September 29, 2020, 09:49:18 PM

Author Topic: How much did you write today?  (Read 285362 times)

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

Re: How much did you write today?
« Reply #1425 on: February 03, 2017, 12:47:42 PM »
Roughly 600 words yesterday, first chapter of my brand new fantasy-horror-dystopian novel!  :D

Online Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Bookworm first, human second.
« Reply #1426 on: February 06, 2017, 06:43:15 PM »
I've managed to get a few hundred words scattered across a handful of short story WIPs. Looking to get started on my Remastered Worlds submission tonight.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline JCkang

« Reply #1427 on: February 09, 2017, 02:48:35 AM »
Wednesdays are my day off, so today and last Wednesday, I've managed 3k words each day.  On the other days, it averages around 500-1000.

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #1428 on: February 09, 2017, 03:32:26 AM »
After weeks of delay waiting for allllll the feedback to settle in my unruly mind, and then for my mind to generate some viable approaches to executing that feedback, I'm finally back at it.

I've topped 6K words in 24 hours, and my night's just getting started. That doesn't count probably 1K of deletions, so perhaps as much as 7. I'll take it. Feels good to have a sense of direction again. The writing's the easy part, compared to deciding WHAT to write, and how.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline Matamelcan

« Reply #1429 on: February 09, 2017, 03:36:14 AM »
Hoping to hit 1000, will update after attempt.

Update:  I fell asleep in my comfy chair listening to 'May It Be' by Enya.  Only 350ish words in. :(
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 06:12:20 AM by Matamelcan »
"Deep within the dark embrace of the forest, under massive boughs and a roof of intertwined limbs, several elves bowed their heads, lips moving silently in prayer, the raging storm lost to them in the tranquility of their faith."

Offline Lordoftheword

« Reply #1430 on: February 09, 2017, 01:57:42 PM »
After weeks of delay waiting for allllll the feedback to settle in my unruly mind, and then for my mind to generate some viable approaches to executing that feedback, I'm finally back at it.

I've topped 6K words in 24 hours, and my night's just getting started. That doesn't count probably 1K of deletions, so perhaps as much as 7. I'll take it. Feels good to have a sense of direction again. The writing's the easy part, compared to deciding WHAT to write, and how.

Sounds like you have the opposite problem that most writers have, which intrigues me. I always have a pretty good idea about what I want to write; that comes easy to me. But it's the getting it down on the paper/screen that always ails me.

That said, I was able to complete 4k words yesterday in 3 hours on my Freelance project (which is coming together almost TOO well). I literally free-balled it and just wrote, and while most of the time that doesn't turn out too great, I gave it a re-read this morning and it's perfect. Now I'm struggling with the fact that once I'm done this project/novel I'll never see it again  :'(
Author of Tournament of Hearts: The Librarian Gladiator.
Check out my embarrassing misadventures @ www.dustindoes.com

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #1431 on: February 10, 2017, 06:57:50 AM »
At the sentence and paragraph level, even the scene level, my writing is reliable and quick. My first ideas tend to stick, and the writing flows quick enough to allow for going back and changing, rearranging, etc., on the fly.

It's deciding what to write that wracks my brain. I can envision a story flowing in any number of directions. The bigger the work or the scene, the more permutations I can imagine. This is all terrific. It's the fact that I cannot tell shit from shinola when comparing various paths that gets in my way. I am naturally indecisive, a perfect advisor, a poor leader. And writing is all about self-leadership. It can take me longer to choose what to order for dinner than it does to eat it.

The military breeds people to be impatient, and as weird as it sounds, in my head the fear of potential delays from dead-ends that don't actually exist lock me up until I've decided which direction to take things. I don't know why. And realizing the delays don't exist doesn't help me any more than me telling people "just write the scene as you go" works for those who struggle with things at the sentence and paragraph level.

I wrote a free-flow book at 11 on a typewriter, 426 pages, with like no spaces, and almost no margins. And I think that gave me superpowers in some ways, but huge handicaps in others. So I am a good writer, but the world's shittiest story-former and arranger. If that makes sense.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #1432 on: February 16, 2017, 12:53:23 AM »
I wrote ~2.050 2.130 words for my novella WIP. Not sure if it will be indeed the first chapter but it's getting done!

« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 01:45:31 AM by Lanko »
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #1433 on: February 18, 2017, 01:51:49 AM »
Wrote around 1k today, but only half was actually story. Midway through I simply got a sudden insight for a plot thread and wrote 2 or 3 pages outlining it.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline Amaranth

• Coreling
  • The world's a stage and I've forgotton my lines.
« Reply #1434 on: March 12, 2017, 09:48:23 AM »
A about 500 words a day over the last couple of days...managed to sneak a few free hours in my job to quickly write stuff down and e-mail it to myself!

My thought process was:

1)I'm in work writing
2)I'm currently being paid...while i write
3)I'm a paid writer!

If less is more, just think about how much more more would be!

Offline Amaranth

• Coreling
  • The world's a stage and I've forgotton my lines.
« Reply #1435 on: March 12, 2017, 09:27:34 PM »
Just hit 1500 for today and i'm now at the point where i think 'Urgh...back to work tomorrow.'
If less is more, just think about how much more more would be!

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #1436 on: March 24, 2017, 08:13:00 PM »
Got in 1600 words yesterday and another 3800 today. I'm starting to feel good about this book again.

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Writing Group
  • Auror
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #1437 on: April 01, 2017, 05:27:43 AM »
2,000 words for four straight days. Over time, that's going to build up. The second book in my Sunweaver series is coming along really well, and I'm discovering new and surprising things about the story as I go. That's always fun.

Offline abatch

« Reply #1438 on: April 19, 2017, 08:49:36 PM »
I shoot for 500 words a day for a year. Sometimes I hit a few thousand. Other times, I'll go days without writing more than a sentence or two. I've been told Steven King has a two thousand a day word goal, but I suspect he does rather more than that when he's hot.

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Writing Group
  • Auror
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #1439 on: April 23, 2017, 03:57:08 AM »
April has been a good writing month for me. I've hit 1,000 words every day but one. For the last two days, I've been over 2500. This consistent output has added up. For the month, I've written about 32,500 words.