October 29, 2020, 10:58:12 PM

Author Topic: How much did you write today?  (Read 291928 times)

Offline Yora

Re: How much did you write today?
« Reply #840 on: November 11, 2015, 10:50:03 PM »
Finished a 4500 word concept outline that I started yesterday.
We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on a big tower of other dwarves.

Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #841 on: November 12, 2015, 03:39:08 AM »

Today i thought about the drawing posted earlier. And why i'm so bad at it, considering my father has amazing skill at that.

I remembered, in the school i studied, when i was between 6-9, we had a discipline called "Artistic Education". Every year we had it.

During those 4 or 5 years, we learned painting, paper-bending (not sure if it is the right word  ;D), a lot of stuff with scissors and glue, children's modelling clay, things with toothpicks, models of foam core (hope that is also the right word), stuff with some kind of black adhesive paper,  we even had a coral and played instruments and sang.
But now that i think about it, we didn't had writing, in any form. Not even poetry. We didn't even read anything, in fact.

Anyway, the teacher was a very tall blond, between 28-40. Today i know she was very skilled, but she had no way of dealing with children. She was always screaming and disdaining at almost everything we made. Lots and lots of kids were crying. I did too, even more when one semester i didn't got the necessary grade and had to come to school at saturdays to make up for it.

One day, i think another teacher didn't came and she came to look after us. She just allowed us to draw anything we wanted, so we got paper and pencils.

One girl caught everyone's attention, she was drawing a huge flower, covering the entire piece of paper. I don't know why, if she just got the first pencil in her reach or of it was the only one available (lots of kids and not enough pencils for everyone), but she colored the petals in brown. In fact, none of us cared, we just saw the big flower.
Encouraged by that, she went to show it to the art teacher.

She exploded. "What is this?? Are you stupid?? Have you ever saw a brown flower?" and tossed the drawing away. The girl cried and ran out of the room. The teacher didn't even blinked and told us something about getting things right.
20 years ago (or more) and i still remember that.
I also remember becoming extremely cautious about the color of things, even erasing them if the colored pencil required was not available. Also didn't draw anything out of the ordinary. And i guess everyone else too.

But aside from that, i kept mulling over about the lack of writing/reading. Maybe she didn't considered it art.

So a scene kind of came to my mind, where there is two people talking, one writer and one who doesn't think it's art compared to the others.
I imagined they discussed that at a ballroom that looked like the Titanic's (don't ask why, i don't know either).
Two countries are about to go to war, but one of them has a king, a court and people like the ones in the Titanic (maybe that's why i thought about it). The other kingdom are warmongers, a force of nature like the iceberg that hit the ship.
And there's a meeting where they are gonna discuss a treaty of land dispute.
Mr.Writer (i don't even know why he is there or who he is) then discuss that with the duke whose lands are in dispute.

So i came with a very small scene, in case anyone cares:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Mr.Writer walked into the ballroom, where golden tones glinted everywhere; the walls, the roof, the chandeliers, the frames of the paintings, the musician’s intruments, even from the servant’s trays.
   For Mr.Writer, it gave the impression of a treasure room. He couldn’t believe it. They were about to die and they all acted like it was just another day at court.
   The princess and another man approached him.
   “I’m glad you came, Mr.Writer,” she said and glanced at her companion. “This is Duke Fat, he owns the lands in the frontier.”
   Mr.Writer was not impressed by the owner of the lands his king so desired. A merchant, a court flatterer. Nobody would fight and die for this man.
   “Lord Fat, I heard you are an ardorous appretiator of the arts,” said Mr.Writer. They shaked hands.
   The man grinned. “Yes, of course! There’s nothing else a man should aspire to do or to admire.” They walked through the long corridor, two guards behind them, bodyguards of the princess.
   “The best musicians, singers, actors and painters of the kingdom are here,” he said, drinking a glass of wine.
   “But not the best writers,” pointed Mr.Writer. Duke Fat grunted.
   “Writers? Forming letters in a piece of paper is not art, Mr.Writer. Any lowly scribe or squire can do it. Maybe even some of the peasants. We don’t read or, God forbid, write here, Mr.Writer.”
   The princess looked at him with a warning glance, but Mr.Writer wouldn’t let that go unanswered. The duke got another glass of wine.
   “Listen, Mr.Writer,” he said and they listened for a while, BestSinger singing his most famous song. “How can letters compare to this? To those instruments? To those actors who make you laugh and cry?” They stopped and Duke Fat pointed at a painting. “Don’t they say a picture is worth a thousand words?”
   Duke Fat smiled in triumph and Mr.Writer took a sip of wine. Too sweet.
   “The singers have to write their lyrics many times until they find perfect rhyme, the whole orchestra have before them the score with the notes they will play and the actors need to memorize every line of their scripts. Trust me, Duke Fat, all of them wrote a lot, or someone else did, so they could perform like this.”
   The princess looked shocked, but Duke Fat was thinking, a hand holding his chin. “I never thought about that.” Then he turned to the painting. “But what about painting? The colors, the figures, there’s nothing that needs to be written to do that.” He pointed at it. “My lands. Could you describe them better with your writing, Mr.Writer? A thousands words worthy more than a painting?”
   “Letters written in a piece of paper alter the word in many forms, in ways no singer, musician, actor or painter would ever do, lord Fat.”
   The duke stared at him in disbelief.
   “How’s that so?”
   “Green, golden and white. The colors of your kingdom, right, Duke Fat?” asked Mr.Writer.
   “Yes, but what does that—”
   “Green from the fertile fields, golden for wealth and white for peace.” Mr.Writer turned to the princess. “Also the color of the dresses of the fair damsels.”
   She blushed and both men laughed.
   “But my king Villain is a man of war, thus the only colors he likes are the red of blood and the black of ashes.” He stared at the painting of Duke Fat’s lands. “So let us hope the thousand words on that treaty are worthy enough to prevent you, my lordship, of ordering a new, empty and dreary painting to replace this bright one.”
   The duke and the princess gasped.
   “Yes,” said Mr.Writer, still looking at the painting. “That would be a shame.”

Alternative:

“His favorite colors are red; the blood of his men, of his enemies and the one dripping down the damsels’ legs; and the black of ashes, of the mourning of the widows and the darkness of death.”

Yea, rough, unpolished, needs a lot of work, i know. Couldn't even think of names for the characters. And it's not related in any way to the story i'm currently working on.
But i just felt i needed to write this, maybe someday i will work on this.

Just a random reflection from old remembrances, nothing do with writing  ;D

Now that i think about it...this was like almost 700 words. That means i didn't even wrote a thousand for my NaNo stuff. Holy...

« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 03:49:31 AM by Lanko »
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #842 on: November 12, 2015, 11:18:43 AM »
I particularly like the idea of using the colors to show how writing can change the meaning of the same things through context and treatment. Very fable-ish, @Lanko.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
« Reply #843 on: November 12, 2015, 12:33:24 PM »
Huh, do you mind me asking in what country and city you were educated @Lanko? That doesn't seem very civilized. That type of obviously deviant behavior would have been reported in France, and the teacher delt with.
Also we sometimes lack things, but never colour crayons!  :o

However I'm not surprised you never studied poetry or writing. Why would you? That's meant to be extensively worked on in english/whatever-your-mother-tongue-is classes.
In "french class" we studied grammar, orthography, genres, poetry, theater, classics, did spelling tests, analyzing book chapters, and a lot of writing, creative writing, essays, dissertations, poems (damn I HATED those, still do)...
Then when we focus only on books and their meaning and style, it's call "literature class".

Artistic Ed is like you said - though I had separate music classes -  with drawing, collage, clay, ect.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline night_wrtr

« Reply #844 on: November 12, 2015, 02:50:29 PM »
1,107 words!

Offline Lanko

• Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #845 on: November 13, 2015, 12:43:29 AM »

All NaNo. Got it earlier too, there's a game of TV, finished 2 chapters and started another right when it started  ;D
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 12:45:08 AM by Lanko »

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
« Reply #846 on: November 13, 2015, 03:28:43 PM »
Got into a burst after my being sick. Almost finished the monthly writing comp entry and translated some terms of mountain climbing gear that I only knew in Dutch. (And to be fair musketonhaak sounds cooler than snap hook  :()

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #847 on: November 13, 2015, 04:03:25 PM »
Got into a burst after my being sick. Almost finished the monthly writing comp entry and translated some terms of mountain climbing gear that I only knew in Dutch. (And to be fair musketonhaak sounds cooler than snap hook  :()

Way cooler.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
« Reply #848 on: November 14, 2015, 01:09:00 AM »

If you mean these :

They are called carabiners. Or biners for short in the climbing slang. Never even heard of snap hook.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Lanko

• Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #849 on: November 14, 2015, 03:03:33 AM »

Had a nice start, then stopped for the game and the news after seeing what happened in France.
Was 22:00 here (01:00 now) when the news started, a little before Brazil x Argentina, and they kept coming during the game.

