June 21, 2018, 11:19:40 AM

Author Topic: My occult ritual  (Read 473 times)

Online Eli_Freysson

My occult ritual
« on: February 17, 2018, 11:32:02 AM »
I'm piecing together the various aspects of my new series, and the first novel will be about a group kidnapping people for use in a sacrificial ritual.

(yes, I know this is almost as heavily used in fantasy as the comma, but whatever)

I feel that if they could just use anyone things would be too easy and simple for the bad guys, and there would be no pattern for the heroes to investigate. So I need to design the ritual to have some kind of internal logic beyond just bloodshed.

Yesterday the thought occurred that maybe they need eight people: Two kids, two adolescents, two parents, and two old people. They are seeking to appeal to a Lovecraftian entity that sees all and knows all (an expy of Yog-Sothoth), and so the internal logic I have in mind is:

Children for their clean slate and potential.

Adolescents for being the bridge between childhood and adulthood.

Parents in the prime of their lives for being those truly tethered to this world.

Elders for looking back on all of life with experience and wisdom.

And one male, one female of each for the full view.

So.... does this sound workable as the offerings to appease an eldritch god? Also, I was thinking the bad guys would start with the oldest and work their way down, ie starting with wisdom and ending with potential.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
Re: My occult ritual
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 02:18:30 PM »
I think the current idea is workable, but you’ll need to work the detection of the pattern. Are all victims from one area or social class? That is, what tracts the attention of the investigators and/or the public, and what gets the investigators to see the pattern among the background of other criminal events and every day disappearances?

Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Online Eli_Freysson

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 02:19:47 PM »
I think the current idea is workable, but you’ll need to work the detection of the pattern. Are all victims from one area or social class? That is, what tracts the attention of the investigators and/or the public, and what gets the investigators to see the pattern among the background of other criminal events and every day disappearances?

Among other things, the pattern is that the ritual has been performed before. So that gives the heroes something to look backwards at.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 02:24:26 PM »

Among other things, the pattern is that the ritual has been performed before. So that gives the heroes something to look backwards at.

Cool. Good idea.

Now, Victorian London was a teeming place and very chaotic in the poor sections (At least in the stories I read). There has to be at least one abduction that triggers the investigation. And then a connection made to another previously ignored, followed by a new one. Let’s say the old folks are already in the past. One adult in the past. Now an adult is abducted and it triggers things. Maybe a high society guy or gal is slumming it; the crooks don’t realize this a profile person; much to their annoyance, this “obscure” person is a duke’s son, etc.

Sorry, I enjoy jamming on ideas. I’m sure you’ve already worked out a bunch of this.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 04:43:23 PM »
Mystery twists can be built in, and one potential one I see is the period between current murders/abductions and previous ones. If they are long enough apart, it can look as though an immortal is involved - since I assume no one would assume it was a group/cult.

You can make timing important, with murders occurring on the same day every year - a date which is either not important for any apparent reason, or seems important for a false reason, when the real reason is the earth's alignment with/proximity to the edlritch's black patch of the galaxy/comet/etc.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Online Eli_Freysson

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 05:13:45 PM »
You can make timing important, with murders occurring on the same day every year - a date which is either not important for any apparent reason, or seems important for a false reason, when the real reason is the earth's alignment with/proximity to the edlritch's black patch of the galaxy/comet/etc.

Yes, the actual ritual takes place on the summer solstice.

Online Eli_Freysson

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 09:15:52 AM »
So does anyone else have anything to say about the essence of my ritual?

Offline JRTroughton

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 07:07:14 PM »
The essence of it looks fine enough to me. Good, in fact. How the characters will deduce the pattern and (presumably) predict what will be next is the tricky part.