August 25, 2019, 04:52:13 PM

Author Topic: Finished my novel, now what?  (Read 486 times)

Online Magnus Hedén

• High Lord of commas and Grand Master of semicolons
  • Godling
  • My name is Magnus. I make stuff up.
    • View Profile
    • My Patreon
Re: Finished my novel, now what?
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2019, 07:03:28 PM »
First of all, big congrats. It's a huge accomplishment.

Second: I agree that you shouldn't send it to agents unless you've gone through several thorough critiques and revisions. Your first, second, and third drafts aren't going to cut it, no matter who you are.

I'm a developmental editor and I can take a look at the first chapter for you (free of charge, of course). Usually a thorough critique of the first chapter will give you an idea of what needs working on with the rest of the book.
You can find stories on my Patreon
I'm also on Twitter and the Book of Faces

Offline isos81

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2019, 09:45:23 PM »
First of all, big congrats. It's a huge accomplishment.

Second: I agree that you shouldn't send it to agents unless you've gone through several thorough critiques and revisions. Your first, second, and third drafts aren't going to cut it, no matter who you are.

I'm a developmental editor and I can take a look at the first chapter for you (free of charge, of course). Usually a thorough critique of the first chapter will give you an idea of what needs working on with the rest of the book.

That's a very nice offer. :)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2019, 06:47:37 AM »
Thank you for the offer, guys. Right now I'm going nice and slow, so maybe once I'm ready I could notify you.

Online Magnus Hedén

• High Lord of commas and Grand Master of semicolons
  • Godling
  • My name is Magnus. I make stuff up.
    • View Profile
    • My Patreon
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2019, 07:24:43 AM »
Thank you for the offer, guys. Right now I'm going nice and slow, so maybe once I'm ready I could notify you.

It's good to let your material rest and come back to it; you'll find a lot of problems on your own that way. But don't hold back on showing it to others for critique for any other reason. I know it's difficult exposing your baby to the unforgiving eyes of others, but if you want to be a writer you may as well rip the band-aid. It's an integral part of improving your work.
You can find stories on my Patreon
I'm also on Twitter and the Book of Faces

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2019, 04:01:04 PM »
Note: thread locked on the request of the owner
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams