October 01, 2020, 01:16:56 PM

Author Topic: How much did you write today?  (Read 285490 times)

Offline ladygreen

Re: How much did you write today?
« Reply #390 on: April 28, 2014, 04:31:22 PM »
So, horror story this morning.  I got up, made myself some coffee and toast, sat down in my office with the windows wide open (to enjoy the lovely weather), and opened up my laptop - determined to utterly beat Chapter 9 into submission by 1pm.  And...

My last revision is gone.  Seriously.  Gone.

I must have accidentally closed it in a hurry at work (I write in the mornings before my meetings begin) and neglected to save it.  So no one to blame but me but WOW did that ever suck.  The good news is that it was only 2 hours worth of work.  The bad news is that IT WAS TWO HOURS WORTH OF WORK.

Chapter 9 and I are going to war.  Today.   >:(

Nasty! Are you using Word? if so you when it's open you can click the office button and see a list of recent docs. Anyway, commiserations. I've done the same in the past and it 'doth sucketh mucheth' to paraphrase the bard.

Yeah, I am using Word.  I searched and searched and couldn't find it anywhere...  However, all is good.  I was so angry that I banged out that chapter in just under four hours.  Lots of curse words came out of my office that afternoon.   :) 

Luckily, I remembered most of what I had written and I think it was better the second time around anyway.

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #391 on: April 30, 2014, 01:11:13 AM »
Managed 2263 words today! Rewrote an entire chapter that didn't feel right even after several edits. Very satisfied with the result!  :)
https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline DDRRead

« Reply #392 on: April 30, 2014, 06:02:15 PM »
Managed 2263 words today!

He shoots he scores! Nice one.

Nowt fer me Monday and Tuesday, and a piddling 387 today. Need to get a good session in tomorrow.

Offline Saraband

• Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #393 on: May 01, 2014, 01:50:59 AM »
1299 today. It's easier because I'm mainly doing rewritings of scenes I have pictured for a long time, so the words cause less of a strain to come out.

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

Offline ladygreen

« Reply #394 on: May 01, 2014, 09:24:59 PM »
1299 today. It's easier because I'm mainly doing rewritings of scenes I have pictured for a long time, so the words cause less of a strain to come out.

Don't you just love it when you have a clear picture like that - when you know exactly what you want?  I know I do.

Chapter 9 has been laid to rest.  DONE!  In four months, I have edited 43,000 words in my 133,000 word manuscript.  Just a little bit every day and eventually I will get there.   I can see the end....kind of...  ;D

Offline R.M.S

« Reply #395 on: May 03, 2014, 10:00:48 AM »
Gosh that's a lot of words! How long does it take you to write a book on average or does it depend on the book?
I wrote mine in bits and bobs so it took years, I have never tried to write one flat out like this. Maybe my next one I will give it a go  ;D
 “A sword that is a labour of length is sharper and far more reliable than one made in haste.” - Araman
"A sword that is a labour of length is sharper and far more reliable than one made in haste." - Araman
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Araman-R-M-S-ebook/dp/B00JDVWCGC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396685578&sr=8-1&keywords=araman

Offline Saraband

• Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #396 on: May 03, 2014, 11:30:38 AM »
Gosh that's a lot of words! How long does it take you to write a book on average or does it depend on the book?
I wrote mine in bits and bobs so it took years, I have never tried to write one flat out like this. Maybe my next one I will give it a go  ;D

The manuscript I am currently working on took me 8 months to write, amounting to a total of 160,000 words. But I have been doing major rewritings since then, so I wouldn't say that the book is written only because the first draft is completed. I'm certain that if you write less, is because you take more time to think of each sentence; I prefer to write like a madman, and beautify the work afterwards  :)

Offline R.M.S

« Reply #397 on: May 03, 2014, 12:24:00 PM »
I prefer to write like a madman, and beautify the work afterwards
I like doing a similar thing with bullet point type writing where I briefly say what is happening then go back and describe it later.
I have to be in the right mood to describe things as I hate repeating myself in what I write.

Do you write from beginning to end all the way through or jump around? For example, if I get a good idea I'll be writing say, chapter 15 before Iv'e reached or even thought of chapter 5! Then attach them together later.  :)
"A sword that is a labour of length is sharper and far more reliable than one made in haste." - Araman
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Araman-R-M-S-ebook/dp/B00JDVWCGC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396685578&sr=8-1&keywords=araman

Offline ladygreen

« Reply #398 on: May 03, 2014, 02:45:55 PM »
 “A sword that is a labour of length is sharper and far more reliable than one made in haste.” - Araman

I've been working on this book for about 2.5 years. It is my first attempt at writing a full length novel. Believe it or not, it used to be longer! I completed the first draft after about 8 months of writing and it's been mostly revisions since then- plot, character development, voice, etc. I think it's good to try to get the first draft out and not nitpick at that stage. Writing is mostly about revision and quite a bit of depth and beauty comes after months of pondering your first draft and going back to massage certain areas. Also world building takes time...if you want to create a truly unique and believable place with culture, politics, religion,etc. I think I've also learned a lot in the past 2.5 years, so hopefully my next book will come more easily as I've given many things much thought already.

Offline Saraband

• Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #399 on: May 04, 2014, 12:28:21 AM »
Do you write from beginning to end all the way through or jump around? For example, if I get a good idea I'll be writing say, chapter 15 before Iv'e reached or even thought of chapter 5! Then attach them together later.  :)

I prefer following an orderly approach, and don't fool around too much with the order of the chapters. When I plan the later parts of the book, and I want to write some nice scene I may have in store there, I use it as a bribe to get the previous writing done.

Offline DDRRead

« Reply #400 on: May 05, 2014, 01:59:18 PM »
Another good Bank Holiday Monday session for me: 2061 words today. Yay!

Offline DDRRead

« Reply #401 on: May 06, 2014, 12:09:29 PM »
516 today, could do more, but need to work up some notes for another story.

Offline DDRRead

« Reply #402 on: May 07, 2014, 03:36:18 PM »
541 today, and still haven't got around to working up the notes for that other story.

Offline ladygreen

« Reply #403 on: May 08, 2014, 02:26:27 PM »
Revamped Chapter 10 this week.  Edited 2,000 words yesterday and 2,700 today.  One more pass and I'm on to Chapter 11.  Feeling good this week.  Something in my coffee is working.   ;D

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #404 on: May 21, 2014, 03:53:14 AM »
It's been, what, five months since I've seriously sat down to write? Wow.

Edited chapter 1 today (and yesterday). Wrote a new prologue as well. Got a lot of new ideas for this new draft. Even got a big dry erase board for the thoughts. Gonna be a long productive next few months.
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

For book reviews - https://acerbicwriting.com/