Since it's THE game in these parts, lots of crowds in the streets. Long after the game ended they remained in the street watching the news, a special block commenting the attacks. Shock everywhere. Dispersing only now.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 03:15:33 AM by Lanko »

Offline Lanko

• Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #850 on: November 14, 2015, 03:15:11 AM »
Huh, do you mind me asking in what country and city you were educated @Lanko? That doesn't seem very civilized. That type of obviously deviant behavior would have been reported in France, and the teacher delt with.
Also we sometimes lack things, but never colour crayons!  :o

However I'm not surprised you never studied poetry or writing. Why would you? That's meant to be extensively worked on in english/whatever-your-mother-tongue-is classes.
In "french class" we studied grammar, orthography, genres, poetry, theater, classics, did spelling tests, analyzing book chapters, and a lot of writing, creative writing, essays, dissertations, poems (damn I HATED those, still do)...
Then when we focus only on books and their meaning and style, it's call "literature class".

Artistic Ed is like you said - though I had separate music classes -  with drawing, collage, clay, ect.

I live in Brazil  :)

A few years later, i think when we were 11-13, a lot of classes made a petition complaining about her, two or three pages with names. She cried a lot, but changed little.
When i was about 20-23, my cousin studied there, i talked with a lot of people who work there and still remember me, they said that teacher changed a lot.

Hmm, now that i think about it, that could make a story. Stressed lady (with some kind of trauma) aggressively tries to teach/harden/prepare her children/students/etc. People then want to kick her out and she is shocked, but ends up changing when realizes what she's doing.  :'(  Haha, who knows. I will put that in the ideas file.
Also, we (at least me) only brought colored pencils and crayons if we had Art class. I was pretty relieved to toss them away deep somewhere  ;D. And i guess a lot of other students too. So that day we got pencils from a locker in the class, but no way to supply 30 or more kids!
Maybe that's why she used brown. Or maybe she was making a chocolate flower, who knows  ;D

And yes, "portuguese class" was such a chore. I don't know about other countries, but it feels those classes don't stimulate reading, not outside of "classics" and stuff like that, which most people, specially in school, don't like. The styles were the worst, though: romantism, secularism, realism, or whatever our writers were doing 50 or more years ago. Definitions of those concepts being asked in exams still gives me nightmares.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 03:17:52 AM by Lanko »

Offline Henry Dale

• Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
« Reply #851 on: November 14, 2015, 06:27:49 AM »

If you mean these :

They are called carabiners. Or biners for short in the climbing slang. Never even heard of snap hook.

Thanks Nora, I stand corrected  :)

So I did more research and apparently it's a linguistic mess.
The french have one word for both snap hooks and carabiners: un mousqueton
The dutch have two words: musketonhaak means snap hook, karabijnhaak means carabiner, but influence from french makes us use musketon (incorrectly) for both, even by mountain climbers here.
The english have the same difference: snap hook and carabiner, but they have no mix-up from french.

That made sense?

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
« Reply #852 on: November 14, 2015, 09:08:37 AM »
It does! As a rock climber though I use carabiners, quickdraws, ATCs, bolt plates ect. It depends on the kind of route your people climb as well, if they do trad or aid... Aid has a lot more vocabulary to pin down but instead of translating if recommend consulting a specialized website running the vocabulary for beginners. Less confusion then :p

Offline Henry Dale

• Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
« Reply #853 on: November 14, 2015, 09:46:31 AM »
It does! As a rock climber though I use carabiners, quickdraws, ATCs, bolt plates ect. It depends on the kind of route your people climb as well, if they do trad or aid... Aid has a lot more vocabulary to pin down but instead of translating if recommend consulting a specialized website running the vocabulary for beginners. Less confusion then :p

Haha, thanks for all the info. I won't make it too complicated on the readers though with all the terminology. (Poor readers) That and the fact the climbing gear in the story is mostly hand crafted or traded by nomads so I will try to stick to generalized terms.

PS Sorry people for hijacking the thread. Back to writing! (story is 929 words now)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 09:04:09 PM by Henry Dale »

Offline Lanko

• Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #854 on: November 15, 2015, 01:25:41 AM »