker is good.
My Blogs & Books. Available via Amazon, Apple, Barnes&Noble, Kobo, Tolino and Smashwords.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2020, 10:31:41 AM »
Flicker is the word that keeps coming up in my head. It’s frustratingly insubstantial and fleeting, just like trying to grab hold of magic can be, and it seems to be a word that people know and fits within the time frame comfortably.
And Flickheads works?

Flicker is good.

Ooooh Flicker and Flickheads! My favourite so far :D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2020, 12:03:10 PM »
I think @Elfy gets the gold banana, and @Ray McCarthy wins the silver pear.
Flicker is great as the common word, and all the snooty magical practitioners will call it quintessence and related terms.

Ray’s comment  about rules (but don’t tell them!) has my brain working down that path. All the work I’ve done on this story has pretty much avoided how people can use magic; focusing instead on crazy ideas for how magic modifies reality randomly. And while I can enjoy Sandersonian magic systems, I relate personally to magic that just is.

Thank you, everyone!

Oh, one more thing. One of the words in the poll is what I’ve using in the story drafts for several years. It’s fine, but it didn’t feel good enough. That word was:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Vita
Anyone who voted for that word gets a brass kumquat.   ;D

I’m going to do a quick re-write of the current story and see how the change works.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline isos81

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2020, 09:12:23 PM »
How about Astra?
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Online cupiscent

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2020, 01:01:31 AM »
Oh, one more thing. One of the words in the poll is what I’ve using in the story drafts for several years. It’s fine, but it didn’t feel good enough. That word was...
AHAHAHA. So, I voted for that one, and here's why: aqua vitae is an old-skool alchemical concept (water of life!) and aquavit is a sort of booze. (I mean, technically, aqua vitae is a sort of booze too, it's just probably the sort that makes you blind rather than drunk.) So, for me, "vita" has both high-brow and low-brow connotations that seem to suit your scenario. (PLUS: it sort of sounds like a 1920s girl's name, which gives the option of people "going to see Vita" or "spending all their time with Vita" as euphemisms for... I don't know what, but it seems amusing.)

BUT if it doesn't work for you, then it doesn't work. Go with something that does. :D

Offline Bender

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2020, 02:38:39 AM »
How about Astra?

Means weapon in Hindu mythology.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline Bender

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2020, 02:40:26 AM »
The modern English word "spirit" comes from the Latin spiritus, but also "spirit, soul, courage, vigor", ultimately from a Proto-Indo-European *(s)peis.

Use speis.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline Ray McCarthy

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2020, 08:49:50 AM »
(I mean, technically, aqua vitae is a sort of booze too, it's just probably the sort that makes you blind rather than drunk.)
Whiskey and Whisky are simply anglicising uisce na beatha, literally Water of Life. The oldest Gaelic word in English.
The Irish for Ireland is Éire, so that's how you remember Whiskey is the Irish one. Scotch and all others are Whisky.

Obviously it should be taken moderately.
My Blogs & Books. Available via Amazon, Apple, Barnes&Noble, Kobo, Tolino and Smashwords.

Offline isos81

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2020, 08:59:58 AM »
How about Astra?

Means weapon in Hindu mythology.

That kinda makes sense since magic can be used as a weapon :) I got it from Opel Astra ;D
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline Ray McCarthy

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2020, 09:52:16 AM »
That kinda makes sense since magic can be used as a weapon :) I got it from Opel Astra ;D
Usually from the Latin for star in the West.