May 29, 2020, 02:13:38 AM

Author Topic: How much did you write today?  (Read 264977 times)

Offline Yora

Re: How much did you write today?
« Reply #1650 on: February 24, 2020, 11:46:31 AM »
50,000?! That's a small book.

I did 2,000 yesterday. My best so far.
We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on a big tower of other dwarves.

Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor

Offline Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: February 24, 2020, 12:38:01 PM »
50,000?! That's a small book.

I did 2,000 yesterday. My best so far.

To clarify, the 50,000 wasn't a single day. Oh, how I wish it were.

I've been slowed by lambing, but I reached the 60,000 point yesterday. The project goal is 100k, but I'll likely go over that.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #1652 on: February 25, 2020, 09:13:19 AM »
60k is so close to 66k - 2/3 of a whole novel!

I always aim for 100k as a nice round number, but go over that in fleshing things out. I'm trying to get 1000 words a day done at the moment and I'm almost at 33k on this new WiP - 1/3 of a novel, and from there 50k and 50% are in easy striking distance.

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline Alex Hormann

• Auror
    • View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: February 25, 2020, 03:38:37 PM »
I stick to the same pattern too. A novel in a 100 days is good going, even if there is editing afterwards. Always feels weird how the first 50k feels so slow, the the second half feels like it's going to quickly.

Offline Ray McCarthy

« Reply #1654 on: February 25, 2020, 05:43:24 PM »
I think anything over 40K is a novel. There isn't a clear demarcation between a longer novella and a shorter novel.

Most stories have an ideal length. Beta reading / Editing / rewriting is partly discovering what it is.
I'm working on "Goths and Rooks". As a result of Beta Reader feedback:
One scene is re-written and a bit longer.
A chapter is inserted. No idea yet how long it will be, as I'm currently writing it. There was too big a jump in time for the style of story.
A later chapter ended to abruptly causing confusion at the start of the next chapter for the reader. I've added about 1k words to the end of that chapter.

My Blogs & Books. Available via Amazon, Apple, Barnes&Noble, Kobo, Tolino and Smashwords.

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #1655 on: March 05, 2020, 02:57:08 AM »
I've written around 2,000 words for a short story yesterday. It felt kinda forced, since I was writing because I had nothing else better to do (well rather than browse the internet aimlessly), but it's something, I supposed.

Offline Alex Hormann

• Auror
    • View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: March 24, 2020, 08:02:35 PM »
Managed 1016 words to reach a total of 92316 words.  Slightly less than anticipated, but that is a third novel in the trunk. Not publishable of course, but this is the one I'll be going back to edit in a few months.

Now to make a start on those short stories I have planned.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #1657 on: March 29, 2020, 05:05:05 PM »
At the moment, only 250ish words, but there will be more.
I’ve gone back to my Gin and Magic concept (think Dashiel Hammet’s Thin Man, but with magic  :o).
I haven’t touched it since before my heart attack two years ago.
It’s so much fun to write in this style.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: March 29, 2020, 06:49:53 PM »
At the moment, only 250ish words, but there will be more.
I’ve gone back to my Gin and Magic concept (think Dashiel Hammet’s Thin Man, but with magic  :o).
I haven’t touched it since before my heart attack two years ago.
It’s so much fun to write in this style.

I want to read this  ;D
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Alex Hormann

• Auror
    • View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: April 06, 2020, 05:10:23 PM »
Kicking off the new project with a solid 1200 words.

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #1660 on: April 07, 2020, 12:09:05 AM »
I’ve been working my way past 3,600 words on a short story.
Acts 1 and 2 are compete. Not quite feeling Act 3 yet.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Ray McCarthy

« Reply #1661 on: April 07, 2020, 01:43:35 PM »
Coincidently it's the very next ebook on my TBR pile. Just read 1st page.
Not writing as such, but re-writing / editing The Mission's Talent, the last book in the series. It's at about 127 k words and needs a lot of work. Almost 500 comments on the 1st complete draft, but the Beta Reader (Alpha Reader) liked it and how it ended the book and series.

I didn't tie up any loose ends, so while I don't intend writing an 8th book in the series, it's possible. Or someone else can when I'm dead.
My Blogs & Books. Available via Amazon, Apple, Barnes&Noble, Kobo, Tolino and Smashwords.

Offline Ray McCarthy

« Reply #1662 on: April 08, 2020, 12:06:40 PM »
Read it last night. The 1935s film version is quite different. The sequel films are not from Dashiel Hammet’s books.
Very gripping, though an amount of drinking and cocktails that would make Fleming / Bond jealous?
Was it partly because it was Prohibition in the USA then, on a similar literary principle to Enid Byton's characters having feasts during rationing (very severe in UK compared to USA and much worse just after the end of WWII, only ending in very early 1950s). Though prohibition doesn't explain the cops beating up people.

I hope the story works out for you. I'm sure I never read it before yet the start of my "Starship Chief" has some aspects similar to the opening paragraphs. Though  "Starship Chief" is an adventure inspired by a mashup of King Lear, Treasure Island and Coral Island.

Stevenson credits Coral Island and almost EVERYTHING in popular Western Culture on Pirates is from Treasure Island. Curiously only evidence that one Pirate ever buried treasure and the location wasn't really even secret. The most successful "pirates" were licenced by Queen Elizabeth to harry the Spanish shipping gold they stole from the Americas. The economic boom of Europe and subsequent ability to dominate / "colonise" the world might have been fuelled by that theft of gold. A second aspect was a population boom in Europe fed by the imported Potato. The resulting dependence was why there were massive famines in Europe, not just Ireland.
 The most positive aspect might have been the Portuguese introducing Chillies to Asia. What would Asian food be today without chillis?  Or Italian food without tomatoes? Chocolate and rubber too.

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #1663 on: April 08, 2020, 07:44:52 PM »
@Ray McCarthy, there was certainly a lot of wish fulfillment media in the ‘30s around wealth, happiness, and liquor: things otherwise in short supply.

Interesting about the stolen Spanish gold maybe being the catalyst or grubstakes for the British Empire. I’ve never heard of Coral Island. What is that?
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Ray McCarthy

« Reply #1664 on: April 08, 2020, 08:31:03 PM »
Interesting about the stolen Spanish gold maybe being the catalyst or grubstakes for the British Empire. I’ve never heard of Coral Island. What is that?
It's in the preface to Treasure Island as the inspiration
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/author/333
There are a couple of slightly different versions.   Better than Robinson Crusoe, which doesn't actually have a plot.
Practically the first "modern" so called YA adventure.
It's very famous in UK & Ireland.

My mashup of King Lear, Coral Island and Treasure Island as an SF story (set 25 years before Earth is contacted by Aliens) uses the sources Shakespeare used for King Lear so is less tragic. Actually Nahum Tate used those sources for his version of King Lear.  Tate's version was almost the only version in production from the Restoration (hardly any theatre allowed in Cromwell's Commonwealth) up to the start of the Victorian Era.
Shakespeare had very few totally original plays and all the stories he used for Tragedies were made more tragic.

My tribute to Chandler and Hammet in SF  is "The Legal Talent", Maisie has to explain everything at the end! I'm about 1/4 way through editing and re-writing the book after "The Legal Talent" in the series, "The Mission's Talent". I'd have liked it to be a detective thriller with a convoluted plot, but it's more related to a Hero Quest story with dysfunctional xenophobic politics.

And Shakespeare's son that died young?