June 22, 2018, 12:43:19 AM

Author Topic: How much did you write today?  (Read 146947 times)

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
Re: How much did you write today?
« Reply #1545 on: January 23, 2018, 03:12:09 PM »
I had 3700 yesterday. I'm at 21,000 words for the month, but I've only written six days out of twenty-two.

Offline Ray McCarthy

« Reply #1546 on: January 26, 2018, 04:46:44 PM »
I'm at 27,000 for January on "The College's Talent", but that is up to a week ago, been helping someone move house and re-reading the unfinished "The Legal Talent", though it seems nearly complete (6th version of draft as I change my mind), obviously more novella style at the moment as it's 41,000 words. The Mission' Talent is 79K (needs more work). The Solar Alliance (one of the earlier books in series) is 143K.

Offline Bradley Darewood

• aka Barley Redwood
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Bradley Darewood on Tumblr!
« Reply #1547 on: February 13, 2018, 08:08:53 AM »
So I've been working on this novel for 8 years, but my imagination has wayyy outstripped my progress.

I've only written one book (and re-written it 100 times) but I've imagined 7-8 books worth of events, and when I'm inspired I sit down and write a scene that takes place who knows when.  The problem is I made new versions of my outline, made outlines for specific books there are some scenes in some places others in other places, sometimes I went back and added to the original, sometimes I made a new version on a USB and who knows. Sometimes I wrote two completely different versions of the same scene and they're in totally random places. So I have like 15 files, completely random as to whats identical and what's not, NOT chronological (often I'll write a climactic scene then I'll immediately think of a good scene or two that would foreshadow it) and I need to consolidate them but I want to stab myself in the face. (and that's just the outline.  I've got hundreds of versions of the WIP, entirely disorganized with completely inconsistent naming systems, and I've changed the names of places and characters more times than I can count so searching the documents are a mess)

I'd just delete it all, but honestly I was a much better writer 5 years ago.  My turns of phrase have gotten sparse and workmanlike.  So yeah, the average reader probably doesn't care that version 1.27 was better than version 7.64 BUT I KNOW!!!!  God this is a mess.

I seriously want to jump off a cliff right now.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 08:14:42 AM by Bradley Darewood »

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: February 13, 2018, 10:18:29 AM »
@Bradley Darewood , you remind me of the making of the song “Hallelujah” by Leonard Cohen. He wrote, like, 85 verses that made no sense at all from one to the other, kept changing them, recorded the song twice,  none of it struck a chord. A different artist heard something in it, and selected a way smaller group of verses which he ordered in a way that made sense to him. He recorded it; and it went nowhere. Then a third artist - Jeff Buckley - heard the obscure cover of the obscure song and recorded an obscure cover of the cover. The song went nowhere. Until.Buckley died and the thing took off. Now everyone covers Buckley’s cover of the cover of Cohen mash of song and it’s considered Cohen greatest work.

Take what lessons you will from the story,  it my thought is: pick a subplot out of all this that can stand on its own and write a long short story or a novella. Get a success (as you would feel it) under your belt. Then go bigger.

I have just written my advice to myself too.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline Bradley Darewood

• aka Barley Redwood
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Bradley Darewood on Tumblr!
« Reply #1549 on: February 13, 2018, 11:10:51 AM »
Idk Jmack-- the story in my head is too big for a subplot.  There are things I'm excited to get to that take a lot of time to build to, and that's the whole point of the exercise. I think I need to do the opposite and just speed up this awful revision thing and even if this series is just trash I have to write it or I'll die unhappy and unfulfilled.

I may not have many worldly possessions, but surprisingly I am a hoarder.

I am a word hoarder.

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #1550 on: March 07, 2018, 03:04:32 AM »
Manage to write a whole new short story, rewrite another short story I've written several months prior, and make some progress on the first chapter of my WIP. This week is a great writing week!  8)