July 10, 2020, 02:18:05 PM

Author Topic: Nation Novel Writing Month is here!  (Read 7414 times)

Offline Tiffany Kysis Tackett

Nation Novel Writing Month is here!
« on: October 08, 2011, 09:34:15 PM »
National Novel Writing Month (better known as NaNoWriMo) is an event that takes place every November, and thousands of novelists sit down to undertake the ultimate challenge of literary abandon: writing 50,000 words of a novel, a single novel, in a mere 30 days.

Here are the basics!

Who: you!  And 200,000+ other writers all over the world!
What: A 50,000 word novel of fiction, any genre you want, in first or third person point of view.
When: November!  You have from 12:00:01, midnight, of November first until 11:59:59, midnight, of November 30th to write the words.
Where: Everywhere!  There are tons of regions all around the world, most of which are run by Municipal Liaisons (they organize local events and bring goodies for participants, and generally cheerlead everyone on to their goals), and on the website, all you have to do is affiliate with your region to see all the events they have planed.
Why: So you can finish that pesky first draft of a novel.  So that you are no longer one of those writers who says "one day, I'll write a novel".  So you can meet lots of other writers in your area.  Whatever your reason, there are monkey barrels of fun in store for you in November!

I'm just now posting this notice because NaNoWriMo is getting ready to roll out a brand new site, with all sorts of shiny, new features!  This new site should be up on Monday (US Pacific Time), which means lots of late nights for the staff, but we hope to get it all done!

Right about now is the time to start planning for your November novel, if you are going to participate.  You don't have to plan at all, but if you like getting some character and plot details done before writing, now's the time to do it! (two years I did absolutely no planning and only decided what kind of book I was going to write a few days before the start of November... and once right when the midnight bell went off; my third year I did tons of planning; all three attempts, I reached over 50k, so both methods really do work)

Go ahead and put up your profile link!  We'll be able to cheer each other on from afar, since we aren't likely to end up in the same region: http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/kysis
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 11:29:13 AM by Overlord »

Offline Overlord

Re: Nation Novel Writing Month is almost here!
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 06:40:27 PM »
I will be joining in :D
Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering

Offline EatthePen

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 11:08:03 PM »
I'm in for my second time this year, and can't wait. I saw a warning on the site that changes to profiles made this weekend might not commute to the new site, but I'll bung up a link to my profile when the new site's up.

EDIT: here: http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/eatthepen
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 01:58:45 PM by EatthePen »
How about a free short story? You like free stuff, don't you?
I Can See Clearly Now (episode 1 of The Second Realm): Rel can see any future except his own.

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 03:12:38 AM »
The site wipe, getting rid of all the stuff from last year, and the launch of the new site, should all be happening soon.  Apparently the bug-finding is still going on, but the dedicated team of bug-catchers is powering their way through the new site.   Hopefully, we are still on for launch tomorrow, though it might not happen.  I've got my fingers crossed.

They are trying to keep all of the links the same, but some just will not migrate.  I'm hoping my profile link remains the same.

I'm glad you guys are joining in!  Oh, and it's easier not think of the 50k word goal.  Think of it as 1667 words a day.  It's easier that way. XD  For 80k it's 2667 words a day, which is what I was shooting for last year.  My start was a bit bumpy and my last week, I was KO'd by food poisoning, but I still managed 68k in the 30 days.  The two years before that I screeched in with 50k right before midnight.

It's sooooo much fun.

Offline AnneLyle

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 06:55:45 AM »
Count me in - I've been involved with NaNoWriMo since 2006, when I drafted what eventually became The Alchemist of Souls :)

I shall be doing an "unofficial" Nano this year - I need to finish the current draft of The Merchant of Dreams before I can think about starting the final installment of the trilogy, but we have a very active group here in Cambridge so I intend to take advantage of the Nano buzz to get me motivated!

http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/anne_lyle/
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 07:37:14 PM by AnneLyle »
Elizabethan fantasy trilogy The Alchemist of SoulsThe Merchant of Dreams and The Prince of Lies out now from Angry Robot Books!

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 03:43:04 PM »
Just so everyone knows, a lot of the links have changed with the launch of the brand new website (whoo-hoo Ruby Rails!), so here is my updated page url: http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/kysis

The new site looks awesome!  There are still a lot of kinks, but hopefully, those will all be fixed before November.

Offline AnneLyle

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 07:37:41 PM »
Thanks for the reminder, Kysis - I've edited my link.
Elizabethan fantasy trilogy The Alchemist of SoulsThe Merchant of Dreams and The Prince of Lies out now from Angry Robot Books!

Offline elloise

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2011, 06:29:24 PM »
Well I've signed up. Will be absorbing all the encouragement I can get!
Good luck everyone.
Elloise Hopkins.

Offline DrMclony

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 08:48:04 AM »
One of these years I will take part in this :)

This year of course, I am flat out with the editing and formatting and proofing of my third novel, followed by the compilation of an anthology of short stories and novellas, and a new revised edit of my first novel now that I have more experience and a better editor at my disposal than the one I was using then. Add a nine to five (soon changing from a 9-6 lol) and there isn't really much chance to get one in there! lol.

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 03:38:40 PM »
Well, good luck with everything.  Hopefully you'll get a chance to do it next year.  Last year I was working at a restaurant, going to university full time, running a writing group, and volunteering with a few organizations.  I managed it, but it was difficult, I won't lie.  I'm one of those people who goes into overdrive mode when a crazy schedule is presented to me, so NaNoWriMo is kind of perfect. *shrug*

Offline MTMaenpaa

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2011, 06:19:10 PM »
I'm thinking about doing NaNo this year, if only as an opportunity to reboot the draft of this novel I've been slaving over.  Last year's was super helpful and I had a blast.  Just need to find a new group, now that I've relocated again.
Foodie, Chef, Writer, Reader, Father, Geek

http://laughingcook.wordpress.com/

Offline WizardofWestmarch

• Half a King
  • Awesomeness at a Mile High
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2011, 05:50:43 AM »
I'm thinking about doing NaNo this year, if only as an opportunity to reboot the draft of this novel I've been slaving over.  Last year's was super helpful and I had a blast.  Just need to find a new group, now that I've relocated again.

I can't speak for the more northern parts of CO, but Denver has a super active community, and I'd be surprised if Boulder is any less so. I'd just recommend hitting up the forums and introducing yourself, should meet some awesome people.
Lover and would be writer of fantasy
My tumblelog on writing

Offline Overlord

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2011, 10:30:33 AM »
Decided to do it. I've been wanting to do a short story in order to establish my 'back story' for a while now... I think NaNo will be the perfect way to do this :)
Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering

Offline ganstream1

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2011, 12:31:12 PM »
Taking part as well this year. I already have my story plotted out. But I am busy with work as well, so will need to see how it goes.

Offline Autumn2May

• Word Mage
  • Administrator
  • Khaleesi
  • Does the noise in my head bother you?
    • View Profile
    • The Write Way To Type - Writing Blog
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2011, 04:39:44 PM »
I is in. ;)  Actually, everyone in my new writing group is going to do NaNo this year.  It should be fun to have some real life people to write with as well as online people. :)

Also for those who don't know, I'm jellen123 on NaNo. :)