December 19, 2018, 10:21:09 AM

Author Topic: NaNoWriMo 2018  (Read 926 times)

Offline NedMarcus

NaNoWriMo 2018
« on: October 31, 2018, 01:27:44 PM »
Are any of you doing NaNoWriMo this year?

This will be my first one, and I hope to write at least the first half of the first draft of my third novel (the final in my trilogy). At least, I'll do my best  :D

I've partly outlined the novel, but not in as much detail as I'd like—and I'd like A LOT of detail. But I'll go with what I've got. It will be an epic (at least the most epic of my novels) because I plan to have three separate story lines—a first for me.

What are you writing?

Offline Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Mistborn
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
Re: NaNoWriMo 2018
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2018, 01:32:18 PM »
I don't do NaNoWriMo because I'm not a sprint writer. I just can't not edit as I go along. But I am hoping to get 30000 word done this month and get a headway on my WIP.

Offline NedMarcus

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 01:40:50 PM »
I don't do NaNoWriMo because I'm not a sprint writer.
I'm the ultimate slow writer—possibly the slowest in the forum 8)  We can do a poll, if anyone wants. That's why I want to do NaNoWriMo. Perhaps it'll encourage me to speed up.

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 10:03:04 AM »
Good luck to any of you giving this a shot! May good things come from it.

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline Skip

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2018, 04:50:24 PM »
@NedMarcus, do you write every day? If not, Nano can be great for instilling habits.

Also, be sure to include your outlining in the word count. Writing is writing!
Visit Altearth

Offline NedMarcus

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2018, 12:15:01 AM »
@NedMarcus, do you write every day? If not, Nano can be great for instilling habits.

Also, be sure to include your outlining in the word count. Writing is writing!

I write most days. I hope most that it can speed me up. I spent yesterday filling holes in my outline (I outline by hand on sheets of paper) today I'll start writing the first draft.

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2018, 12:43:14 AM »
I finished NaNo back in...2016 I think. Didn't enter in 2017. I may give it a short shot just to go back to writing.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2018

Offline Alex Hormann

• Mistborn
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2018, 11:42:57 AM »
Well I somehow managed to fire off 2000 words yesterday.  :o

Forget what I said earlier, I'm going all in for the full 50,000.

Offline Alex Hormann

• Mistborn
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2018, 07:43:28 PM »
One week in and I'm on target with 12000 words. Fell short on Sunday, but made it up on other days.

@NedMarcus How are you faring?

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2018, 11:10:13 AM »
I made a NaNoWriMo profile for the first time ever this year (with the hopes of forcing myself to NaNoReviseMo my book by the end of November)  but I'm pretty much failing at it.  It was my birthday, then it was Halloween, then I was hung over, then I was sick.  Plus I've got some back problems that come from sitting at my home desk which complicates things quite a bit (currently on a couch w pillows under my legs and my laptop in my lap).

Tbh-- I don't completely understand the benefits of the whole profile thing-- it just seems like another distraction so far.  is there some way to communicate with each other that I'm missing? Or do we just stare at each other's progress bars? What's the diff between making a profile and just trying to do it on your own without a profile?

I'm thinking of fudging my goal to be in Nocember to make it more realistic

Offline Alex Hormann

• Mistborn
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2018, 11:16:43 AM »
@J.R Darewood.

I was under the impression the profiles and 'official' stuff gave you access to a support network. So you could talk over issues and stumbling blocks and help each other out.

I'm very much the stereotypical anti-social writer, hunched over a screen in total isolation. I think the social aspect of NaNoWriMo would get in the way if I tried committing to them.

Offline NedMarcus

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2018, 02:12:14 PM »
One week in and I'm on target with 12000 words. Fell short on Sunday, but made it up on other days.

@NedMarcus How are you faring?
It's going slowly. I've been distracted by a few things (including the ships short story contest here). I'm up to 6,500 words at the moment, but I still hope to catch-up.

Offline NedMarcus

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2018, 02:14:44 PM »
Tbh-- I don't completely understand the benefits of the whole profile thing-- it just seems like another distraction so far.  is there some way to communicate with each other that I'm missing? Or do we just stare at each other's progress bars? What's the diff between making a profile and just trying to do it on your own without a profile?
I don't completely understand it either. So far I've not been staring at anyone's progress bar—not even mine, which I keep forgetting to update.

Offline Alex Hormann

• Mistborn
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2018, 05:23:36 PM »
34k done.

I've already exceeded my personal goal, and I'm on the home run for the rest of the month. Have to admit it feels good to be writing regularly at such a good pace. It helps that I'm in the part of my story that I had in my mind for a long time, but regardless of that it's going well. If I can carry this pace over into December, I should be able to finish the WIP this year.

(And then lock it in a box and never touch it again.  :P )

Offline Alex Hormann

• Mistborn
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2018, 07:32:20 PM »
I've done it! I've completed NaNoWriMo!  ;D

Got a lot of thoughts about it all, but first I'm going to take a nice long nap.