February 20, 2020, 09:29:20 AM

Author Topic: How much did you write today?  (Read 250267 times)

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
Re: How much did you write today?
« Reply #1560 on: December 15, 2018, 12:04:23 AM »
Oh my. Draft 1 complete at 7,305 words.

Yeah, this will be easy to cut down to 5K.
Not.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #1561 on: December 15, 2018, 07:46:59 AM »

Not.

@JMack  why do you need to cut it down to 5k?

Haven't written in ages. Trying to find time soon in the next few weeks.  Looking at some freelance stuff maybe too.

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #1562 on: December 15, 2018, 01:09:48 PM »

Not.

Haven't written in ages. Trying to find time soon in the next few weeks.  Looking at some freelance stuff maybe too.

@J.R. Darewood, I found another monthly competition at fantasy-writers.org which allows 5K stories. Since I seem to be motivated by competition and inspired by writing prompts, I’m giving it a swing. Especially since I finished our contest entry really early this month.

The prompt is fun too. Write a story that includes:
A feast
Decorating a tree
Songs sung once a year
A birth in unusual circumstances
And breaking into houses for altruistic reasons

Sound familiar? ;D
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #1563 on: December 16, 2018, 09:36:00 PM »

Not.

@J.R. Darewood, I found another monthly competition at fantasy-writers.org which allows 5K stories. Since I seem to be motivated by competition and inspired by writing prompts, I’m giving it a swing. Especially since I finished our contest entry really early this month.

A feast
Decorating a tree
Songs sung once a year

Sound familiar? ;D

Sounds very seasonal :)  Good luck @JMack !

I've never heard of fantasy-writers  is it good for longer critiques?  I'm hoping to have my WIP rewritten in early 2019.

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #1564 on: December 16, 2018, 09:58:55 PM »

Not.

A feast
Decorating a tree
Songs sung once a year

Sound familiar? ;D

Sounds very seasonal :)  Good luck @JMack !

I've never heard of fantasy-writers  is it good for longer critiques?  I'm hoping to have my WIP rewritten in early 2019.

@J.R. Darewood: I think so. @Nyki Blatchley is one of the folks behind it. I just added my comments to an 8,000 word short story of his. Other folks have been posting chapters of their books as they work through them over time.
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #1565 on: December 17, 2018, 01:17:17 AM »
6,700 words of first draft can be easily cut/distilled back down to 5000 I've found. ...easily... yep, easily. Don't question it. It can totally be done. *cries*  In all honesty, it's great for teaching yourself to self-edit and trimming off the fat of a story.
@CameronJohnston, you were so right. Draft 2 is 5,832 words without breaking a sweat, and much better.
But now I'll have to kill some darlings to get the rest.  >:(
www.starlit-lands.com

Online CameronJohnston

« Reply #1566 on: December 17, 2018, 01:12:45 PM »
I find I can cut a whole lot out when I'm trying to reach a set word limit, but sometimes I end up agonising over perfectly good parts that need to come out in order to reach the line.

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #1567 on: December 18, 2018, 12:08:37 AM »
I might just scream. I was using Autocrit, and after literally hours of editing, had things down to about 5,100 words and a quality score over 90. Somehow when I did another Save, or maybe before by some fumble-finger, I lost the whole middle of the edited version.

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

I have the unedited version, of course, but the thought of re-doing all that work!  :'(

Edit: it took maybe 30 minutes to get things back to some semblance. A little lost, but mostly good. Whew!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 02:09:41 AM by JMack »
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #1568 on: December 18, 2018, 03:36:15 PM »
I might just scream. I was using Autocrit, and after literally hours of editing, had things down to about 5,100 words and a quality score over 90. Somehow when I did another Save, or maybe before by some fumble-finger, I lost the whole middle of the edited version.

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

I have the unedited version, of course, but the thought of re-doing all that work!  :'(

Edit: it took maybe 30 minutes to get things back to some semblance. A little lost, but mostly good. Whew!

