December 15, 2019, 08:11:30 AM

Author Topic: Grammar Quesiton...  (Read 1234 times)

Offline Matthew

Grammar Quesiton...
« on: May 29, 2019, 11:45:15 PM »
Normally I wouldn't bother people with this, but searching has turned up very little.

Essentially what I have is a place (or rather a city split into districts). Without going into too many details, there are the 'tops' which are basically the rooftops of each distinct area. They are nicknamed 'the tops' by the characters who live there.

I just can't decide whether this need's to be capitalised, or how. Should it be 'The Tops' or 'the Tops' or just 'the tops'. In prose, the latter 'tops' looks right to my eye, but I keep using 'the Tops' because I think it should be like that because it's a name of a place. Then again it's the name for a series of places, not one specifically.

It's been bugging me all night... Anyone have an opinion?

Offline Bender

Re: Grammar Quesiton...
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2019, 11:52:06 PM »
Capitalized.

It's like the Den or the Cave or the Square, a place to do stuff rather than generic rooftops.

But it depends on how specific you want to be. "Meet me at the Tops" is specific enough? If not, then tops should suffice.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

Offline Matthew

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2019, 12:12:47 AM »
Yea, that's my issue. It doesn't feel like a proper noun. In this world, the tops could refer to anyplace across the city at that level, so although you could say "Meet me at the Tops," that wouldn't narrow it down much. I guess you could say it's a different level of the city, almost like saying "they live on the Hills." Where the Hills would be the noun they use, but also just hills.

I agree that it seems to favour Tops, it just irks my eye whenever I type it like that, but I know there is other technically correct grammar that has the same effect (like a . before .)   which to me looks way too emoji so if I was writing casually I'd stick it after like ).

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2019, 01:05:15 AM »
Based on your last response, I vote for “tops”, lowercase.

Two thoughts:
1. I’m sick and tired of the If-it’s-capitalized-it-must-be-IMPORTANT! school of Fantasy writing.
2. By leaving it lowercase, you get to capitalize something more specific, such as maybe: “meet me at Garrett’s Tops” while normally “he ran through the tops”.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Matthew

Re: Grammar Question...
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2019, 03:41:47 AM »
Yea, I think I'd like that option the best. Over capitalising annoys me now end.

Offline Skip

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2019, 04:29:22 AM »
Looks like you've decided, but maybe this will provide some context. Let's suppose your character said, "Meet me on the rooftops." You wouldn't capitalize that, right?

But it also makes me wonder. Where? I mean, every building in the city has a top. Saying "Meet me in the tops" is a bit like saying "Meet me in the streets."
Visit Altearth

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2019, 08:06:45 AM »
I agree with the above, non capitalised because it's very generic for the people who live there.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2019, 02:48:14 PM »
Lowercase for sure in this situation. If you said, West Tops, now that's a discrete place. Using tops is akin to sewers or slums.

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline isos81

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2019, 07:54:15 AM »
1. I’m sick and tired of the If-it’s-capitalized-it-must-be-IMPORTANT! school of Fantasy writing.

Agreed :)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline IWFerguson

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2019, 08:04:34 AM »
After reading the question, I initially decided it should be capitalized, like, say, the Aleutian Islands. Multiple places are still places. However, after reading the responses, I'm fully convinced lowercase is correct.

I think, though, that it may depend on the POV and genre. If it's contemporary fantasy and omniscent, maybe caps are correct, but in another world/time/culture with POV character familiar with the term, lowercase fits the bill.
Belief's Horizon, where every river high enough has its naiad, and every sea worth its salt has its dragon.

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2019, 01:22:26 AM »
Unrelated to grammar calling them "tops" makes me immediately think of gay sex. Capitalizing helps. A little. But yeah I still think of gay sex. Are the people who live in the other part of the city called "the bottoms" ?

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2019, 01:44:55 AM »
Unrelated to grammar calling them "tops" makes me immediately think of gay sex. Capitalizing helps. A little. But yeah I still think of gay sex. Are the people who live in the other part of the city called "the bottoms" ?

My brother used call “top!” whenever we had to choose between bunk bed levels.
I was stuck with bottom.
Just saying.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Matthew

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2019, 05:16:54 AM »
I'm going to hope I can get that image out of my head now...

I think I'm going to stick with 'the tops'. It isn't actually a rooftop thing at all though. I just used that to save having to world-build for you guys, though I suppose I could have used sewer dwellers referring to street level as the tops would have worked too (still not what I've written though). In this world everyone from there knows what it means (so no capitals needed).

So yea, thanks for the help. It was bugging me.

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2019, 05:30:05 AM »
Jmack is far more wholesome than I am. Maybe it's just me...