October 01, 2020, 03:14:00 PM

Author Topic: How much did you write today?  (Read 285501 times)

Re: How much did you write today?
« Reply #360 on: October 14, 2013, 08:21:08 PM »
I didn't get much writing done today! I've been trying to promote my dark fantasy book. It's a short story and it's free all this week on Kindle. It's title is "Reign" and its by me, Aled Davies.

Offline Bruce McKnight

« Reply #361 on: November 09, 2013, 07:35:08 PM »
I'm pumped! I put myself on 15 minute timers to keep myself moving and plowing through a garbage first draft. I did 3,800 words in two hours. Still lots of time left today!

Offline Yuan François

• Godling
  • Love is a sweet poison, but it kills nevertheless.
« Reply #362 on: January 03, 2014, 03:44:15 AM »
Three words!!
WHoho!!
"It seems to me most strange that men should fear; Seeing that death, a necessary end, will come when it will come."
-Julius Caesar, William Shakespeare

http://enygmatickid.wordpress.com/

https://princeandprodigy.wordpress.com/

Offline A.n.k.H.

• Seeker
  • An Egyptian wizard with mad raps like Kool Moe Dee
    • Diving Into Dark Minds
« Reply #363 on: February 03, 2014, 02:56:10 PM »
Even in the midst of hyper-frustration in having a sci-fi/fantasy piece of mine rejected twice in a row (in the same day--yesterday, no less!!), and having a supreme dose of ego-deflated/PO'ed-induced writer's block, I managed to stumble through about 3k worth of re-writing and editing on another rejected piece that went around in circles and didn't improve anything. After getting mad at edit failing too, I decided to completely revamp and change the story, so that added about an extra 4-5k worth of words on WORD.

...Let's just say I didn't sleep well last night. D:
"Never say never, whatever you do!" :3

Tweet me!: https://twitter.com/AnkH_Prophecy

Offline DRMarvello

« Reply #364 on: February 18, 2014, 09:16:22 PM »
Today was a good day to write. I got about 2,500 words down, finished a major scene with lots of action, and killed off a minor character.
Daniel R. Marvello
Blog: The Vaetra Files
Books: The Vaetra Chronicles

Offline David Gullen

« Reply #365 on: February 18, 2014, 09:44:22 PM »
Not that many words but I did finish the second draft, so am feeling thoroughly justified.  8)

Offline Matthew Graybosch

• Shadow Op
  • "Don't turn your back on the city." --The Protomen
    • Starbreaker: Science Fantasy by Matthew Graybosch
« Reply #366 on: February 18, 2014, 11:06:33 PM »
Only 500 words, which is kinda pathetic, but I only got a half an hour for my lunch break.
Matthew Graybosch
"Millions against one is almost a fair fight." --Morgan Stormrider in The Blackened Phoenix

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
AW: Re: How much did you write today?
« Reply #367 on: February 19, 2014, 04:41:16 AM »
Only 500 words, which is kinda pathetic, but I only got a half an hour for my lunch break.
that are 500 more than I wrote, so it's absolutely not pathetic.

Maybe we should reinstall the 500club? :)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline ericfomley

« Reply #368 on: February 22, 2014, 05:18:30 AM »
Today: 256
Total: 12824
I started my series this month, it can just be so hard to focus sometimes!
Eric S. Fomley

Offline shep5377

« Reply #369 on: February 23, 2014, 09:08:04 PM »
Just wrote a 500 word flash fiction piece using only dialogue. I have no idea if it worked or not, but fun experiment.

Offline Grimsmith

« Reply #370 on: March 28, 2014, 06:54:33 PM »
hi I'm new here,
I've been struggling along by myself for awhile, but finally turned to the internet to look for a community of fellow fantasy writers. So here I am.
I did about 2000 words today....but I deleted 4000. part of my struggle now is cutting out the bits that don't work for whatever reason and wrestling the whole thing together. I typically leave scenes out if I can't think of a way to write them at the time. This sometimes causes a problem when I have to go back and fill the 'holes'. Anybody else have the problem?
 today: 2000 words
Total:61 216 words.

Offline ladygreen

« Reply #371 on: April 03, 2014, 09:53:45 PM »
I did about 2000 words today....but I deleted 4000. part of my struggle now is cutting out the bits that don't work for whatever reason and wrestling the whole thing together. I typically leave scenes out if I can't think of a way to write them at the time. This sometimes causes a problem when I have to go back and fill the 'holes'. Anybody else have the problem?

Sometimes I do that too - leave gaps just to keep my writing momentum going.  What I typically do is type a quick outline of what the scene could maybe look like instead of writing it.  That allows me to continue with my flow of thought.  And by outline, I mean absolutely cryptic - I trust I'll understand when I read it later.  Then, when I have all those other ideas out of my system, I can go back to the spot where the scene should be, review my outline, and go from there. 

I'm on year 3 of writing my novel, and at this point, its become more like re-writing my novel.  So my tally today was minus 1000 words!  Editing, editing...  :D

Offline RocknRollnWrite

« Reply #372 on: April 04, 2014, 11:45:59 AM »

Yep I do this, or I just write characters' names and a few tag words or maybe a sentence. "How is he dealing with captivity?" or something like that.

I remember a tweet from Joe Abercrombie when he was drafting a book and he turned the page on his notes and it just said "You know what to do here". And he had no clue! Brilliant to see even the best make schoolboy errors like that.

As for the actual total, 500 today before work, but also cutting and pasting scenes from another section that need to be here and adjusting dialogue and exposition accordingly. Normally I write around 1000 a day.
One does not simply walk into the free weights area...

Offline ladygreen

« Reply #373 on: April 08, 2014, 10:38:25 PM »
Only 650 today.  I revisited a chapter that I wrote over 6 months ago and I am not happy with it at all now.  The good news is that I have definitely grown as a writer in the past 6 months.  The bad news is that I have to rewrite the chapter.  What do you do when your own standards keep getting higher as you are writing?  I don't even know how many times I have revised my book - its approaching edit # 4 or 5...when do you say stop and submit?

Offline DDRRead

« Reply #374 on: April 09, 2014, 05:54:28 PM »
Three words!!
WHoho!!

Well as long as they were three good ones.  ;D

646 on Mon, 0 yesterday, 250 today.