Hey @JMack, what has your experience with AutoCrit been like? I've heard good things and am considering using it to do a pass on my latest novel, but the webpage is a bit unclear as to how it works. They now charge a monthly fee? Do you have to sign up a subscription, or can you cancel at any time?

Essentially, what I'd like to do is subscribe for one month (or less) and run my whole book through it. Will they let you do that? I can't get any sense of the terms of service or how they charge from the web site.

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #1569 on: December 18, 2018, 04:17:42 PM »
Hi, @tebakutis. I find it super helpful. There are plenty of false-positives - things that really do belong as they are, words it thinks are dialogue tags when they're not, etc. But I can find weak stuff so easily, figure out solutions that are way better, and have the fun of re-running the overall score to see it move up over 90.

I bought a lifetime membership a year or so ago when they were having a deal. They've added membership levels since then, but I haven't explored the various new features, sticking to the editing platform.

For pricing and plans, go to https://www.autocrit.com/pricing. The only level that makes sense as a start is "Professional" at $30/month. I paid about $199 one time for lifetime, thank god. The Professional has an offer of $1 for 14 days. Without clicking into the deal, I don't know how cancellation works. The last time I looked, they offered a discount for a year's commitment,  which makes me think there's a full price month-to-month which you could cancel.

I really like it.
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #1570 on: December 18, 2018, 08:49:14 PM »
For pricing and plans, go to https://www.autocrit.com/pricing. The only level that makes sense as a start is "Professional" at $30/month. I paid about $199 one time for lifetime, thank god. The Professional has an offer of $1 for 14 days. Without clicking into the deal, I don't know how cancellation works. The last time I looked, they offered a discount for a year's commitment,  which makes me think there's a full price month-to-month which you could cancel.

I really like it.

Yeah, that's what I've seen before, but I couldn't find any clear statement on the website saying you could just buy one month and cancel. I'll look into it again and see. Glad you like it ... an editor on an anthology that published one of my stories awhile back used it, and it seemed like a great tool to get the low level repetitive mistakes all writers makes in their first draft.

Offline Ray McCarthy

« Reply #1571 on: December 22, 2018, 01:40:51 PM »
I recently finished first revisions of two drafts, so taking a break from writing. Reading plenty.
My Blogs & Books. Available via Amazon, Apple, Barnes&Noble, Kobo, Tolino and Smashwords.

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #1572 on: December 22, 2018, 03:12:33 PM »
"Monkey Weather" is 99.9% done at 4,998 words on a 5,000 word limit. It's set in the world of my "Meetings" story from a few months ago, and stars Marya pu Nova and the monkeys of Lankoor city again. (I posted an earlier draft on F-F in the critique area. Thanks, @Elfy for reading it and feedback.)

JMacksdotter read it last night and found two key paces for improvement and one final typo; so, that was the order of things for this morning.

Mrs. JMack is reading it now. Drum roll, please.

p.s., A re-write of "To the Ruins" is next. TTR was written for "Regrets & Redemption" in the monthly F-F contest. No word limit, since this one will be purely for its own sake and not for any contest at all.

p.p.s. "Monkey Weather" received an"A+" from Mrs. JMack (retired teacher, so, grading system).  ;D  I've posted it to the contest it was written for. Thank God. Now I can stop obsessing about it, and obsess about "To the Ruins."
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 06:04:01 PM by JMack »
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #1573 on: December 28, 2018, 05:25:09 AM »
So I went to my favorite cafe where my drinks are free to write for the first time in a while aaaaannnnnddd.... my favorite barista made me a fruit tea spiked with Jameson instead of a coffee so now I'm drunk.

Offline Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Valheru
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: January 04, 2019, 04:18:10 PM »
First day back at writing properly since before Christmas.

Getting around 1500 words done today, so I'm counting that as a good sign for the year ahead.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex