October 30, 2020, 04:57:14 AM

Author Topic: How much did you write today?  (Read 291954 times)

Offline Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Kingkiller
  • Bookworm first, human second.
Re: How much did you write today?
« Reply #1680 on: September 13, 2020, 08:25:49 PM »
my fourth novel.
:o
Where are the other 3??

Congratulations, anyway ;D

Safely tucked away on my hard drive, where they can never embarrass me.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #1681 on: September 13, 2020, 08:27:38 PM »
Awwww I'm sure they're not that bad!!!
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #1682 on: September 14, 2020, 12:25:57 AM »
At 77,006 words, my fourth novel is completed. I think it's ma step down from the last thing I wrote, but I learned a lot from the process of writing it. Will be taking a few days off to plan and then diving into the next project.

Great work! And learning is a fantastic bonus. Onwards and upwards! :)

Offline Alex Hormann

• Kingkiller
« Reply #1683 on: September 20, 2020, 05:20:12 PM »
Back to writing the new project. 1200 words yesterday and will hopefully be complete by Christmas.

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #1684 on: September 24, 2020, 03:25:25 PM »
I haven't actually written anything today, but I did wake up at like 5:30am and decided to research Sumerian names, versions of the Arthurian legends throughout Europe, Aragonian naming conventions, Catalonian naming conventions, Occitan (the French side of the Spanish border) naming conventions, debated rewriting things to have my WIP start in a French inspired country, then a Catalonian-inspired country, then Aragonese, then back to Catalonia, then just Spanish, then back to... whatever nonsense it is now... but still low-key considering Aragonese-Spanish.

How are all of you guys doing?

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #1685 on: September 25, 2020, 01:02:06 AM »
That is both hilarious and relatable! ;D

After handing in a novel draft to my agent (...fingers crossed) I've moved on to a new project! Just working on something new and full of possibility is very energising. Of course, we're still in stage-4 lockdown here (though hopefully not for much longer) so I'm trying to hit my 1500 wordcount daily during an afternoon session where my (increasingly less) small child "plays quietly by herself". So some days that's going better than others...

Offline Ray McCarthy

« Reply #1686 on: September 25, 2020, 10:31:04 AM »
I haven't actually written anything today, but I did wake up at like 5:30am and decided to research Sumerian names,
I researched Sumer and Akkad and the names for my "The Mission's Talent". Some names are still used as surnames in the Syria, Iraq and Iran areas.
Because they wrote on clay which becomes like pottery when a town or village is burnt down, the writings have survived well compared to papyrus, parchment and paper. Some Chinese Emperor burnt a lot of their paper records and writings.
Some ancient words from those cultures have made it to English.
They gave us the Epic of Gilgamesh.  :)

Actually some Irish names, such as Donal, might be 2500 years old or more, mere youngsters compared to Sumerian names.
I made a list somewhere. I might post it on my website if anyone's interested. I've also collected old Norse and Scandi names for Dwarves. I also buy any baby name books cheap in charity shops and I've bought a couple of Irish Baby Names books new, one was bought in 1980 and is based on a quite old book and one was bought last year.

How do you spell an Irish name? However the owner of it says.
Síle, Sheila, Sheela, Sheelagh, Sheilagh are all pronounced about the same.
More variations for Méabh
Obviously Sumerian names are often more consistent in modern English translation.

My Blogs & Books. Available via Amazon, Apple, Barnes&Noble, Kobo, Tolino and Smashwords.

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #1687 on: September 25, 2020, 07:59:34 PM »
That is both hilarious and relatable! ;D

After handing in a novel draft to my agent (...fingers crossed) I've moved on to a new project! Just working on something new and full of possibility is very energising. Of course, we're still in stage-4 lockdown here (though hopefully not for much longer) so I'm trying to hit my 1500 wordcount daily during an afternoon session where my (increasingly less) small child "plays quietly by herself". So some days that's going better than others...

Oooohhhhh congrats!!!! That's really exciting!

@Ray McCarthy that's super interesting

Offline Alex Hormann

• Kingkiller
« Reply #1688 on: October 09, 2020, 04:08:10 PM »
I've been hitting a strong average of 1100-1200 words a day since I started the new WIP, and it's rarely felt a struggle to get that far. Really feeling good about this one.

Offline TypesWithHammers

« Reply #1689 on: October 10, 2020, 09:36:57 AM »
New to this forum, but it could be a useful spur to creativity, so hello!  :)

Just over half-way through my second novel in series, 55K words. Hitting a daily average of 1100 overall, but the slow start has kept the average down. Recently hitting 2K per day. 50 writing days so far. Guessing I should complete first draft by mid November, around 100K.

Offline Rincewind

« Reply #1690 on: October 11, 2020, 05:56:53 AM »
I'm new here too, and I like the idea of being able to share how much I've written as a way of getting motivated.
I usually aim for an average of 1,000 words per day, in the evenings after work at least, either on my first novel which I've been chipping away at or on the shorter pieces I've been working on in-between. I always think I'll end up getting more done on the weekends, but life gets in the way sometimes and that doesn't always end up happening.

Today was an exception, as I managed to get over 2,500 words down on the novel! When that wave of unexpected extra motivation comes along, I guess you've just got to ride it. I'm at 44k words right now and my aim is 75k; I'm aiming to get the first draft done by the end of the year.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #1691 on: October 11, 2020, 11:23:03 AM »
Yesterday, I wrote one sentence while driving. Last night I dreamed another sentence. I’m starting to retrieve them now from the memory banks.

Let’s see. While driving:
Brown ranks of corn lined the hills as we passed, dead soldiers knowing the harvester was near.

And dreaming:
The starry heat of day led the lions or was it wolf clan or I’m not sure to the water hole where something was happening that I don’t quite remember but thought would be quite Magical except. Could make up my mind what it was.

Yeah, both sentences need a bunch of work.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Alex Hormann

• Kingkiller
« Reply #1692 on: October 29, 2020, 05:30:47 PM »
Another good 1k day, and hit the 50k mark overall.