May 24, 2019, 10:17:24 PM

Author Topic: Inspiration  (Read 3320 times)

Offline Phoenix

Inspiration
« on: March 07, 2016, 07:05:51 PM »
I was wondering where y'all get your ideas for your books, stories, etc and/or inspiration?
"My death shall spark a war, and from the ashes of the battlefield I shall be reborn"

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
Re: Inspiration
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 07:08:20 PM »
1) strap on that backpack and have a lot of adventures yourself (hell yeah  8))
2) look at your immediate surroundings and write about those (poor man's solution)
3) do both (my solution)

Offline night_wrtr

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 07:10:31 PM »
All over the place. Sometimes from other books, sometimes it's lyrics in a song. It happens like a snowball for me. I get the first idea for something, and it just rolls downhill, growing as it goes.

Offline Yora

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 07:42:11 PM »
Today I mentioned to my dad on the phone that I am trying out writing, and he told me that he also started last week. And showed me this interesting video he saw: Everything is a Remix.

Which is interesting because just yesterday I was watching this presentation by Brandon Sanderson that talks pretty much about the same thing, in a more practical way aimed at starting writers. He is always of the opinion that "ideas are cheap". There are no really new or great ideas. Creativity and original creation happens when you combine ideas in a new way that has not been done before.

My ideas usually start with seeing something in a book, movie, or game and thinking that this idea could have been done much better. Any time I find something disappointing, it's something to write down and perhaps one day trying to do it how I think it should have been done.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 09:32:16 PM »
I was wondering where y'all get your ideas for your books, stories, etc and/or inspiration?

Right now, a lot of it is coming from working on the Monthly Contests here at FF.
Beyond that, it's just that stuff... pops up.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Yora

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2016, 09:40:27 PM »
A lot of good ideas come when writing down ideas I already have. Having an idea in the mind tends to leave it very fuzzy, but when you put it down into words it takes a more clear shape and you discover a lot of ways in which you can develop it further.
Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor

There is nothing to read!

Offline Blackthorn

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2016, 10:06:51 PM »

Right now, a lot of it is coming from working on the Monthly Contests here at FF.
Beyond that, it's just that stuff... pops up.

This exactly.  A lot of things you wouldn't think of writing on your own, and different concepts that help you to improve are usually good for inspiration as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Offline ArhiX

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2016, 10:16:32 PM »
Now Yora has "evil" likes.

Because I play a lot, I'm taking ideas from games, and sometimes from manga (like Berserk) and anime (I'm not Otaku tho). Some, from my own, personal deviations.
Wait.
I told you I'm not an Otaku...

Anyways - I tend to bake them for some time... and they just: POP! Appear. Just like toasts. Not raw anymore - but still to dry to "eat" them. I hope you get my metaphor. :P

So... Yeah! Games and other stuff. Sometimes I see a random quote from the internet, and I build a story using it as a foundament (i.e.: "stand in the ashes of a trillion dead souls and ask the ghosts if honor matters. The silence is your answer.")
"The world is full of stories, and from time to time, they permit themselves to be told."

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2016, 10:37:20 PM »
Ideas come out of the Creative Well. ;)

But I'm not actually being facetious. I find this a really good analogy - when I'm writing, I'm pulling water out of the well and using it. But you can't just pull water out forever. Eventually the well will run dry unless it is refilled.

Some stuff I do to refill the well (i.e. put creative energy and inspiration back into it) includes: consuming other media (books and movies, the more the better, mash 'em all up in there into a yummy story-stew); play computer games; listen to music and attend concerts; visit museums and historical sites (anthropology and history are such rich sources of story, my last two big ideas came out of a museum in South America and a Dutch chapel); and talk nonsense with my husband.

Offline Blackthorn

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2016, 01:25:10 AM »
I like to read about different mythologies, mythical creatures, writing advice.
Watching documentaries, stuff about prehistoric animals, a show called River Monsters.

But mostly ideas just appear unbidden into my head. Usually they will be based on something I know about but a completely random thing may trigger the idea. Most of the time even after several years their are many ideas that I can tell you exactly what made me think of it, and the connection doesn't really make any sense.

Offline jefGoelz

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2016, 05:00:10 AM »
everything I experience (or read).

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2016, 09:04:08 AM »
From reading widely: novels, non-fiction, comics, manga, graphic novels...
From watching widely: documentaries, films, 80s cartoons, anime...
From the past: History, mythologies, castles, ruins, stone circles...
From general life...

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline CryptofCthulhu

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2016, 02:10:19 PM »
As far as writing goes I've probably been influenced far more by cinema than I have by reading books.
“Silence is only frightening to people who are compulsively verbalizing.” ~ William S. Boroughs

Offline ArhiX

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2016, 02:55:33 PM »
I remember how I saw an image of electric lines in some brazilian city. It was a mass of tangled wires, going out in each and every possible direction. And propably even between dimensions - as I laughed when I saw it 1st time.

For some reason, I started to imagine dragon(s) tangled by ropes and chains... Ideas can strike you anywhere - really.

It's not the same photo, but you get the idea.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 08:58:05 AM by ArhiX »
"The world is full of stories, and from time to time, they permit themselves to be told."

Offline Very Tired Writer

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2016, 05:31:57 PM »
Pretty much everything I read/watch/play. If I enjoy something, I try to break down into parts why I enjoyed it, and then consume those parts into my stories. Sometimes I might get inspiration just looking at an image as well, or I'll go on wikipedia and look at the history of a country or culture I know little about.

For my initial sparks, I usually like to think "what if X meets Y?" A lot of movies are pitches as "what if Die Hard meets X?" but I like to expand it more for anything, from characters to setting. And as a tip, I personally like to juxtapose very different ideas, instead of just ones I like. From there though, it's your responsibility to fill in the necessary details and build a good story, as that alone won't be enough to make the whole thing.

And probably the most important source of inspiration is real life. All stories take from real life, or they take inspiration from stories that take from real life. If you get right down to it, all ideas originate from our experiences in real life, so it's not a bad idea to start looking there. Now, I'm not saying you have to go out and explore the world and get experience, influence from life can come from anywhere; even legendary heroes probably have to do mundane tasks like picking up groceries from the store if they want to get by.
I don't even know what to put here yet