August 10, 2020, 09:17:16 AM

Author Topic: Name My Space Station! (No really)  (Read 2261 times)

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • www.tebakutis.com
Name My Space Station! (No really)
« on: February 28, 2017, 03:00:13 PM »
So I'm building a space station in VRChat, and I haven't decided what to name it yet. I want something that's a sly nod to SF/F, including TV, books, anime, and so on, but I can't think of anything that leaps out at me. This will eventually be a public space which people can come to whenever, so I want to make it memorable.

Basically, I don't want something as well known as Babylon 5 or Deep Space Nine, but I don't want something as obscure as Port Marvis. And I just want something that *sounds* cool. So, I'm recruiting my fellow writers (and gamers, if you want to contribute!) for naming suggestions.

And BTW, this is purely subjective - there's no "winner" so much as there's just going to be a name suggestion I like more than others. However, the name I like will get you a credit (if you want it, of course) on the space station "credits" plaque, which will be mounted on the back of the bar ... so I guess that's kind of a win? Sort of? :)

Regarding the station itself, it's more plastic and sleek than metal and run down (think Mass Effect rather than Firefly), and so far includes a bar, private dining rooms with hologram tables, an Olympic size swimming pool with a great view of the planet below, a hot tub, and a dance club/performance stage/movie theater. So it's more of an entertainment destination than a military one.

Naming suggestions, go!

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
Re: Name My Space Station! (No really)
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 03:19:25 PM »
Milliways
(also known as the restaurant at the end of the universe from Douglas Adams' eponymous novel)

Online CameronJohnston

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 03:54:39 PM »
Spaceball Two
Armistice Station
Ripley Station
Serenity
Bellerophon (nod to Forbidden Planet)
Normandy Station
Gunstar (Last Starfighter)

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 04:48:45 PM »
  • Station 42
  • Ellis island (or Ellis Station)
  • Trantoruscant
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 04:52:20 PM »
Some random, unconventional ideas for you:

Triskelion Terminus (the triskelion symbol has a lot of references in games and literature I thought might be appealing to you, and the shape lends itself to the idea of a space station.

Beginning with Star Trek's Kobayashi Maru, my mind went to Japan for whatever reason. Since "maru" actually means "round", it seems appropriate for most space station configurations.

Benzaiten Maru (Japanese deity, patron of writers) 
Spoiler for Hiden:
Her origin is found in Hinduism, as she comes from the Hindu goddess Saraswati, the only female Fukujin in the modern grouping of seven Fukujin. When she was adapted from Buddhism, she was given the attributes of talent, beauty and music among others. In many occasions her figure appears in the "Torii" (entrance of the temples). She is represented as a smart, beautiful woman with all the aforementioned attributes. She carries a biwa, a Japanese traditional lute-like instrument and is normally accompanied by a white snake. She is the patron of artists, writers, dancers, and geisha, among others.

Shinmen Maru (Miyamoto Musashi's name as depicted in the Book of 5 Rings)
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline tebakutis

• Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 06:41:12 PM »
Benzaiten Maru (Japanese deity, patron of writers) 
Spoiler for Hiden:
Her origin is found in Hinduism, as she comes from the Hindu goddess Saraswati, the only female Fukujin in the modern grouping of seven Fukujin. When she was adapted from Buddhism, she was given the attributes of talent, beauty and music among others. In many occasions her figure appears in the "Torii" (entrance of the temples). She is represented as a smart, beautiful woman with all the aforementioned attributes. She carries a biwa, a Japanese traditional lute-like instrument and is normally accompanied by a white snake. She is the patron of artists, writers, dancers, and geisha, among others.

Oh man, I *love* that one (and I love the other suggestions too). But in particular, I like that Benzaiten Maru is a patron of artists. My only concern is people will have trouble knowing how to pronounce it, which could cause annoyance. But I love the meaning behind it. I will keep noodling, but regardless, great suggestions, everyone. Keep 'em coming!

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 07:21:47 PM »
I thought of that too, the pronunciation thing. You could go all Lucas and incorporate numbers to make it easier: Benzai-10 Maru, or just Benzai-10. There's an easter egg for speakers of Japanese.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline tebakutis

• Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 07:23:26 PM »
I thought of that too, the pronunciation thing. You could go all Lucas and incorporate numbers to make it easier: Benzai-10 Maru, or just Benzai-10. There's an easter egg for speakers of Japanese.

Dude, I think you just sold me. That is awesome, and solves the problem you mentioned. I think that's the frontrunner for now, though if anyone wants to toss out any other suggestions, please do (and again, everyone, thank you for all the brainstorming!)

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2017, 07:30:13 PM »
I'm glad if it serves or leads to something thought provoking. I love researching random ideas like this. It took me down the wiki-rabbit hole where I stumbled upon a number of interesting ideas for later. While wandering around concepts related to Kobyashi Maru, I found it interesting that we have no corresponding cultural icon for the no-lose / win-win scenario, for example. That says so much about humanity ;)

Good luck building your space station. It must be peaceful there.
The Gem Cutter

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2017, 07:45:52 PM »
Spacey McSpaceface.

Come on! No one thought of this one?

I wish Station was one syllable so that it would work better, but alas...

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2017, 08:43:51 PM »
"Spacey McSpaceBase"
The Gem Cutter

Offline tebakutis

• Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2017, 09:36:28 PM »
Spacey McSpaceface.

Come on! No one thought of this one?

I wish Station was one syllable so that it would work better, but alas...

Hahaha! I *knew* that one was going to come up - in fact, I remember thinking I was going to explicitly call out that I would not be accepting Spacey McSpaceface as a name! Great minds. :p

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2017, 07:58:20 PM »
Maybe you can get some inspiration here!  ;D

-> http://imgur.com/gallery/JS3Mq
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2017, 08:36:26 PM »

Seeing how trappist is a kind of beer I think we're juuuust fine in the name department.  8)

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2017, 10:04:29 PM »

Seeing how trappist is a kind of beer I think we're juuuust fine in the name department.  8)
That is always what I think when I hear that name - well, actually I think of the monastic order that made the beer in the first place, hehe
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!